Mailing List Archive

GSOC application text -- Please help. Need to submit by tomorrow.
So, here's the text I'm working on for our application. Please proof
read, revise, refine, and add details as you can. I need some support
for one or two of the questions. Feedback today would be
appreciated. :-)

1. Describe your organization.

Bricolage is a full-featured, enterprise-class content management and
publishing system. It offers a browser-based interface for ease-of
use, a full-fledged templating system with complete HTML::Mason,
HTML::Template, PHP 5, and Template Toolkit support for flexibility,
and many other features. It operates in an Apache/mod_perl environment
and uses the PostgreSQL RDBMS for its repository. A comprehensive,
actively-developed open source CMS, Bricolage has been hailed by eWEEK
as “quite possibly the most capable enterprise-class open-source
application available.”

2. Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2009? What
do you hope to gain by participating?

The Bricolage project has been active since 2001 and has always
benefited from the community contributions. Over the years, Bricolage
has attracted a dedicated following of developers and users (and has
watched as users became developers). Thanks to the quality of the
project and these contributions, Bricolage is now in use by NGOs, news
organizations, and universities all over the world. The consistent
improvements that are made possible by small contributions -- via
projects like Google's Summer of Code -- are what helps to make
Bricolage such an outstanding project. We hope to continue this trend
in 2009 and beyond.

Specifically, this year, we hope to gain the minds and time of some
talented and dedicated students. Bricolage is approaching a Milestone
2.0 release and the excitement in the Bricolage community is palpable.
The opportunity to build on the 2.0 brach of Bricolage, and to work
with such dedicated mentors, will provide the students with a solid
learning opportunity and pathways into a relationship with the
Bricolage community.

3. Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please
summarize your involvement and the successes and challenges of your
participation.

Bricolage was accepted into the Google Summer of Code program in 2008
(under the Perl Foundation) and 2006. The 2006 students added support
for MySQL 5.0.3 and later, added an element occurrence specification,
and completed a major upgrade to Bricolage's user interface by
implementing AJAX drag-and-drop functionality (more details are
available here: http://www.justatheory.com/bricolage/soc_2006_results.html
. In 2008 we had less success in finding students, and getting
projects underway -- however, we did manage to further develop several
ideas that are on the ideas list for this year's program.

4. If your organization has not previously participated in GSoC, have
you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?

Need some help here.

5. What license(s) does your project use?

New BSD license.

6. What is the URL for your ideas page?

http://www.bricolage.cc/dev/summer_of_code/

7. What is the main development mailing list or forum for your
organization?

http://bricolage.cc/support/lists/

8. What is the main IRC channel for your organization?

#bricolage on irc.perl.org

9. Does your organization have an application template you would like
to see students use? If so, please provide it now.

We prefer that students use the Perl Foundation's application template
http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?gsoc2008_proposal_template

10. Who will be your backup organization administrator? Please include
Google Account information.

David Wheeler (justatheory@...)

11. Who will your mentors be? Please include Google Account information.

David Wheeler (justatheory@...)
Alex Krohn, Gossamer Threads (akrohn@...)
Matt Rolf, Denison University (mattrolf@...)
Greg Heo, Pectopah (greg@...)
Darren Duncan, Muldis Data Systems (darren@...t)
Phillip Smith, Community Bandwidth (phillipadsmith@...)

12. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as mentors?
Please be as specific as possible.

Each of the mentors listed above have made recent and significant
contributions to the Bricolage project and are active on the
developers and users mailing list. Many have also made significant
contributions to other open source projects.

(Not sure how specific to get here...?)

13. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?

We will ask students to start their projects by thoroughly documenting
their proposed approach. Once underway, we will encourage them to keep
their work transparent and regularly committed to a source code
repository. Regular communication from the student's mentor will keep
us abreast of their progress, and any problems they are experiencing
(which, hopefully, we can assist with). Should a student totally
disappear, we will explore having another student (should we have more
than one accepted) take on the other student's project.

14. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?

All of our mentors have proven histories as reliable individuals. We
don't foresee this as a problem. However, should something happen to
one of our mentors, we will re-assign the student to another mentor.
15. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with
your project's community before, during and after the program?

Historically, we have asked students to subscribe to the developers
mailing list and to introduce themselves and their proposed projects.
Feedback is quick and thorough and encouragement is given regularly.
We would also encourage potential students to idle in the #bricolage
IRC channel where many of the community tend to discuss current
projects and ongoing work.

16. What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with
the project after GSoC concludes?

The Bricolage project is supported by a tightly-knit community of
users and developers. The signal-to-noise ratio is very high, and most
folks in the community tend to stick around for years. As our
community has grown over those years, more commercialization of the
Bricolage project has happened and there are now consultancies and
hosting companies that specialize in Bricolage, as well as large
universities and institutions that rely on it. We would hope that our
students would find their way into ongoing work with the via these
organizations.

