standard distro install.

Starting wackamole in debug mode, everything works perfectly. If I
omit the -d switch, it fails silently. There are no errors on the
command line, or logs that I can find, and the daemon just doesn't
start.

My config file is attached. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks,
Matt.
Re: Wackamole fails silently without the -d switch [ In reply to ]
strace -f the wackamole process (without the -d option). If you
can't figure out what the issue is by looking at the strace, then
mail the output to the list.

On Apr 24, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Matt Bennett wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm having trouble getting wackamole to run on Ubuntu Edgy, using the
> standard distro install.
>
> Starting wackamole in debug mode, everything works perfectly. If I
> omit the -d switch, it fails silently. There are no errors on the
> command line, or logs that I can find, and the daemon just doesn't
> start.
>
> My config file is attached. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt.
> <wackamole.conf>

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal@OmniTI: http://omniti.com
// Esoteric Curio: http://www.lethargy.org/~jesus/

Re: Wackamole fails silently without the -d switch [ In reply to ]
Theo,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I haven't managed to glean
anything from the strace output, so it's attached. Hopefully it's
enlightening for you.

Thanks,
Matt.

Re: Wackamole fails silently without the -d switch [ In reply to ]
Looks like strace was run without -f. Please run it with -f so that
it follows the child process that is spawned.

Re: Wackamole fails silently without the -d switch [ In reply to ]
See attached.

Re: Wackamole fails silently without the -d switch [ In reply to ]
8927 open("/var/run/wackamole/wackamole.pid", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|
O_TRUNC|O_LARGEF
ILE, 0644) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

It tries to open the above file and fails... Then

8927 connect(4, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/dev/log"}, 110) = 0
8927 send(4, "<29>May 4 21:06:01 wackamole[89"..., 91,
MSG_NOSIGNAL) = 91
8927 exit_group(0) = ?

It looks as if it writes something to syslog. Can you tail /var/log/
messages and read the error? I assume it is failing to start because
it can't write its PID file.