Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Um.... okay
I know all these questions must be getting annoying. But....

When I try to start up apache with the virtual hosts stuff. I get this.

Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
*.*.*.* for ServerName

*.*.*.* being the IP address of the server.

What does that mean? This is all on a single machine? Can't I use
single word server names in virtual hosts? I must be missing something.

--
Brian Avis
SEARHC Medical Clinic

Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
On 5/10/02 2:29 PM, "Brian Avis" <brian.avis@searhc.org> claimed:

> What does that mean? This is all on a single machine? Can't I use
> single word server names in virtual hosts? I must be missing something.

Nope. You have to use a fully-qualified domain name:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#virtualhost

Read more about VirtualHosts under Apache 1.3.x here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
So let me see if I have this right.

If I want to have two vhosts running. One that is running all the stuff
that I have done before in mason and what have you and one for
bricolage. I need to make up two FQDN's to run them on?

I wonder how much stuff I am going to break by doing that. :)

And just so I'm clear, do I have to setup the second vhost in the apache
httpd.conf file and then tell the bricolage.conf file about it? Or does
bricolage setup the second vhost on it's own?

--
Brian Avis
SEARHC Medical Clinic
Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
On 5/10/02 3:15 PM, "Brian Avis" <brian.avis@searhc.org> claimed:

> So let me see if I have this right.
>
> If I want to have two vhosts running. One that is running all the stuff
> that I have done before in mason and what have you and one for
> bricolage. I need to make up two FQDN's to run them on?

Yes, that's correct. If you're just testing, though, you can use an
arbitrary one for Bricolage and set it in your hosts file. When you decide
you love it and want to put it into production, you can create a DNS record
for it.

> I wonder how much stuff I am going to break by doing that. :)

If your existing stuff uses the same domain name(s) it always has, it
shouldn't be a problem.

> And just so I'm clear, do I have to setup the second vhost in the apache
> httpd.conf file and then tell the bricolage.conf file about it? Or does
> bricolage setup the second vhost on it's own?

No, Bricolage will do it for you.

HTH,

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
Okay in my host file I added brico.uranus.com and mason.uranus.com as
aliases to my workstation where I am testing all this stuff out.

In httpd.conf I setup mason.uranus.com as a virtual host with all the
little tricks and stuff that I need to run the mason things I have been
doing.

Then in bricolage.conf I gave it the IP address of my workstation and
brico.uranus.com for it to setup a vhost with.

The problem is that both address behave exactly the same. I have no
idea how the bricolage stuff is picking up the settings from the
mason.uranus.com section but it appears to be doing so.

When I hit brico.uranus.com shouldn't it ask me for the default username
and password bit? For some reason I have the feeling that I am missing
something important here. :)

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

--
Brian Avis
SEARHC Medical Clinic
Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
On 5/10/02 3:44 PM, "Brian Avis" <brian.avis@searhc.org> claimed:

> When I hit brico.uranus.com shouldn't it ask me for the default username
> and password bit? For some reason I have the feeling that I am missing
> something important here. :)

Yes, it should. Send your bricolage.conf and httpd.conf to the list so we
can see what you're doing.

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
Okay, but no laughing. :P Just remember that this is my first go at
this sort of thing so I am making it up as I go along.

Here is the httpd.conf

# ServerType is either inetd, or standalone. Inetd mode is only
supported on
# Unix platforms.

ServerType standalone

ServerName uranus

# ServerRoot: The top of the directory tree under which the server's
# configuration, error, and log files are kept.

ServerRoot "/usr/local/apache"

# PidFile: The file in which the server should record its process
# identification number when it starts.

PidFile /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid

ScoreBoardFile /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.scoreboard

Timeout 300

KeepAlive On

MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

KeepAliveTimeout 15

MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10

StartServers 5

MaxClients 150

MaxRequestsPerChild 30

Port 80

User nobody
Group nobody

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

UserDir public_html

DirectoryIndex index.html index.phtml index.mhtml index.shtml

AccessFileName .htaccess

<Files .htaccess>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</Files>

UseCanonicalName On

TypesConfig /usr/local/apache/conf/mime.types

DefaultType text/html

<IfModule mod_mime_magic.c>
MIMEMagicFile /usr/local/apache/conf/magic
</IfModule>

