Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] newbie help needed
I have bricolage installed and it appears to be working. I'm trying
to figure out how to set up the basic configuration for publishing
and am a bit stumped by some of the terms that are not explained in
the documentation.

A few questions:

PUBLISHING
1) Output Channel Profile
Pre:
Post:

what are Pre and Post and how do they relate to the underlying file
system. For example, if the docs are to be published to virtual host
"myhost" whose http directory is specfied as:

DocumentRoot /home/myhost/public_html

and I want to publish a document to:

/home/myhost/public_html/mystories/index.html

what would be the settings for Pre: and Post:

What does the "Template Include" drop down box do?? Currently this
only has "Add to Include"

How do "Categories" relate to the above (if at all)??

Thanks
Michael
Michael@Insulin-Pumpers.org

Re: [Bricolage-General] newbie help needed [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 13:18, Michael wrote:

> what are Pre and Post and how do they relate to the underlying file
> system. For example, if the docs are to be published to virtual host
> "myhost" whose http directory is specfied as:

Aren't these explained if you click the "Help" button in the Output
Channel profile? What they do is add another directory name to your URI,
and therefore to the file system path where the files get written. So,
if you have a story in category /foo/bar/bin/, and you publish it to an
Output Channel with the pre-path of "larry", its URI will be
/larry/foo/bar/bin. Post-path is much the same: a post-path of "larry"
will yeield /foo/bar/bin/larry.

> DocumentRoot /home/myhost/public_html
>
> and I want to publish a document to:
>
> /home/myhost/public_html/mystories/index.html
>
> what would be the settings for Pre: and Post:

Well, if you set up a category called "mystories", you don't need a pre
or post at all. That would be the recommended approach. The pre and post
paths are really there to be used for specific purposes, such as
publishing a story in another language, or publishing a printable
version of a story.

> What does the "Template Include" drop down box do?? Currently this
> only has "Add to Include"

That's likely because there is only one Output Channel in your system.
If you add others, you can have their templates included in other OCs.
This works much like multiple component roots in Mason. See these links
for a more thorough description and a tutorial:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/15308/2001/12/0/7390947/
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/15309/2002/1/0/7614023/

> How do "Categories" relate to the above (if at all)??

Categories are for organizing your stories. Output Channels are for
outputting your stories in different ways. So, for example, you could
create separate output channels for HTML, WAP, and AvantGo, and publish
the same story to all three, so that the same story ends up in three
different formats (outputs!).

HTH,

David

--