Mailing List Archive

2.1.3 - " cannot compute sizeof (char), 77" configure error
I've installed Spread 3.17.4 under /usr/local and now am trying to
install
wackamole 2.1.3 on A Solaris 9 box with gcc 3.4.6.

However the configure (full output below) ends with

checking for char... yes
checking size of char... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (char),
77
See `config.log' for more details.

Unfortunately there is nothing obvious in config.log to indicate what
the
problem is.

# uname -a
SunOS xxxxxxxx 5.9 Generic_118558-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240

I'm running configure with the following flags

--with-cppflags=-I/usr/local/include --with-ldflags="-L/usr/local/lib
-W1",-rpath=/usr/local/lib

(have also without any flags with the same result)

Any ideas or guidance on how to find out what is wrong regarding this?

Rgds.,

Nick.

% ./configure --with-cppflags=-I/usr/local/include
--with-ldflags="-L/usr/local/lib -W1",-rpath=/usr/local/lib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.9
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.9
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for bison... no
checking for byacc... no
checking for flex... flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... no
checking for ar... /usr/ccs/bin/ar
checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... /bin/perl
checking for inline... inline
checking for gethostbyaddr in -lnsl... yes
checking for socket in -lsocket... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for SP_connect in -lsp... no
checking for SP_connect in -lspread... yes
checking for strftime... yes
checking features.h usability... no
checking features.h presence... no
checking for features.h... no
checking pcap.h usability... no
checking pcap.h presence... no
checking for pcap.h... no
checking net/ethernet.h usability... no
checking net/ethernet.h presence... no
checking for net/ethernet.h... no
checking netinet/if_ether.h usability... no
checking netinet/if_ether.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: check for missing
prerequisite heade
rs?
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: section "Present But Cannot
Be Compi
led"
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: proceeding with the
preprocessor's resul
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: in the future, the compiler will
take pr
ecedence
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists. ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for netinet/if_ether.h... yes
checking net/if_dl.h usability... no
checking net/if_dl.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: net/if_dl.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: net/if_dl.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: net/if_dl.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: net/if_dl.h: section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: net/if_dl.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
configure: WARNING: net/if_dl.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedenc
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists. ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for net/if_dl.h... yes
checking net/if.h usability... no
checking net/if.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: net/if.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists. ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for net/if.h... yes
checking net/if_types.h usability... yes
checking net/if_types.h presence... yes
checking for net/if_types.h... yes
checking net/route.h usability... no
checking net/route.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: net/route.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: net/route.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: net/route.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: net/route.h: section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: net/route.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
configure: WARNING: net/route.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedenc
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists. ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for net/route.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking arpa/inet.h usability... yes
checking arpa/inet.h presence... yes
checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
checking assert.h usability... yes
checking assert.h presence... yes
checking for assert.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking grp.h usability... yes
checking grp.h presence... yes
checking for grp.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking netdb.h usability... yes
checking netdb.h presence... yes
checking for netdb.h... yes
checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in.h... yes
checking netinet/tcp.h usability... no
checking netinet/tcp.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
configure: WARNING: netinet/tcp.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precede
nce
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists. ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for netinet/tcp.h... yes
checking pwd.h usability... yes
checking pwd.h presence... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking signal.h usability... yes
checking signal.h presence... yes
checking for signal.h... yes
checking stdarg.h usability... yes
checking stdarg.h presence... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking stdint.h usability... no
checking stdint.h presence... no
checking for stdint.h... no
checking stdio.h usability... yes
checking stdio.h presence... yes
checking for stdio.h... yes
checking stdlib.h usability... yes
checking stdlib.h presence... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking string.h usability... yes
checking string.h presence... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking ctype.h usability... yes
checking ctype.h presence... yes
checking for ctype.h... yes
checking stropts.h usability... yes
checking stropts.h presence... yes
checking for stropts.h... yes
checking sys/inttypes.h usability... yes
checking sys/inttypes.h presence... yes
checking for sys/inttypes.h... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking sys/stat.h usability... yes
checking sys/stat.h presence... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking sys/timeb.h usability... yes
checking sys/timeb.h presence... yes
checking for sys/timeb.h... yes
checking sys/types.h usability... yes
checking sys/types.h presence... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking sys/wait.h usability... yes
checking sys/wait.h presence... yes
checking for sys/wait.h... yes
checking sys/uio.h usability... yes
checking sys/uio.h presence... yes
checking for sys/uio.h... yes
checking sys/un.h usability... yes
checking sys/un.h presence... yes
checking for sys/un.h... yes
checking sys/sysctl.h usability... no
checking sys/sysctl.h presence... no
checking for sys/sysctl.h... no
checking time.h usability... yes
checking time.h presence... yes
checking for time.h... yes
checking unistd.h usability... yes
checking unistd.h presence... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking strings.h usability... yes
checking strings.h presence... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking sys/sockio.h usability... yes
checking sys/sockio.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sockio.h... yes
checking sys/dlpi.h usability... yes
checking sys/dlpi.h presence... yes
checking for sys/dlpi.h... yes
checking net/bpf.h usability... no
checking net/bpf.h presence... no
checking for net/bpf.h... no
checking sys/filio.h usability... yes
checking sys/filio.h presence... yes
checking for sys/filio.h... yes
checking syslog.h usability... yes
checking syslog.h presence... yes
checking for syslog.h... yes
checking netinet/in_systm.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in_systm.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in_systm.h... yes
checking netinet/ip.h usability... no
checking netinet/ip.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: in the future, the compiler will take
preceden
ce
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to the AC_PACKAGE_NAME lists. ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------------ ##
checking for netinet/ip.h... yes
checking termios.h usability... yes
checking termios.h presence... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking sp.h usability... yes
checking sp.h presence... yes
checking for sp.h... yes
checking for bcopy... yes
checking for inet_aton... no
checking for inet_ntoa... yes
checking for inet_ntop... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for setsid... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for lrand48... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for time... yes
checking whether snprintf correctly terminates long strings... no
configure: WARNING: ****** Your snprintf() function is broken, complain
to your
vendor

