Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] The Slug
In our install of Bric, slug for a story type without a fixed cover is
optional. If the user doesn't enter it, it does not get appended to the
URI.

This seems bad to the point of being a bug. If an install is using dates to
format the URI, 2 users creating stories in the same category, without
slugs, on the same day will overwrite each other's work.

If the install is not using date in the URI, then not only will the 2 users
overwrite each other's work, they'll also overwrite the cover for that
category as well.

Both of these things seem like they could be fairly frequent occurrences.
In fact, they've happened twice during our testing, and we've only published
a hundred or so stories. So I ask

1) Is slug optional in non-fixed-URL story types? Or is it a config
somewhere?
2) If it is optional, why?

Based on our usage so far, I think we should make it a fairly high-priority
item to make slug required in non-fixed-URI story types. Or make its
'requiredness' configurable.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason
Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 09:31 AM, Merrick, Jason wrote:

> In our install of Bric, slug for a story type without a fixed cover is
> optional.  If the user doesn't enter it, it does not get appended to
> the URI.

<snip />

IIRC, the slug was required for non-fixed stories. However, that may
have changed with the recent introduction of URI building preferences.
It is of course totally optional in the construction of the URI; if you
don't have it included in your URI preference, it won't be used -- and
there would be no point in requiring it then, either.

So what I suggest is this: If it is a part of the URI preference, then
it should be required. Otherwise, it should not. If it doesn't work this
way (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't), please file a bug.

http://bricolage-bugzilla.thepirtgroup.com/

Thanks,

David

David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@kineticode.com ICQ: 15726394
Yahoo!: dew7e
Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> IIRC, the slug was required for non-fixed stories.

I don't think so - it's not red and the Javascript doesn't check for it.

> So what I suggest is this: If it is a part of the URI preference, then
> it should be required. Otherwise, it should not. If it doesn't work this
> way (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't), please file a bug.

Agreed. I'd also like to see some, possibly optional, check to prevent
overwriting an existing story. It could be as simple as checking to see
if any other active story has the same URI as the story being created.
What do you think?

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 10:41 AM, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Agreed. I'd also like to see some, possibly optional, check to prevent
> overwriting an existing story. It could be as simple as checking to see
> if any other active story has the same URI as the story being created.
> What do you think?

Yes, URI should be globally unique for all business assets (story and
media, inclusive). I kinda thought it was already, but maybe not. Ah,
maybe that's because a single story can have multiple URIs, eh? Do we
compromise and just make the primary URI globally unique, or do we make
all the other possible URIs unique, too?

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> Yes, URI should be globally unique for all business assets (story and
> media, inclusive). I kinda thought it was already, but maybe not.

I don't think we're doing any kind of checking at the moment... Bric will
happily take the same slug, category, output channel and cover date ten
times in a row!

> Ah, maybe that's because a single story can have multiple URIs, eh?

True.

> Do we compromise and just make the primary URI globally unique, or do we
> make all the other possible URIs unique, too?

I think we need them all to be unique, although I can imagine an argument
to make it optional...

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
Hello,

To make URIs unique, what about an option to automatically set story id as
slug?

Vladis

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
>On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Vladimir Tomasovic wrote:
>
>> To make URIs unique, what about an option to automatically set story id as
>> slug?
>
>Or, perhaps easier, to include story_id as one of the possible fields in
>the URI Format Pref. This would accomplish the same goal, I think.
>
>-sam

Though it would still be nice if Bricolage had another method of
checking the uniqueness of a URI. I could imagine that a site might
not want story_ids in the URIs to keep the site's URIs simpler, but
would still want Bricolage to prevent them from overwriting previous
content.

-robert wise

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 11:22 AM, Vladimir Tomasovic wrote:

> To make URIs unique, what about an option to automatically set story id as
> slug?

That's an idea, and perhaps we could make that part of the option (when we
add an option). OTOH, the Story ID is something that's designed to be used
internally. It really should have little or no meaning outside of a
database context.

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 11:25 AM, Robert Wise wrote:

> Though it would still be nice if Bricolage had another method of checking
> the uniqueness of a URI. I could imagine that a site might not want
> story_ids in the URIs to keep the site's URIs simpler, but would still
> want Bricolage to prevent them from overwriting previous content.

Yes, precisely. I think that story ID really should remain an internal
identifier, and not gain meaning outside of Bricolage. That way lies
danger -- particularly if you're using SOAP to move assets from one
install to another.

Regards,

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
> Or, perhaps easier, to include story_id as one of the possible fields in
> the URI Format Pref. This would accomplish the same goal, I think.

I think this is a good idea. We also had this discussion among our
our testers, and we thought uri+objectid would be a good unique identifier.

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 08:46 PM, Marlon Bermas wrote:

> I think this is a good idea. We also had this discussion among our
> our testers, and we thought uri+objectid would be a good unique
> identifier.

Again, I'd like to point out that using the Story ID as a unique
identifier presents serious problems for stories moved via SOAP from one
Bricolage install to another. Database IDs should have no meaning outside
of the system. I strongly prefer that we have solid rules about the use of
the URI preference and the slug to maintain uniqueness of URIs.

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> Again, I'd like to point out that using the Story ID as a unique
> identifier presents serious problems for stories moved via SOAP from one
> Bricolage install to another.

I'm unconvinced, for two reasons. First, using the SOAP interface to move
stories is an edge case and we shouldn't allow it to influence our
judgement about the rest of the system. Second, it would be an optional
feature and not used in the default URI format setting. If the user wants
to use the story ID in their URIs, why arbitrarily stop them?

Perhaps what we really need is a GUID for assets. I considered
implementing one as part of the SOAP interface but I decided it wasn't
truely necessary to meet any of the functionality goals. But if you want
something that can identify a story across multiple servers then what you
really need is some sort of GUID. No combination of user-specified
properties is going to be enough.

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-General] The Slug [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 09:16 PM, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Perhaps what we really need is a GUID for assets.

Yes, that's a solution I would go for.

David

David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394