Mailing List Archive

GSOC 2009 application submitted
Here's the submitted application (public view)
http://socghop.appspot.com/org_app/show/google/gsoc2009/bricolagecms

Here's the final text (which I can edit until 12 PDT today ... so let
me know if you see anything funky).

Otherwise, I think we're all submitted. :-)

1. Describe your organization.

Bricolage is a full-featured, enterprise-class content management and
publishing system. It offers a browser-based interface for ease-of
use, a full-fledged templating system with complete HTML::Mason,
HTML::Template, PHP5, and Template Toolkit support for flexibility,
and many other features. It operates in an Apache/mod_perl environment
and uses the PostgreSQL or MySQL RDBMS for its repository. A
comprehensive, actively-developed open source CMS, Bricolage has been
hailed by eWEEK as "quite possibly the most capable enterprise-class
open-source application available."

2. Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2009? What
do you hope to gain by participating?

The Bricolage project has been active since 2001 and has always
benefited from the community contributions. Over the years, Bricolage
has attracted a dedicated following of developers and users (and has
watched as users became developers). Thanks to the quality of the
project and these contributions, Bricolage is now in use by NGOs, news
organizations, and universities all over the world. The consistent
improvements that are made possible by small contributions -- via
projects like Google's Summer of Code -- are what helps to make
Bricolage such an outstanding project. We hope to continue this trend
in 2009 and beyond.

Specifically, this year, we hope to gain the minds and time of some
talented and dedicated students. Bricolage is approaching a Milestone
2.0 release and the excitement in the Bricolage community is palpable.
The opportunity to build on the 2.0 branch of Bricolage, and to work
with such dedicated mentors, will provide the students with a solid
learning opportunity and pathways into a relationship with the
Bricolage community.

3. Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please
summarize your involvement and the successes and challenges of your
participation.

Bricolage was accepted into the Google Summer of Code program in 2008
(under the Perl Foundation), 2006, and 2005. Students completed
projects in both 2005 and 2006. The 2006 students were particularly
successful, their projects included adding support for MySQL 5.0.3 and
later, adding an element occurrence specification, and completing a
major upgrade to Bricolage's user interface by implementing AJAX drag-
and-drop functionality (more details are available here: http://www.justatheory.com/bricolage/soc_2006_results.html)
. In 2008 we had less success in finding students, and getting
projects underway -- however, we did work with the students that
applied to further develop the ideas that are on the ideas list for
this year's program.

4. If your organization has not previously participated in GSoC, have
you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?

n/a

5. What license(s) does your project use?

New BSD license.

6. What is the URL for your ideas page?

http://www.bricolage.cc/dev/summer_of_code/

7. What is the main development mailing list or forum for your
organization?

The Bricolage mailing lists are listed here:
http://bricolage.cc/support/lists/

Potential students should subscribe to the developers list by sending
an e-mail to: devel-subscribe@lists.bricolage.cc

The developers list archives are found here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/

8. What is the main IRC channel for your organization?

You can also usually find and chat with a fellow Bricoleur in the
#bricolage channel on irc.perl.org.

9. Does your organization have an application template you would like
to see students use? If so, please provide it now.

We ask that students use a variation of the Perl Foundation's
application template: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddfx3g3n_42dcswxphq

10. Who will be your backup organization administrator? Please include
Google Account information.

David Wheeler (justatheory@gmail.com)

11. Who will your mentors be? Please include Google Account information.

avid Wheeler (justatheory@gmail.com)
Alex Krohn, Gossamer Threads (akrohn@gmail.com)
Matt Rolf, Denison University (mattrolf@mac.com)
Greg Heo, Pectopah (greg@node79.com)
Darren Duncan, Muldis Data Systems (darren@darrenduncan.net)
Phillip Smith, Community Bandwidth (phillipadsmith@gmail.com)

12. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as mentors?
Please be as specific as possible.

Each of the mentors listed above have made recent and significant
contributions to the Bricolage project and are active on the
developers and users mailing list. Many have also made significant
contributions to other open source projects.

13. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?

We will ask students to start their projects by thoroughly documenting
their proposed approach. Once underway, we will encourage them to keep
their work transparent and regularly committed to a source code
repository. Regular communication from the student's mentor will keep
us abreast of their progress, and any problems they are experiencing
(which, hopefully, we can assist with). Should a student totally
disappear, we will explore having another student (should we have more
than one accepted) take on the other student's project.

In 2006 we also encouraged mentors and students to have a weekly
meeting in IRC and that proved to be a successful strategy for keeping
the projects on track, so we would like to continue with that in 2009.

14. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?

All of our mentors have proven histories as reliable individuals.
However, if we don't hear from one of our mentors for a week and we
haven't been told ahead of time that they will be on vacation or
otherwise engaged, we will reassign mentors to cover that gap. David
Wheeler will act as mentor of last resort for all projects.

15. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with
your project's community before, during and after the program?

Historically, we have asked students to subscribe to the developers
mailing list and to introduce themselves and their proposed projects.
Feedback is quick and thorough and encouragement is given regularly.
They will also create subversion branches to work on their projects,
and will be encouraged to commit early and often, so that we can
monitor the direction of their projects and help out where
appropriate. Finally, we would also encourage potential students to
idle in the #bricolage IRC channel where many of the community tend to
discuss current projects and ongoing work.

16. What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with
the project after GSoC concludes?

The Bricolage project is supported by a tightly-knit community of
users and developers. The signal-to-noise ratio is very high, and most
folks in the community tend to stick around for years. As our
community has grown over those years, more commercialization of the
Bricolage project has happened and there are now consultancies and
hosting companies that specialize in Bricolage, as well as large
universities and institutions that rely on it. We would hope that our
students would find their way into ongoing work with the via these
organizations.

--
Phillip Smith // Simplifier of Technology // COMMUNITY BANDWIDTH
www.communitybandwidth.ca // www.phillipadsmith.com
Re: GSOC 2009 application submitted [ In reply to ]
Looks good, Phillip, thanks. Just one section to nit over:

On Mar 13, 2009, at 6:24 AM, Phillip Smith wrote:

> Historically, we have asked students to subscribe to the developers
> mailing list and to introduce themselves and their proposed
> projects. Feedback is quick and thorough and encouragement is given
> regularly. They will also create subversion branches to work on

I would say "The students" instead of "They," just to be specific.

> their projects, and will be encouraged to commit early and often, so
> that we can monitor the direction of their projects and help out
> where appropriate. Finally, we would also encourage potential
> students to idle in the #bricolage IRC channel where many of the
> community tend to discuss current projects and ongoing work.

And we will require a weekly meeting for all students and mentors.

Thanks!

David
Re: GSOC 2009 application submitted [ In reply to ]
On 13-Mar-09, at 2:43 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Looks good, Phillip, thanks. Just one section to nit over:
>
> On Mar 13, 2009, at 6:24 AM, Phillip Smith wrote:
>
>> Historically, we have asked students to subscribe to the developers
>> mailing list and to introduce themselves and their proposed
>> projects. Feedback is quick and thorough and encouragement is given
>> regularly. They will also create subversion branches to work on
>
> I would say "The students" instead of "They," just to be specific.
>
>> their projects, and will be encouraged to commit early and often,
>> so that we can monitor the direction of their projects and help out
>> where appropriate. Finally, we would also encourage potential
>> students to idle in the #bricolage IRC channel where many of the
>> community tend to discuss current projects and ongoing work.
>
> And we will require a weekly meeting for all students and mentors.

Done and done! :-)