HostnameLookups on

ErrorLog /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log

LogLevel warn

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

CustomLog /usr/local/apache/logs/access_log common

ServerSignature On

Alias /icons/ "/usr/local/apache/icons/"

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/icons">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/opt1/apache/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/opt1/apache/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

IndexOptions FancyIndexing

AddIconByEncoding (CMP,/icons/compressed.gif) x-compress x-gzip

AddIconByType (TXT,/icons/text.gif) text/*
AddIconByType (IMG,/icons/image2.gif) image/*
AddIconByType (SND,/icons/sound2.gif) audio/*
AddIconByType (VID,/icons/movie.gif) video/*

AddIcon /icons/binary.gif .bin .exe
AddIcon /icons/binhex.gif .hqx
AddIcon /icons/tar.gif .tar
AddIcon /icons/world2.gif .wrl .wrl.gz .vrml .vrm .iv
AddIcon /icons/compressed.gif .Z .z .tgz .gz .zip
AddIcon /icons/a.gif .ps .ai .eps
AddIcon /icons/layout.gif .html .shtml .htm .pdf
AddIcon /icons/text.gif .txt
AddIcon /icons/c.gif .c
AddIcon /icons/p.gif .pl .py
AddIcon /icons/f.gif .for
AddIcon /icons/dvi.gif .dvi
AddIcon /icons/uuencoded.gif .uu
AddIcon /icons/script.gif .conf .sh .shar .csh .ksh .tcl
AddIcon /icons/tex.gif .tex
AddIcon /icons/bomb.gif core

AddIcon /icons/back.gif ..
AddIcon /icons/hand.right.gif README
AddIcon /icons/folder.gif ^^DIRECTORY^^
AddIcon /icons/blank.gif ^^BLANKICON^^

DefaultIcon /icons/unknown.gif

ReadmeName README
HeaderName HEADER

IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t

AddEncoding x-compress Z
AddEncoding x-gzip gz

AddLanguage en .en
AddLanguage fr .fr
AddLanguage de .de
AddLanguage da .da
AddLanguage el .el
AddLanguage it .it

LanguagePriority en fr de

Addhandler perl-parsed phtml

AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

AddType text/xml .xml

BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive
BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

BrowserMatch "RealPlayer 4\.0" force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "Java/1\.0" force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "JDK/1\.0" force-response-1.0

#
#NameVirtualHost 12.34.56.78:80
#NameVirtualHost 12.34.56.78

NameVirtualHost 192.9.202.97

#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
#
#<VirtualHost ip.address.of.host.some_domain.com>
# ServerAdmin webmaster@host.some_domain.com
# DocumentRoot /www/docs/host.some_domain.com
# ServerName host.some_domain.com
# ErrorLog logs/host.some_domain.com-error_log
# CustomLog logs/host.some_domain.com-access_log common
#</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost mason.uranus.com>
ServerAdmin brian@searhc.org
ServerName mason
DocumentRoot "/opt1/web/docs"

<Directory "/opt1/web/docs">
Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /grants/ "/opt1/web/docs/grants/"
Alias /grants "/opt1/web/docs/grants/"
Alias /csp/ "/opt1/web/docs/csp/"
Alias /csp "/opt1/web/docs/csp/"
Alias /csp2/ "/opt1/web/docs/csp2/"
Alias /csp2 "/opt1/web/docs/csp2/"
Alias /cspdesign/ "/opt1/web/docs/cspdesign/"
Alias /cspdesign "/opt1/web/docs/cspdesign/"
Alias /sar/ "/opt1/web/docs/sar/"
Alias /sar "/opt1/web/docs/sar/"
Alias /vouchers/ "/opt1/web/docs/vouchers/"
Alias /vouchers "/opt1/web/docs/vouchers/"
Alias /phones/ "/opt1/web/docs/phones/"
Alias /phones "/opt1/web/docs/phones/"

