Mailing List Archive

Session cookie, auth cookie (2)
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make parts of Bricolage accessible withou login, but have
any
> previoulsy logged user recognized. Let me explain :

>>Your explanation is how (or leading up to a question as to how). But let
me ask you this: why?

Well, in fact I've created some subdir in Bric app, and mixed some webapp
of mine to have only site.

> Do I have to implement a new method in AccessHandler for that (something

> like Bric::App::AccessHandler->connected)?

Yes, I think so. Note how we already allow anyone to access /media via
this bit:

push @locs,
" <Location /media>\n" .
" SetHandler default-handler\n" .
" PerlAccessHandler Apache::OK\n" .
" PerlCleanupHandler Apache::OK$fix\n" .
" </Location>";

So you could use Apache::OK just to give someone access to /, and if you
wanted to do anything else than just blindly accept any connection, you
would need to write a custom accesshandler method, yes.

> Why can't we just a session cookie with a expiration, instead of having
> separate auth cookie?

>>I think it's because they serve two distinct purposes. The auth cookie
is validated on every request,

So is session cookie, isn't it?

>>and thus stores a hash to be validated. Also, you may not want your
session data to be expired just because you logged out.

I agree with this. But I think Bric session expires whenever someone
loggout; Is that right?

Anyway, thanks for your response, and for this great piece of mod_perl
app. I think this piece of software may serve as a "state of the art"
example in mod_perl articles (in particular session and database
management accross requests).

Cyril
Re: Session cookie, auth cookie (2) [ In reply to ]
On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:12 AM, Cyril SUDRE wrote:

> I agree with this. But I think Bric session expires whenever someone loggout; Is that right?

Probably. Most folks let their sessions expire, though.

> Anyway, thanks for your response, and for this great piece of mod_perl app. I think this piece of software may serve as a "state of the art" example in mod_perl articles (in particular session and database management accross requests).

Thanks!

David