Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Couple of questions
I'm just learning to create Bric content and have run into a couple
of things I don't understand.

I've created a "story" and added a page -- views and previews fine

upon adding a second page, that views fine, but when I ask to
"preview" the content I can only get the "first" page. How do you
preview the second page which should be named index2.html according
to the docs for multi-page elements???

Second: when I try to publish this document or one with only one page
(just in case there's a problem with multipage docs), I get a
message that says:

can not publish asses "first_story" because there are not
Destinations associated with its output channels."

sigh..... The output channel is set to the default "web" which has
pre and post blank, filename 'index', ext 'html'

What's needed to make this work?? (besides better docs) :-)

Michael
Michael@Insulin-Pumpers.org

Re: [Bricolage-General] Couple of questions [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/02 11:46 AM, "Michael" <michael@insulin-pumpers.org> claimed:

> upon adding a second page, that views fine, but when I ask to
> "preview" the content I can only get the "first" page. How do you
> preview the second page which should be named index2.html according
> to the docs for multi-page elements???

You could always type in the URL to index2.html -- that should work. But
what your'e really going to want to do is create links to the other pages in
your story. I think that Bric::AdvTemplates has more on that.

> Second: when I try to publish this document or one with only one page
> (just in case there's a problem with multipage docs), I get a
> message that says:
>
> can not publish asses "first_story" because there are not
> Destinations associated with its output channels."

Your story is based on a story type you created in the Element
Administrator. Go into that Element profile and add the output channels to
which you want to publish stories of that type.

HTH,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Couple of questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Michael wrote:

> > You could always type in the URL to index2.html -- that should work.
>
> Tried that, says it's not found

The second page is actually index1.html, isn't it?

> That appears to be correct as it stands. I'm using the element type
> "Story". The profile for that story is set for a primary output of
> "web" which contains the sub-element pages (does not have an output
> channel).

Does "Web" have a preview and publish server setup in
the Distribution manager (under Admin => System in the UI)?

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-General] Couple of questions [ In reply to ]
> On 4/22/02 11:46 AM, "Michael" <michael@insulin-pumpers.org>
> claimed:
>
> > upon adding a second page, that views fine, but when I ask to
> > "preview" the content I can only get the "first" page. How do you
> > preview the second page which should be named index2.html according
> > to the docs for multi-page elements???
>
> You could always type in the URL to index2.html -- that should work.

Tried that, says it's not found

> But what your'e really going to want to do is create links to the
> other pages in your story. I think that Bric::AdvTemplates has more
> on that.

I suspected as much, I'm content for the moment to create a single
page and trace through the process from start to end of generating
content using this tool.

> > Second: when I try to publish this document or one with only one page
> > (just in case there's a problem with multipage docs), I get a
> > message that says:
> >
> > can not publish asses "first_story" because there are not
> > Destinations associated with its output channels."
>
> Your story is based on a story type you created in the Element
> Administrator. Go into that Element profile and add the output
> channels to which you want to publish stories of that type.

That appears to be correct as it stands. I'm using the element type
"Story". The profile for that story is set for a primary output of
"web" which contains the sub-element pages (does not have an output
channel).

"web" does not specifiy either a "pre" or "post" field. The HELP
explaination about these fields is a bit vague. I'd assume that if
the are blank that the tool still works but the content would be
placed at the root of the server. More questions on this later.

Still stuck trying to publish. What have I missed?

Re: [Bricolage-General] Couple of questions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Michael wrote:

> > Does "Web" have a preview and publish server setup in
> > the Distribution manager (under Admin => System in the UI)?
>
> Under Admin -> System there is no UI, only
> Preferences, Users, Groups, Alert_Types, User_Override

Oh, sorry, that should have been "Destinations" under "Admin =>
Distribution". I misplaced my "Bricolage Double-Speak" translator!

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-General] Couple of questions [ In reply to ]
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Michael wrote:
>
> > > You could always type in the URL to index2.html -- that should work.
> >
> > Tried that, says it's not found
>
> The second page is actually index1.html, isn't it?