ScriptAlias /magic/ "/opt1/web/magic/"
ScriptAlias /grants-cgi/ "/opt1/web/docs/grants/bin/"
ScriptAlias /csp-cgi/ "/opt1/web/docs/csp/bin/"
ScriptAlias /csp2-cgi/ "/opt1/web/docs/csp2/bin/"
ScriptAlias /phones-cgi/ "/opt1/web/docs/phones/bin/"

<Directory "/opt1/web/magic">
Options All
</Directory>

<Directory /opt1/web/docs/grants>
AuthType Basic
AuthName grants
AuthUserFile /opt1/web/docs/grants/ok_users
require user grants
</Directory>

#This bit is for Mason

PerlRequire /opt1/mason/handler.pl

Alias /mason /opt1/mason

<FilesMatch "*.mhtml">
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler HTML::Mason
</FilesMatch>

#This bit of for the stuff Tony wrote.

Action perl-parsed /magic/process.pl

PerlModule Apache::Registry
PerlModule Apache::DBI

<Files *perl>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::Registry
Options ExecCGI
allow from all
</Files>

<Location /magic>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::Registry
Options +ExecCGI
</Location>

</VirtualHost>

And here is the bricolage.conf which I didn't change much.

# Apache Settings. APACHE_BIN is the location of the Apache server
executable,
# and APACHE_CONF is the location of the Apache configuration file.
LISTEN_PORT
# is the port on which Bricolage will listen for connections. You must
also tell
# Apache to listen on this port in the configuration file specified in
# APACHE_CONF (using Listen, Port, or BindAddress). SSL_ENABLE turns on SSL
# support. Note that if SSL_ENABLE is turned on, then LISTEN_PORT *must*
be 80,
# or else Bricolage will not start. VHOST is the Virtual host name under
which
# Bricolage should run.
APACHE_BIN = /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
APACHE_CONF = /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
LISTEN_PORT = 80
SSL_ENABLE = Off
NAME_VHOST = 192.9.202.97
VHOST_SERVER_NAME = brico.uranus.com

# System User settings. These are the names of the system user and group
under
# which Apache and Mason run. Default to 'nobody' and 'nobody' if not
specified.
SYS_USER = nobody
SYS_GROUP = nobody

# Database settings. These are simply the name of the database in which all
# Bricolage data will be stored, the hostname and port for for the server on
# which the database is hosted, and well as the username and password the
# application can use to access that data. DB_NAME defaults to 'sharky',
DB_HOST
# and DB_PORT both default to null values (whatever the driver uses for the
# default will be used), DBI_USER defaults to 'castellan', and DBI_PASS
defaults
# to 'nalletsac'
DB_NAME = brico
# DB_HOST = localhost
# DB_PORT = 5432
DBI_USER = brico
DBI_PASS = brico

# Mason settings. These specify the location of the Bricolage UI Mason
# components. The defaults are the $BRICOLAGE_ROOT/comp for
MASON_COMP_ROOT and
# $BRICOLAGE_ROOT/data for MASON_DATA_ROOT, where $BRICOLAGE_ROOT is an
# environment variable set before starting the application. $BRICOLAGE_ROOT
# defaults to '/usr/local/bricolage' if it's not set, so if you have
Bricolage
# installed in a different location, be sure to set the BRICOLAGE_ROOT
# environment variable before you do anything! Also be sure that these
# directories exist on the file system and that SYS_USER specified above has
# permission to write to them.
MASON_COMP_ROOT = /usr/local/bricolage/comp
MASON_DATA_ROOT = /usr/local/bricolage/data

