Mailing List Archive

Showing related story URI when element is also related media
I have a container element that is both a related story and related
media, where related story is the primary use.

When you add a bunch of these elements to a story, at least on 1.10.3,
you don't see any info about the story you've related to. So, if you add
a lot, it becomes a challenge to keep track of which one is which.
However, for each one that has related media associated with it, the URI
of the related media is visible at the story level where I (and
especially my users) would prefer to see the URI of the related story.

Any suggestions?

Chris

--------------------------------

Chris Schults
Web Developer
PCC Natural Markets
206-547-1222 x104
chris.schults@pccsea.com
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com

Sign up for PCC Fresh, a monthly newsletter filled with seasonal
recipes, exciting new products, and more:
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/enews
Re: Showing related story URI when element is also related media [ In reply to ]
On 14-Oct-09, at 8:57 PM, Schults, Chris wrote:

> I have a container element that is both a related story and related
> media, where related story is the primary use.
>
> When you add a bunch of these elements to a story, at least on 1.10.3,
> you don't see any info about the story you've related to. So, if you
> add
> a lot, it becomes a challenge to keep track of which one is which.
> However, for each one that has related media associated with it, the
> URI
> of the related media is visible at the story level where I (and
> especially my users) would prefer to see the URI of the related story.
>
> Any suggestions?

Can you post a screenshot, as I don't think I'm seeing this on my
(more recent) installations.

--
Phillip Smith // Simplifier of Technology // COMMUNITY BANDWIDTH
www.communitybandwidth.ca // www.phillipadsmith.com
RE: Showing related story URI when element is also related media [ In reply to ]
> Can you post a screenshot, as I don't think I'm seeing this on my
> (more recent) installations.

Sure:
http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/images/bricolage_related_stories.gif

Note: Each Related Story element is indeed related to another Bricolage
story.

Here is the element structure:

Story
- Subhead [required data element]
- Related Story [container element, is Related Story, is Related Media]
-- Alternate Title [optional data element]
- Related Story (non-Bricolage) [container element, is Related Media]
-- Title [required data element]
-- URI [required data element]

As you will see, when there is no related media or alternate title for
Related Story, there is no info to distinguish one related story from
another.

FYI, I did create a separate test element. First I checked only the
Related Story attribute. This works great as it displays the title of a
story when related. However, as soon as I checked the Related Media
attribute and went back to my story, the related story info was gone.
Instead, there is a blank URL placeholder for the related media. This is
what is shown in the screenshot.

Again, we're still using 1.10.3, so perhaps this has been fixed.

Thanks,

Chris
Re: Showing related story URI when element is also related media [ In reply to ]
On Oct 15, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Schults, Chris wrote:

>> Can you post a screenshot, as I don't think I'm seeing this on my
>> (more recent) installations.
>
> Sure:
> http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/images/bricolage_related_stories.gif
>
> Note: Each Related Story element is indeed related to another
> Bricolage
> story.

Then the URL is missing for some reason. I suspect that was fixed long
ago, though. 1.10.5 has this entry:

Improved the display of related media and story information in the
element
list, including links to preview them (Bug # 1293). [David]

I suggest an upgrade. And 2.0 definitely has this improved.

Best,

David
RE: Showing related story URI when element is also related media [ In reply to ]
> Then the URL is missing for some reason. I suspect that was fixed long
> ago, though. 1.10.5 has this entry:

Actually, that URL is for the related media. If a media asset is
related, then its URI is displayed. It appears that related media info
takes precedence over that of related story.

> Improved the display of related media and story information in the
> element
> list, including links to preview them (Bug # 1293). [David]
>
> I suggest an upgrade. And 2.0 definitely has this improved.

Yes, I know. One day, when the other projects die down. :o)

And, out of curiosity, what is the estimated release date of 2.0
(stable)?

Chris
Re: Showing related story URI when element is also related media [ In reply to ]
On 15-Oct-09, at 4:08 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Schults, Chris wrote:
>
>>> Can you post a screenshot, as I don't think I'm seeing this on my
>>> (more recent) installations.
>>
>> Sure:
>> http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/images/bricolage_related_stories.gif
>>
>> Note: Each Related Story element is indeed related to another
>> Bricolage
>> story.
>
> Then the URL is missing for some reason. I suspect that was fixed
> long ago, though. 1.10.5 has this entry:
>
> Improved the display of related media and story information in the
> element
> list, including links to preview them (Bug # 1293). [David]
>
> I suggest an upgrade. And 2.0 definitely has this improved.

Related stories in 1.11.2:
http://screencast.com/t/88SSbjmQY

Related stories in 1.10.5:
http://screencast.com/t/gESQy81q

Seems that the issue has been fixed.

Re: Showing related story URI when element is also related media [ In reply to ]
On Oct 15, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Phillip Smith wrote:

> Related stories in 1.10.5:
> http://screencast.com/t/gESQy81q

What about a related story with a related media?

David
Re: Showing related story URI when element is also related media [ In reply to ]
On 15-Oct-09, at 4:36 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Phillip Smith wrote:
>
>> Related stories in 1.10.5:
>> http://screencast.com/t/gESQy81q
>
> What about a related story with a related media?

Pretty sure that story has a related media element attached to it.