Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0
Hey there,

I'm trying to get 1.4.0 installed but unforunately I am completely new to Postgres. I originally tried to install 1.2.3 but decided to give up. Is there any way I can remove the old data from the database, including contraints and things?

This is the most current error I'm getting:

--------------------------------------
Becoming pgsql...
Creating database named bric...
Database named "bric" already exists. Drop database? [no] yes
Creating database named bric...
Database created.
Creating user named bric...
User named "bric" already exists. Drop user? [no]

Failed to create database user. The error from Postgres was:

ERROR: CREATE USER: user name "bric" already exists

Database handle destroyed without explicit disconnect, <STDIN> line 2.
*** Error code 1

It looks like even though I told it not to drop the user it still tried. Is that what's happening?

Thanks,

Brian Hann

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Hann, Brian wrote:

> I'm trying to get 1.4.0 installed but unforunately I am completely new
> to Postgres. I originally tried to install 1.2.3 but decided to give
> up. Is there any way I can remove the old data from the database,
> including contraints and things?

Sure. Just do:

dropdb -U postgres bric

Replace "bric" with whatever you Bricolage database is called and
"postgres" with the Postgres root username on your system.

> This is the most current error I'm getting:
>
> Creating user named bric...
> User named "bric" already exists. Drop user? [no]

You should answer "yes" here, or choose a new username that isn't already
in use.

> It looks like even though I told it not to drop the user it still tried.

No, it tried to create the user anyway. Um, which isn't what I thought it
would do. It should exit after you tell it not to drop the existing user.

-sam

RE: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Hann, Brian wrote:

> I got all that installed but I had to manually clean out template1.

What happened to template1? You aren't trying to load Bricolage into
template1, are you?

> There's still a fucntion (login_avail) that I can't remove so I
> commented out the SQL statement in the .sql file.

Can you give me more details? How are you trying to remove it and what
exactly is the result?

-sam

RE: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
I got all that installed but I had to manually clean out template1. There's still a fucntion (login_avail) that I can't remove so I commented out the SQL statement in the .sql file.

Right now I'm having problems starting Apache, something to do with CharTrans.pm. I'm all closed down now, maybe I'll try next week.

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 02:12 PM, Hann, Brian wrote:

> I got all that installed but I had to manually clean out template1.
> There's still a fucntion (login_avail) that I can't remove so I
> commented out the SQL statement in the .sql file.

Somehow you managed to put all the bricolage stuff in the template1
database. You don't want to do that. It should go into its own database.

If you're not using PostgreSQL for anything else, the best thing might
be to shut down the postmaster, delete the data directory, and run
initdb again. That'll create a brand new template1. Start the
postmaster and try to install Bricolage again.

> Right now I'm having problems starting Apache, something to do with
> CharTrans.pm. I'm all closed down now, maybe I'll try next week.

Do you have Text::Iconv installed? You'll need that, as well as the
supporting libiconv library.

HTH,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 02:11 PM, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Can you give me more details? How are you trying to remove it and what
> exactly is the result?

To drop a function, you have to give its complete signature, which is
"login_avail(varchar, numeric(1,0), numeric(10, 0))".

HTH,

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
you can drop the database - e.g. 'drop [database]' , right?

-mj

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 06:18 PM, Michael Johnson wrote:

> you can drop the database - e.g. 'drop [database]' , right?

You don't want to drop the template1 database. It's the database that's
used to create all other databases. Without it, you don't have a
database server.

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
yes, i didn't realize (didn't read the thread all the way through) that he
was referring to that one, originally. Next time I think I'll read the
subsequent posts before saying anyting.:)

(And the sentence would be dropdb [database], of course, not drop
[database].)

-mj

RE: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
Okay I actually got it working using bric_apachectl (this is version 1.4.0).

Yes I did accidently load 1.2.3 into template1, I've never used Postgres before so I hope that's forgivable :) I got it all cleaned out, though.

I would *like* to run bricolage as a vhost, since I already have stuff running on Apache. Here's what I have in my .conf file for bricolage:

<VirtualHost 10.7.4.164:80>
ServerName bricolage.servername.com
ServerAlias bricolage.servername.com

<Perl>
use File::Spec::Functions qw(catdir);
BEGIN {
$ENV{BRICOLAGE_ROOT} ||= '/usr/local/bricolage';
unshift(@INC, catdir($ENV{BRICOLAGE_ROOT}, 'lib'));
};
</Perl>

PerlPassEnv BRICOLAGE_ROOT
PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheConfig
</VirtualHost>

This is a separate conf file that I Include in Apache's httpd.conf. Will that work? Do I have to do special stuff with bricolage.conf and /usr/local/bricolage/conf/httpd.conf? I did change the NAME_VHOST and VHOST_SERVER_NAME but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.

Thanks,

Brian Hann

Re: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
On Monday, September 9, 2002, at 08:12 AM, Hann, Brian wrote:

> This is a separate conf file that I Include in Apache's httpd.conf.
> Will that work? Do I have to do special stuff with bricolage.conf and
> /usr/local/bricolage/conf/httpd.conf? I did change the NAME_VHOST and
> VHOST_SERVER_NAME but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.

I don't think so. Bricolage does a lot of Apache configuration under
the hood that's difficult to replicate. Your best option is to set the
NAME_VHOST and VHOST_SERVER_NAME directives in bricolage.conf, and then
simply include

PerlPassEnv BRICOLAGE_ROOT
PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheConfig

in your httpd.conf. Note that you won't need a NameVirtualHost
directive in your httpd.conf, as Bricolage will create it for you.

Once you have this configuration working, you can experiment with
manual configuration. Use the MANUAL_APACHE directive to have Bricolage
create /tmp/bricolage/bric_httpd.conf, and copy its contents into your
httpd.conf and then use these directives at the end of your httpd.conf:

PerlPassEnv BRICOLAGE_ROOT
PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheStartup

Read Bric::Admin (aka INSTALL) for more documentation on how to do this
stuff. The bricolage.conf file contains a lot of information on it, too.

HTH,

David

RE: [Bricolage-General] Installing Bricolage 1.4.0 [ In reply to ]
But if I run it as a separate process I won't be able to use the same port will I?