# Burner settings. The BURN_ROOT directive specifies the location of
Bricolage
# templates and the files output upon publishing or previewing content. The
# default is MASON_DATA_ROOT/burn. The INCLUDE_XML_WRITER directive
causes the
# Bricolage burn system to create and include an XML::Writer object as a
global
# in the template name space. The default is not to include the XML::Writer
# object. The XML_WRITER_ARGS directive passes arguments to the
instantiation of
# the XML::Writer object, should INCLUDE_XML_WRITER be switched on. All the
# arguments specified by the XML::Writer documentation for the new()
method may
# be used except the OUTPUT argument, which Bricolage handles so that
the output
# is sent to the same place as template Mason code sends its content.
Defaults
# to no arguments if unspecified.
BURN_ROOT = /usr/local/bricolage/data/burn
INCLUDE_XML_WRITER = No
# XML_WRITER_ARGS = NEWLINES => 1, UNSAFE => 1, DATA_MODE => 1,
DATA_INDENT => 4

# Authentication settings. AUTH_TTL is the amount of time, in seconds, a
user is
# allowed to be idle before he/she is automatically logged out. The
default is 8
# hours (28800 seconds). AUTH_SECRET is a random string that's used to
encrypt
# the authentication cookie information in a double-MD5 hashing scheme.
It's a
# good idea to change this value periodically so that anyone who might
have seen
# it before can't reverse-engineer the authentication cookie.
AUTH_TTL = 28800 # Seconds.
AUTH_SECRET =
^eFH5D,~3!f9o&3f_=dwePL3f:/.Oi|FG/3sd9=45oi%8GF*)4#0gn3)34tf\`3~fdIf^ N:

# Character translation settings. CHAR_SET is the character set of in
which data
# will be passed to the API. ISO-8859-1 should work for most Western
European
# users. Note that this setting is necessary as all data is stored in the
# database in Unicode. Defaults to ISO-8859-1 if not specified.
CHAR_SET = ISO-8859-1

# User login and password settings These settings specify the minimum
length of
# a user login as well as the minimum lenght of a user password. Both
default to
# '6' if they're not specified.
LOGIN_LENGTH = 6
PASSWD_LENGTH = 6

# Distribution settings. ENABLE_DIST, if set to 'yes' or 'on' or '1',
tells the
# API that the distribution engine can distribute resources within the local
# application process. If ENABLE_DIST is any other value, it is assumed
that the
# distribution Engine is running elsewhere. The default is '1' if
ENABLE_DIST is
# unspecified. DIST_ATTEMPTS tells the distribution engine how many times to
# attempt to distribute a resource before giving up. The default is 3.
# PREVIEW_LOCAL tells Bricolage to preview stories from its own Apache
process.
# If set to 'yes' or 'on' or '1', it will use its own process for
previewing.
# Otherwise, it will use a server from a destination with the "Preview"
checkbox
# checked for previews. If PREVIEW_LOCAL is active, you must be sure that
# SYS_USER has write access to MASON_COMP_ROOT/preview. The default is "1".
# PREVIEW_MASON tells Bricolage to use Mason for local previews. Only
set this
# directive to true if the files you create with your Templates contain
Mason
# code. This directive has no effect unless PREVIEW_LOCAL is active. The
default
# is "0". DEF_MEDIA_TYPE designates the default media type for assets where
# Bricolage cannot ascertain the media type. Defaults to "text/html" if not
# specified.
ENABLE_DIST = 1
DIST_ATTEMPTS = 3
PREVIEW_LOCAL = 1
PREVIEW_MASON = 0
DEF_MEDIA_TYPE = text/html

# Alert Settings. ALERT_FROM is the email address that will appear in
the 'From'
# header of alerts emailed to users. ALERT_TO_METH specifieds which
header to
# use for identifying alert recipients. Use 'to' if you want everyone who
# receives the same alert to see who else received it. Use 'bcc' if you
don't
# want anyone to see who else got an alert, or if you just want to save the
# bandwidth. Defaults to 'bcc'.
ALERT_FROM = webmaster@someserver.foo.com
ALERT_TO_METH = bcc # Can also be 'to'

# SMTP setting. This is just the address for an SMTP server through
which alerts
# can be sent.
# SMTP_SERVER = smtpapps.someserver.foo.com

