Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] hard breaks and word munging
One annoying thing is that if a user pastes a story into the cms with hard
breaks, those hard breaks combine the last word from the previous line and
the first word from the following line, so that you get 'smushedwords'
instead of 'smushed words'. Note that this happens if a user copies from an
email or even notepad.

*Is this a known issue? (i looked for it, but couldn't find anything
documented about it)
*Can/will anything be done about this?
*If so, when?

*****************************
Rachel Murray
Senior Producer

Primedia Internet Resource
& Technology Group

1440 Broadway, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10018
ph: 212-204-1428
email: rmurray@about-inc.com

RE: [Bricolage-General] hard breaks and word munging [ In reply to ]
Good find. You go, girl. Seems it shouldn't strip single returns, but
leave them in.

Keeping breaks, you you could end up with
weird
line breaks.
But this could be intended, like if it's a poem:

MARK but this flea, and mark in this,
How little that which thou deniest me is ;
It suck'd me first, and now sucks thee,
And in this flea our two bloods mingled be.
Thou know'st that this cannot be said
A sin, nor shame, nor loss of maidenhead ;
Yet this enjoys before it woo,
And pamper'd swells with one blood made of two ;
And this, alas ! is more than we would do.

Since Bric can't read minds, and doesn't know if hard breaks are intended or
not, it should leave them in.

Anyone object to this going into bugzilla?

J-

Re: [Bricolage-General] hard breaks and word munging [ In reply to ]
On Friday, August 16, 2002, at 08:57 AM, Merrick, Jason wrote:

> Since Bric can't read minds, and doesn't know if hard breaks are intended
> or
> not, it should leave them in.
>
> Anyone object to this going into bugzilla?

You *will* have a difference of opinion on this. It can be really hard to
edit text that's pasted in and kept literally, as I'm sure you know.

Rachel should enter one for the smushedwords problem. Be sure to specify
the OS and browser, since it's likely a problem related to that.

As for what you mention, Jason, I'll create a To Do item to add a checkbox
to the Bulk Edit page. When the box is checked, your line wrapping will be
preserved. When it's not checked, it won't. It will be unchecked by
default. That should keep everybody happy.

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394