DOH!!
yeah (feeling dumb...) it's there...

> > That appears to be correct as it stands. I'm using the element type
> > "Story". The profile for that story is set for a primary output of
> > "web" which contains the sub-element pages (does not have an output
> > channel).
>
> Does "Web" have a preview and publish server setup in
> the Distribution manager (under Admin => System in the UI)?

Under Admin -> System there is no UI, only
Preferences, Users, Groups, Alert_Types, User_Override

?????

Re: [Bricolage-General] Couple of questions [ In reply to ]
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Michael wrote:
>
> > > Does "Web" have a preview and publish server setup in
> > > the Distribution manager (under Admin => System in the UI)?
> >
> > Under Admin -> System there is no UI, only
> > Preferences, Users, Groups, Alert_Types, User_Override
>
> Oh, sorry, that should have been "Destinations" under "Admin =>
> Distribution". I misplaced my "Bricolage Double-Speak" translator!

Ok, found it. but...... the HELP button is "empty" and a grep of the
documentation reveals that there is nothing on "Distribution" other
than a description of the config file parameters which are set
appropriately to use bric for preview and an external server for
doc delivery.

What's the function of the various check-boxes, use of the Name,
etc... Since I didn't see a request in any of the management tools
for "Destination" I'm kinda curious. How this gets used and how it
differs from the actual destinations 'web', etc....

The whole output process is a bit mysterious. There is no cohesive
explaination of

pre
post
slug

and how all of this realates to the bric doc root, the web server
root (if applicable) and the file system root. I'm trying to sort all
this out by trial and error, but a paragraph from someone that knows
would save a lot of time. Knowing how the parameters should be set
would help immensly in designing the document presentation structure
for the server that will deliver the docs AND how to configure it.
Michael@Insulin-Pumpers.org

Re: [Bricolage-General] Couple of questions [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/02 3:03 PM, "Michael" <michael@insulin-pumpers.org> claimed:

> Ok, found it. but...... the HELP button is "empty" and a grep of the
> documentation reveals that there is nothing on "Distribution" other
> than a description of the config file parameters which are set
> appropriately to use bric for preview and an external server for
> doc delivery.

It has been on the to do list for a while for some documentation to be
written. Help is also missing for a number of screens. Patches welcome.

> What's the function of the various check-boxes, use of the Name,
> etc... Since I didn't see a request in any of the management tools
> for "Destination" I'm kinda curious. How this gets used and how it
> differs from the actual destinations 'web', etc....

Destinations have entirely to do with the distribution of files to your
production servers. Output channels are ways of formatting the same content
for output to different devices (web, wap, PDF, etc.). You can send the
files produced by publishing a story to an output channel to multiple
destinations, each of which may represent multiple servers.

> The whole output process is a bit mysterious. There is no cohesive
> explaination of
>
> pre
> post
> slug
>
> and how all of this realates to the bric doc root, the web server
> root (if applicable) and the file system root. I'm trying to sort all
> this out by trial and error, but a paragraph from someone that knows
> would save a lot of time. Knowing how the parameters should be set
> would help immensly in designing the document presentation structure
> for the server that will deliver the docs AND how to configure it.

Pre is if you want a directory name to go in front of your URI. This is
useful for publishing the same content in the same format, but something
else is different, e.g., it's in a different language. Post is the same,
only it applies the directory name to the end of the URI -- just before the
file names. So if you publish a story with the URI
/books/review/2002/04/22/gamma to an output channel with the Pre field set
to "fr", it will be burned and distributed to
/fr/books/review/2002/04/22/gamma. And if you set the Post field to, say,
"email", it will be burned and distributed to
/books/review/2002/04/22/gamma/email. Set them both to get
/fr/books/review/2002/04/22/gamma/email.

The slug is a one-word description of the story, and it will be used for the
directory name of the story itself. In the above example, I used "gamma".

All of this assumes that you use the default URI preference settings, but
should apply pretty generally.

HTH,

David