http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/33815

Should I file a bug? Or is it simple enough to patch?

-Matt
Re: BRICOLAGE_ROOT [ In reply to ]
On Feb 6, 2011, at 2:02 PM, Matthew Rolf wrote:

> When installing a second installation on my Bricolage machine, located at /usr/local/devel-bricolage, I experienced how BRICOLAGE_ROOT does not get properly set for bric_apachectl. On line 51 of bric_apachectl, we have:
>
> $ENV{BRICOLAGE_ROOT} ||= "/usr/local/devel-bricolage";
>
> But there is no BRICOLAGE_ROOT in bricolage.conf (despite multiple references to it in the comments), and even adding one does not seem to have an impact. I assume this is something that the following commit was supposed to deal with:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/33815
>
> Should I file a bug? Or is it simple enough to patch?

BRICOLAGE_ROOT is an environment variable, not a bricolage.conf directive (it can't find bricolage.conf to load unless it knows where BRICOLAGE_ROOT is).

What might be useful is to add code to the installer to change these lines:

$ENV{BRICOLAGE_ROOT} ||= "/usr/local/devel-bricolage";

at installation time to point to the install location.

Best,

David
Re: BRICOLAGE_ROOT [ In reply to ]
It's funny, because I came across this yesterday while trying to make
the 2.0.1 release.

I wanted to leave my existing install in /usr/local/bricolage alone, so
had the new one going to /usr/local/bricolage201. Problem is, the test
suite uses the BRICOLAGE_ROOT environment variable, and a lot of my
settings from the main install (always use HTTPS, default file extension
of .php, etc) caused the tests to fail.

I guess the clever thing is to choose the path, and set the environment
variable, and THEN run the installer. OK, I'll put that in the wiki.

Cheers,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: BRICOLAGE_ROOT [ In reply to ]
Quoting "David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>:

> On Feb 6, 2011, at 2:02 PM, Matthew Rolf wrote:

> BRICOLAGE_ROOT is an environment variable, not a bricolage.conf
> directive (it can't find bricolage.conf to load unless it knows
> where BRICOLAGE_ROOT is).
>
> What might be useful is to add code to the installer to change these lines:
>
> $ENV{BRICOLAGE_ROOT} ||= "/usr/local/devel-bricolage";
>
> at installation time to point to the install location.

Yes, that sounds like what should be done. The installer already asks
where the root directory is - the installed scripts should respect that.

How many places does that environment variable need to get set, roughly?

-Matt
Re: BRICOLAGE_ROOT [ In reply to ]
On Feb 7, 2011, at 11:22 AM, rolfm@denison.edu wrote:

> Yes, that sounds like what should be done. The installer already asks where the root directory is - the installed scripts should respect that.
>
> How many places does that environment variable need to get set, roughly?

ack -laiQ BRICOLAGE_ROOT
bin/bric_apachectl
bin/bric_clean_tmp
bin/bric_dist_mon
bin/bric_ftpd
bin/bric_pgimport
bin/bric_queued
bin/Makefile.PL
conf/bricolage.conf
conf/httpd.conf
contrib/bric_events_rss/bric_events_rss
contrib/bric_events_rss/README
contrib/bric_mech_upload/bric_media_mech
contrib/bric_xfer/bric_xfer_grps
contrib/bric_xfer/bric_xfer_users
contrib/copy_gnome_icons/copy_gnome_icons
contrib/copy_gnome_icons/README
contrib/start_scripts/freebsd
contrib/start_scripts/linux
contrib/template_profiling/README
contrib/thumbnails/precreate-thumbs.pl
inst/clone.pl
inst/conf.pl
inst/config.pl
inst/db_upgrade.pl
inst/defaults/freebsd
inst/defaults/gentoo
inst/defaults/standard
inst/done.pl
inst/files.pl
inst/rm_files.pl
inst/stop.pl
inst/uninstall.pl
inst/upgrade/1.7.3/unique_uri_tables_fks.pl
inst/upgrade/lib/bric_upgrade.pm
inst/upgrade.pl
lib/Bric/Admin.pod
lib/Bric/App/ApacheConfig.pm