# Full search setting. By default, Bricolage looks for search strings in the
# database only at the beginning of the fields. The reason for this is
that, if
# it looks for the search string anywhere within the result fields, it
cannot
# #use any database indexes, and therefore could be much slower. But it
depends
# on #how many records there are. Set this configuration directive to
"On" or
# "Yes" or #"1" if you wish to enable the slower subsearch approach --
if, for
# example, you don't have many records in your database.
FULL_SEARCH = Off

# Output Channel file naming settings. All files burned to the file
system must
# be named (of course!), and they're named for the "File Name" and "File
# Extenstion" properties of the Output Channel they're getting burned
to. You
# can give these properties whatever values you want (as long as they're
legal
# on your file system!), but here you can set some defaults that all Output
# channels will start with. DEFAULT_FILENAME will default to 'index' and
# DEFAULT_FILE_EXT will default to 'html' if you don't set them here.
DEFAULT_FILENAME = index
DEFAULT_FILE_EXT = html

# Template loading. Add a line of arbitrary perl code to this directive, and
# that code will be executed at startup time in the context of your
Templates.
# That is, if any of the code you add here exports functions, they'll be
# available in your templates.
# PERL_LOADER = use CGI; use Apache::DBI;

# FTP settings - see Bric::Admin for details
ENABLE_FTP_SERVER = Off
# FTP_ADDRESS = 127.0.0.1
# FTP_PORT = 2121
# FTP_DEBUG = 1
# FTP_LOG = /usr/local/bricolage/log/ftp.log

Hopefully that is all you need. :)

--
Brian Avis
SEARHC Medical Clinic
Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
On 5/10/02 3:59 PM, "Brian Avis" <brian.avis@searhc.org> claimed:

> NameVirtualHost 192.9.202.97
>
> <VirtualHost mason.uranus.com>
> ServerAdmin brian@searhc.org
> ServerName mason

Let's simplify this a little. An asterisk will just use the default IP. In
fact, because you have the NAME_VHOST directive set in bricolage.conf, you
may not need it here -- I can't remember for sure, but if you don't need it,
you'll see a warning in the Apache error log -- no big deal, though.

NameVirtualHost *

<Virtualhost *>
ServerName mason.urans.com
ServerAlias mason
# ...etc.
</VirtualHost>

And in bricolage.conf, try this:

> NAME_VHOST = *
> VHOST_SERVER_NAME = brico.uranus.com

See how that works.

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
Okay I put those changes in and brico.uranus.com and mason.uranus.com
both still behave exactly the same. And I am feeling very confused. I
think I need a nap. :)

--
Brian Avis
SEARHC Medical Clinic
Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
Try this:

in your httpd.conf

#NameVirtualHost 192.9.202.97 # comment out this directive since it is
in bricolage.conf

PerlPassEnv BRICOLAGE_ROOT
PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheConfig

<VirtualHost mason.uranus.com>
ServerAdmin brian@searhc.org
ServerName mason
DocumentRoot "/opt1/web/docs"
..etc..
</VirtualHost>

and go with David's suggestion on bricolage.conf

Marlon

Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
Brian Avis wrote:
> I know all these questions must be getting annoying. But....
>
> When I try to start up apache with the virtual hosts stuff. I get this.
>
> Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
> *.*.*.* for ServerName
>
> *.*.*.* being the IP address of the server.
>
> What does that mean? This is all on a single machine? Can't I use
> single word server names in virtual hosts? I must be missing something.

Try adding

*.*.*.*
<fqdn> <simple name>

for example:

192.168.100.1
homer.mydomain.com
homer

to /etc/hosts

Make sure you have the correct resolution order in /etc/host.conf (first
hosts, then bind).

Bye

--
Rodolfo Baselli
De Agostini Professionale

Re: [Bricolage-General] Um.... okay [ In reply to ]
Tried that just now. Didn't work, mason.uranus.com and
brico.uranus.com both still behave exactly the same. Meaning that no
matter which page you go too you get exactly the same thing. Can't
figure out why and it is driving me crazy. :)

And by the way, thanks everyone for all the help so far.

--
Brian Avis
SEARHC Medical Clinic