(416) 895-7635
bret@pectopah.com
www.pectopah.com
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
Looks *great* Bret. Nice work. :-)

Only one question:

"This means that effects that should only occur on success (such as
visually removing an asset from one desk when it is moved to another)
now only happen on success. "

... I've re-read that a few times and I'm still confused.

Otherwise, awesome.

Phillip.

--
Phillip Smith // Simplifier of Technology // COMMUNITY BANDWIDTH
www.communitybandwidth.ca // www.phillipadsmith.com
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
Er.

Your point is well taken. That's really a bugfix. In an ealier version,
in desk view, if you clicked the move icon and chose a desk, the asset
would vanish from its original desk.

It would do this even if, in the background, the move had failed and the
asset was really still there.

Basically, the fixed version makes sure the move is successful before it
does the animation.

But you're right: there's no point pointing out a squashed bug.

How about just losing the second sentence in that paragraph, as in the
attached version?

Cheers,

Bret

Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
Looks great. :-)

Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
On Mar 22, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Thanks so much for your patience with this, the marketing-speak rewrite
> of the past several updates to Bric::Changes.
>
> I've left out most of the bugfixes, and tried to combine items where
> doing that made sense.
>
> Let me know your thoughts, won't you?

Awesome, thanks. My comments:

> Repository: Use the open source database of your choice: Bricolage 2 supports both PostgreSQL (7.3+) and MySQL (5.0.3+).

Ugh. I think it's time to make 8.0 the minimum. Objections? (I wish we could say 8.3.)

> Template engines: Write your templates using your choice of of four architectures: Mason, HTML::Template, Template::Toolkit, or PHP. Each one offers full access to all the power of the Bricolage API.

* That's not new, they're all in 1.10.

* Too many "than ever"s. Maybe grep for them and change all but one or two to something else?

* I don't think elements are displayed "recursively". Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but I think a better term might be something like, well, "in full". Comments?

> * Fields and subelements in the story, media, and category profiles

No fields or subelements in the category profile that I know of. Keywords are covered in the next bullet.

* You can also edit categories on the fly now in the story and template profiles.

> Robust browser support: Bricolage 2 is tested to be fast and stable in all major browsers, including IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and many others.

That's not exactly new either. But maybe leave it, because so much has changed since 1.10? And has anyone tried Chrome with Bricolage yet? I know I haven't.

* The Ajax error handling is new in 2.0, but there was no Ajax before, so I don't think it's necessary to mention it.

* Uhhhn…editing it directly…suggested modifications attached.

Things that appear to be missing; do we deem the important-enough to mention?

* The nav menu is now fully managed in the browser, and so is very fast, not requiring a reload on every click.

* It is now possible to run the installer without prompts by setting appropriate environment variables and relying on platform-specific defaults for those variables.

* Related media and stories are now nicely managed via popup windows, further reducing the number of times a document must be reloaded.

* Media documents can now be exported from the SOAP without the media file itself included. This makes it easier to make changes to a lot of media documents via the SOAP interface without the overhead of dealing with the media file if it doesn't need to be changed.

Mostly this is just fiddling, overall it's really great. Many many thanks for this, Bret. I owe you one. Coming to OSCON this year?

Best,

David
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
On Mar 22, 2010, at 5:38 PM, Phillip Smith wrote:

> "This means that effects that should only occur on success (such as visually removing an asset from one desk when it is moved to another) now only happen on success. "
>
> ... I've re-read that a few times and I'm still confused.

I removed this in the changes I made, as it's a refinement of a feature that's new in 2.0 anyway. Frankly it's a bug fix.

Best,

David
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
On Mar 22, 2010, at 6:20 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> But you're right: there's no point pointing out a squashed bug.

Oh, you beat me to it. ;-P

Best,

David
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
Hi again,

Thanks for this, David.

I've attached version 3, which includes all the items you suggested.
It's a big release; might as well make a big noise!

(No OSCON for me this year, sadly. Maybe 2011?)

Cheers,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:
>
>> Repository: Use the open source database of your choice: Bricolage 2 supports both PostgreSQL (7.3+) and MySQL (5.0.3+).
>
> Ugh. I think it's time to make 8.0 the minimum. Objections? (I wish we could say 8.3.)

Maybe compromise and go with 8.1, because I recall reading that when 9.0 comes
out then 8.1 will be the oldest one officially supported with patches. Then
generally follow that policy; Bricolage supports just the versions of PostgreSQL
that are supported themselves. Or get a jump on things and just support 8.3+
now, which includes 2 released major versions with a 3rd soon. -- Darren Duncan
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
On Mar 23, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:

> Maybe compromise and go with 8.1, because I recall reading that when 9.0 comes out then 8.1 will be the oldest one officially supported with patches. Then generally follow that policy; Bricolage supports just the versions of PostgreSQL that are supported themselves. Or get a jump on things and just support 8.3+ now, which includes 2 released major versions with a 3rd soon. -- Darren Duncan

I went ahead and required 8.1, since that has been the recommended for many years.

PostgreSQL core will likely finally drop support for 7.4 when 9.0 ships.

Best,

David
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
On Mar 23, 2010, at 1:44 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> Thanks for this, David.
>
> I've attached version 3, which includes all the items you suggested.
> It's a big release; might as well make a big noise!

Agreed. Looks good. Just a couple of things:

* Now requiring PostgreSQL 8.1.
* I prefer [serial commas](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma),
don't you?
* I see two instances of "Bricolage has always allowed content editors
to (change|adjust) the structure of their documents". Can we change
one?
* I think I'd leave out the "NONE" bit, as its minor and pretty geeky.
* I think I'd mention that the "Bricolage events feed generator" is a
contrib module.

Thanks!

> (No OSCON for me this year, sadly. Maybe 2011?)

Pity. Plan on 2011 in Portland, then!

Best,

David
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
OK, here's another one.

Cheers,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
On Mar 24, 2010, at 6:31 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> OK, here's another one.

Almost Perfect. A revision with minor mods attached.

Many thanks for the hard work on this. Hoping some other folks read it, but otherwise, I think it's about ready for prime time.

My only suggestion for adding it to the Bricolage site (please ask Phillip where and how) is to add relevant links, such as to the WYSIWYG editors, the JavaScript libraries, etc.

Best,

David
Re: Changes document [ In reply to ]
I've been reading as they came through the list - looks great!

-Aaron

Aaron Fuleki
Senior Web Architect
Denison University