--
Phillip Smith // Simplifier of Technology // COMMUNITY BANDWIDTH
www.communitybandwidth.ca // www.phillipadsmith.com
Re: GSOC application text -- Please help. Need to submit by tomorrow. [ In reply to ]
On Mar 12, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Phillip Smith wrote:
> So, here's the text I'm working on for our application. Please proof
> read, revise, refine, and add details as you can. I need some
> support for one or two of the questions. Feedback today would be
> appreciated. :-)
>
> 1. Describe your organization.
>
> Bricolage is a full-featured, enterprise-class content management
> and publishing system. It offers a browser-based interface for ease-
> of use, a full-fledged templating system with complete HTML::Mason,
> HTML::Template, PHP 5, and Template Toolkit support for flexibility,
> and many other features. It operates in an Apache/mod_perl
> environment and uses the PostgreSQL RDBMS for its repository. A
> comprehensive, actively-developed open source CMS, Bricolage has
> been hailed by eWEEK as “quite possibly the most capable enterprise-
> class open-source application available.”

Now, I'm not familiar with the application process for GSOC, so maybe
I've got this wrong, but didn't you just describe the product, rather
than the organization? I'm guessing that Google wants to know about
the organization itself to assess whether it's capable of supporting a
GSOC assignee.

I'm glad you're putting this together!

Best,
Waldo

---
Virginia Quarterly Review
One West Range, Box 400223
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4223
434-243-4995
Re: GSOC application text -- Please help. Need to submit by tomorrow. [ In reply to ]
On 12-Mar-09, at 3:52 PM, Waldo Jaquith wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Phillip Smith wrote:
>> So, here's the text I'm working on for our application. Please
>> proof read, revise, refine, and add details as you can. I need some
>> support for one or two of the questions. Feedback today would be
>> appreciated. :-)
>>
>> 1. Describe your organization.
>>
>> Bricolage is a full-featured, enterprise-class content management
>> and publishing system. It offers a browser-based interface for ease-
>> of use, a full-fledged templating system with complete HTML::Mason,
>> HTML::Template, PHP 5, and Template Toolkit support for
>> flexibility, and many other features. It operates in an Apache/
>> mod_perl environment and uses the PostgreSQL RDBMS for its
>> repository. A comprehensive, actively-developed open source CMS,
>> Bricolage has been hailed by eWEEK as “quite possibly the most
>> capable enterprise-class open-source application available.”
>
> Now, I'm not familiar with the application process for GSOC, so
> maybe I've got this wrong, but didn't you just describe the product,
> rather than the organization? I'm guessing that Google wants to know
> about the organization itself to assess whether it's capable of
> supporting a GSOC assignee.

Good question. I just grabbed that from the 2006 application.

After a quick chat with @lh in GSOC's IRC channel, I was pointed here:
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/userguide#depth_orgapp

Which seems to say that we should just post a blurb like the one above.

:-)

Re: GSOC application text -- Please help. Need to submit by tomorrow. [ In reply to ]
> Specifically, this year, we hope to gain the minds and time of some
> talented and dedicated students. Bricolage is approaching a Milestone
> 2.0 release and the excitement in the Bricolage community is palpable.
> The opportunity to build on the 2.0 brach of Bricolage, and to work
> with such dedicated mentors, will provide the students with a solid
> learning opportunity and pathways into a relationship with the
> Bricolage community.

Just a small typo: s/brach/branch/
Re: GSOC application text -- Please help. Need to submit by tomorrow. [ In reply to ]
On 12-Mar-09, at 4:56 PM, Adrian Yee wrote:

>> Specifically, this year, we hope to gain the minds and time of some
>> talented and dedicated students. Bricolage is approaching a Milestone
>> 2.0 release and the excitement in the Bricolage community is
>> palpable.
>> The opportunity to build on the 2.0 brach of Bricolage, and to work
>> with such dedicated mentors, will provide the students with a solid
>> learning opportunity and pathways into a relationship with the
>> Bricolage community.
>
> Just a small typo: s/brach/branch/

Awesome. Thanks! :-)

Re: GSOC application text -- Please help. Need to submit by tomorrow. [ In reply to ]
On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:22 AM, Phillip Smith wrote:

> So, here's the text I'm working on for our application. Please proof
> read, revise, refine, and add details as you can. I need some
> support for one or two of the questions. Feedback today would be
> appreciated. :-)
>
> 1. Describe your organization.
>
> Bricolage is a full-featured, enterprise-class content management
> and publishing system. It offers a browser-based interface for ease-
> of use, a full-fledged templating system with complete HTML::Mason,
> HTML::Template, PHP 5, and Template Toolkit support for flexibility,
> and many other features. It operates in an Apache/mod_perl
> environment and uses the PostgreSQL RDBMS for its repository. A
> comprehensive, actively-developed open source CMS, Bricolage has
> been hailed by eWEEK as “quite possibly the most capable enterprise-
> class open-source application available.”

It uses MySQL, too. I think that the 1.11.x release notes have a more
up-to-date blurb for this.

