Mailing List Archive

Bric2 UX Tweaks: Container Element Editing: clean, simple, & consistent
Container Element Editing: clean, simple, & consistent [STORY PROFILE]

There are some quirks involved with container element editing, which makes the experience a little less than consistent across the broader UI. Some of the behavior is just plain weird, like how opening the twisty triangle on a container with both fields and related media/stories magically flips their position. Watch it a few times and you'll get a minor headache.

Also, container elements with related media and/or stories can take up tons of screen space; the mockup below moves them into "twisties" (collapsable regions), like elements.
Re: Bric2 UX Tweaks: Container Element Editing: clean, simple, & consistent [ In reply to ]
On Apr 4, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Aaron Fuleki wrote:

> Also, container elements with related media and/or stories can take up tons of screen space; the mockup below moves them into "twisties" (collapsable regions), like elements.

Again, no screenshot or link to one.

> Suggested Changes:
> * Child fields/elements replace preview, at top of fieldset (no longer
> inverts their position on open, which is disorienting and weird).

+1

> * Related stories/media now get twisties, just like elements
> (no, they aren't elements, but this is way more consistent).

+1, esp if the thumbnail can still be displayed

> * Closed relations show preview of title and object type
> (thumbnail might work, depending on space).

+1 with the thumbnail. Have you mocked it up with the thumbnail?

> * Edit icon (upper right) opens twisty, pops up relation dialog.

Less sure about this one, sine it will do two things. I think I like it, but I'm not sure. Other opinions?

> Note: In the mockup above, the edit icon for related stories and media is slightly overloaded: if the "twisty" is already open, then the edit icon triggers the edit relation popup; otherwise, it should force the twisty open AND trigger the popup, so that the UI state stays sane. This could save time and support different user's mental models. If folks think it's weird, we could hide the edit button in the closed state, but that forces an extra click.

Yeah, this is the part I'm not sure about. Need to see it in action.

Best,

David
Re: Bric2 UX Tweaks: Container Element Editing: clean, simple, & consistent [ In reply to ]
Here's trying an attachment again...