Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Cloning
On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> I see two variations on how to implement it. The first is adding a
> "Clone" button to the story profile. But what happens when it's
> clicked? Is the old story checked in to a desk and the cloned story
> checked out to you? Are they both still checked out to you? If the
> original story was retrieved from the library (rather than from a
> desk), should it be re-shelved?
>
> The other option is to have a "Clone" checkbox in the "Find Stories"
> list and a "Clone" link on un-checked out stories on desks. In that
> case, I imagine that the story would be cloned and the new copy checked
> out to you. The old copy would stay wherever it was.

I think I'd put the button on the Story object in My Workspace. I'd call
it "Copy" or "Make a Copy". Then when you click it a new story appears on
My Workspace next to the old one. It should have its title changed to
"Copy of TITLE" which is similar to Windows Explorer's cloning behavior.

I don't think it's a good idea for the Clone (or Copy) function to do any
checkin/checkout/move/shelve magic behind the scenes since there's no good
way to show that happening to the user.

-sam

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Cloning [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 08:52 PM, Sam Tregar wrote:

> I think I'd put the button on the Story object in My Workspace. I'd
> call
> it "Copy" or "Make a Copy". Then when you click it a new story
> appears on
> My Workspace next to the old one. It should have its title changed to
> "Copy of TITLE" which is similar to Windows Explorer's cloning
> behavior.

Good call on the title. I'll do that.

> I don't think it's a good idea for the Clone (or Copy) function to do
> any
> checkin/checkout/move/shelve magic behind the scenes since there's no
> good
> way to show that happening to the user.

Hm. Okay, that certainly would be easiest! I think I might remove the
"Trail" link on
"My Workspace" with "Copy", then, in order to have the room. Those
who'd be most interested in the Trail data can still get it on desks,
as well as part of the events listed under the "Log" link.

I'll think about this. What do the rest of you think about this issue???

Regards,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

[Bricolage-General] Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Cloning [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 09:56 PM, David Wheeler wrote:

> Hm. Okay, that certainly would be easiest! I think I might remove the
> "Trail" link on
> "My Workspace" with "Copy", then, in order to have the room. Those
> who'd be most interested in the Trail data can still get it on desks,
> as well as part of the events listed under the "Log" link.

I've now implemented this feature and it's available in CVS HEAD. On My
Workspace, the "Trail" link has been replaced by a new link, "Clone."
When you click this link, the story is cloned and put on your
workspace. The title has "Clone of " prepended to it. The original
story will have a "Story Cloned" event logged for it, and the newly
cloned copy will have a "Created as Clone" event for its first event,
followed by events that it was put on a desk and checked out to the
user who created it.

I decided to go with the term "Clone" to keep it consistent with the
API, as well as because it is for all practical purposes a clone.
However, I'd have no objection to changing it to "Copy" if folks
thought that made more sense. Please let me know which term you'd
prefer.

Thanks!

David