> 2. Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2009?
> What do you hope to gain by participating?
>
> The Bricolage project has been active since 2001 and has always
> benefited from the community contributions. Over the years,
> Bricolage has attracted a dedicated following of developers and
> users (and has watched as users became developers). Thanks to the
> quality of the project and these contributions, Bricolage is now in
> use by NGOs, news organizations, and universities all over the
> world. The consistent improvements that are made possible by small
> contributions -- via projects like Google's Summer of Code -- are
> what helps to make Bricolage such an outstanding project. We hope to
> continue this trend in 2009 and beyond.
>
> Specifically, this year, we hope to gain the minds and time of some
> talented and dedicated students. Bricolage is approaching a
> Milestone 2.0 release and the excitement in the Bricolage community
> is palpable. The opportunity to build on the 2.0 brach of Bricolage,
> and to work with such dedicated mentors, will provide the students
> with a solid learning opportunity and pathways into a relationship
> with the Bricolage community.

Nicely done!

> 3. Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please
> summarize your involvement and the successes and challenges of your
> participation.
>
> Bricolage was accepted into the Google Summer of Code program in
> 2008 (under the Perl Foundation) and 2006.

Also 2005. I had four students that year; only Marshall finished his
project.

> The 2006 students added support for MySQL 5.0.3 and later, added an
> element occurrence specification, and completed a major upgrade to
> Bricolage's user interface by implementing AJAX drag-and-drop
> functionality (more details are available here: http://www.justatheory.com/bricolage/soc_2006_results.html
> .

Close paren.

> In 2008 we had less success in finding students, and getting
> projects underway -- however, we did manage to further develop
> several ideas that are on the ideas list for this year's program.

Okay.

> 4. If your organization has not previously participated in GSoC,
> have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
>
> Need some help here.

We've participated; 'nuff said, no?

> 5. What license(s) does your project use?
>
> New BSD license.
>
> 6. What is the URL for your ideas page?
>
> http://www.bricolage.cc/dev/summer_of_code/
>
> 7. What is the main development mailing list or forum for your
> organization?
>
> http://bricolage.cc/support/lists/

It should specifically reference the developers list there.

> 8. What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
>
> #bricolage on irc.perl.org
>
> 9. Does your organization have an application template you would
> like to see students use? If so, please provide it now.
>
> We prefer that students use the Perl Foundation's application template
> http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?gsoc2008_proposal_template

I think that we should modify that to be more Bricolage-specific.

> 10. Who will be your backup organization administrator? Please
> include Google Account information.
>
> David Wheeler (justatheory@...)
>
> 11. Who will your mentors be? Please include Google Account
> information.
>
> David Wheeler (justatheory@...)
> Alex Krohn, Gossamer Threads (akrohn@...)
> Matt Rolf, Denison University (mattrolf@...)
> Greg Heo, Pectopah (greg@...)
> Darren Duncan, Muldis Data Systems (darren@...t)
> Phillip Smith, Community Bandwidth (phillipadsmith@...)

Nice list, thanks!

> 12. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as
> mentors? Please be as specific as possible.
>
> Each of the mentors listed above have made recent and significant
> contributions to the Bricolage project and are active on the
> developers and users mailing list. Many have also made significant
> contributions to other open source projects.
>
> (Not sure how specific to get here...?)

I think that's good enough.

> 13. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
>
> We will ask students to start their projects by thoroughly
> documenting their proposed approach. Once underway, we will
> encourage them to keep their work transparent and regularly
> committed to a source code repository. Regular communication from
> the student's mentor will keep us abreast of their progress, and any
> problems they are experiencing (which, hopefully, we can assist
> with). Should a student totally disappear, we will explore having
> another student (should we have more than one accepted) take on the
> other student's project.

We should require a weekly IRC meeting for all students and mentors,
too. That worked really well in 2006, when all three of our students
finished their projects.

> 14. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
>
> All of our mentors have proven histories as reliable individuals. We
> don't foresee this as a problem. However, should something happen to
> one of our mentors, we will re-assign the student to another mentor.

I think they want to know what you'll do if a mentor is beligerent or
unreachable. Maybe set some guidelines. Something like, “If we don't
hear from X for a week and we haven't been told ahead of time that X
will be on vacation or something, we'll reassign mentors. David
Wheeler will act as mentor of last resort for all projects.”

> 15. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with
> your project's community before, during and after the program?
>
> Historically, we have asked students to subscribe to the developers
> mailing list and to introduce themselves and their proposed
> projects. Feedback is quick and thorough and encouragement is given
> regularly. We would also encourage potential students to idle in the
> #bricolage IRC channel where many of the community tend to discuss
> current projects and ongoing work.

They will also create subversion branches to work on their projects,
and will be encouraged to commit early and often, so that we can
monitor the direction of their projects and help out where appropriate.

> 16. What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick
> with the project after GSoC concludes?
>
> The Bricolage project is supported by a tightly-knit community of
> users and developers. The signal-to-noise ratio is very high, and
> most folks in the community tend to stick around for years. As our
> community has grown over those years, more commercialization of the
> Bricolage project has happened and there are now consultancies and
> hosting companies that specialize in Bricolage, as well as large
> universities and institutions that rely on it. We would hope that
> our students would find their way into ongoing work with the via
> these organizations.

Clever!

Best,

David
Re: GSOC application text -- Please help. Need to submit by tomorrow. [ In reply to ]
Great feedback. Many thanks. Will refine and submit tomorrow
morning. :-)

(Sent wirelessly. Please excuse the typos.)