to setup two IP addresses to get SSL to work?

--
Brian Avis
SEARHC Medical Clinic
Juneau, AK 99801
(907) 463-4049
cd /pub
more beer
Re: [Bricolage-General] Virtual Hosts [ In reply to ]
On 5/10/02 11:45 AM, "Brian Avis" <brian.avis@searhc.org> claimed:

> Okay, so I am reading through the documentation on setting up virtual
> hosts.
>
> The Bricolage docs just talk about making sure that the LISTEN_PORT is
> set to 80 if SSL is enabled. And it also says this, "Also note that if
> the | SSL_ENABLE| is turned on, then a |NAME_VHOST . ':443'| VirtualHost
> directive will also be created by Bricolage", not sure what that means
> exactly. :)

Internally, Bricolage dynamically adds information to your httpd.conf when
you start it. That means that it creates VirtualHost directives on the fly.
If you have SSL_ENABLE on, it will create two of them -- one for port 80 and
one for port 443. Both will use the NAME_VHOST directive to name them, so if
you use an IP address in your NAME_VHOST directive, it'll use that IP. But
then, that's not really virtual hosting, since it'll take over the server.

> At any rate the Apache docs say that one reason to use IP_based vhosts
> as opposed to name_base vhosts is "Name-based virtual hosting cannot be
> used with SSL secure servers because of the nature of the SSL protocol".
> Is this something that has changed recently in Apache? Or will I need
> to setup two IP addresses to get SSL to work?

Not AFAIK. I've not had a problem with this. Try it in a non-production
environment and see what happens!

HTH,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Virtual Hosts [ In reply to ]
On 5/10/02 2:18 PM, "Michael" <michael@insulin-pumpers.org> claimed:

> I don't quite understand why the BRIC developers don't want to
> implement this very nice feature, but .... sigh..... such is life.
> I'll continue to patch my system with each new release.

We're willing to consider it, and your justifications for it are
well-argued. As I said a few weeks ago, if you provide clean patches against
CVS HEAD, we'll look at them carefully.

Regards,

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Virtual Hosts [ In reply to ]
> On 5/10/02 11:45 AM, "Brian Avis" <brian.avis@searhc.org> claimed:
>
> > Okay, so I am reading through the documentation on setting up virtual
> > hosts.
> >
> > The Bricolage docs just talk about making sure that the LISTEN_PORT is
> > set to 80 if SSL is enabled. And it also says this, "Also note that if
> > the | SSL_ENABLE| is turned on, then a |NAME_VHOST . ':443'| VirtualHost
> > directive will also be created by Bricolage", not sure what that means
> > exactly. :)
>
> Internally, Bricolage dynamically adds information to your
> httpd.conf when you start it. That means that it creates VirtualHost
> directives on the fly. If you have SSL_ENABLE on, it will create two
> of them -- one for port 80 and one for port 443. Both will use the
> NAME_VHOST directive to name them, so if you use an IP address in
> your NAME_VHOST directive, it'll use that IP. But then, that's not
> really virtual hosting,
>

> since it'll take over the server.

Yeah.... that's the problem with standard Bric. I makes it difficult
to run on a production server with normal httpd service.

I've been running my patched version of Bric::1.2.3 for a couple of
months now on ports 81 and 444 in addtion to having a standard
mod_per/ssl enabled apache running on ports 80 and 443. Virtual
hosting works normally with the patches on any IP/port combination
you migh like to use and does not have to take over the main server
process.

I don't quite understand why the BRIC developers don't want to
implement this very nice feature, but .... sigh..... such is life.
I'll continue to patch my system with each new release.

Anyone wanting the patches can feel free to contact me and I send
them to you.
Michael@Insulin-Pumpers.org