Re: 2.1.3 - " cannot compute sizeof (char), 77" configure error [ In reply to ]
Up a ways in the config.log I'd wager. seek to the end and search
backwards for "error" and you should see the program it tried to
compile and the error it received.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal@OmniTI: http://omniti.com
// Esoteric Curio: http://www.lethargy.org/~jesus/

RE: 2.1.3 - " cannot compute sizeof (char), 77" configure error [ In reply to ]
Thanks Theo,

Looks like my system header files might be broken (see below). Although
I installed gcc 3.4.6 straight from the packages on sunfreeware.com

Does anyone on list know if this is definitely the case of my original
problem and if so how to fix it?

Nick.

configure:5517: checking netinet/ip.h usability
configure:5529: gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include
-DDONT_USE_THREADS con
ftest.c >&5
In file included from conftest.c:91:
/usr/include/netinet/ip.h:61: error: field `ip_src' has incomplete type
/usr/include/netinet/ip.h:61: error: field `ip_dst' has incomplete type
/usr/include/netinet/ip.h:134: error: field `ipt_addr' has incomplete
type
configure:5535: $? = 1
..
..
..
configure:5822: checking for inet_aton
configure:5879: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include
-DDONT_USE_TH
READS -L/usr/local/lib -W1,-rpath=/usr/local/lib conftest.c -ldl
-lsocket -lnsl
-lspread >&5
Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
inet_aton /var/tmp//ccO5JEEE.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:5885: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define WORDS_BIGENDIAN 1
| #define HAVE_LIBNSL 1
| #define HAVE_LIBSOCKET 1
| #define HAVE_LIBDL 1
| #define HAVE_STRFTIME 1
| #define HAVE_NETINET_IF_ETHER_H 1
| #define HAVE_NET_IF_DL_H 1
| #define HAVE_NET_IF_H 1
| #define HAVE_NET_IF_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_NET_ROUTE_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_IOCTL_H 1
| #define HAVE_ARPA_INET_H 1
| #define HAVE_ASSERT_H 1
| #define HAVE_ERRNO_H 1
| #define HAVE_GRP_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIMITS_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H 1
| #define HAVE_NETDB_H 1
| #define HAVE_NETINET_IN_H 1
| #define HAVE_NETINET_TCP_H 1
| #define HAVE_PWD_H 1
| #define HAVE_SIGNAL_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDARG_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDIO_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_CTYPE_H 1
| #define HAVE_STROPTS_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_IOCTL_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_SOCKET_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIMEB_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_UIO_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_UN_H 1
| #define HAVE_TIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_SOCKIO_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_DLPI_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_FILIO_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYSLOG_H 1
| #define HAVE_NETINET_IN_SYSTM_H 1
| #define HAVE_NETINET_IP_H 1
| #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
| #define HAVE_FCNTL_H 1
| #define HAVE_SP_H 1
| #define HAVE_BCOPY 1
| /* end confdefs.h. */
| /* Define inet_aton to an innocuous variant, in case <limits.h>
declares inet_
aton.
| For example, HP-UX 11i <limits.h> declares gettimeofday. */
| #define inet_aton innocuous_inet_aton
|
| /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
| which can conflict with char inet_aton (); below.
| Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
| <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers. */
|
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
|
| #undef inet_aton
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error. */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| {
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
| builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply. */
| char inet_aton ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
| to always fail with ENOSYS. Some functions are actually named
| something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias. */
| #if defined (__stub_inet_aton) || defined (__stub___inet_aton)
| choke me
| #else
| char (*f) () = inet_aton;
| #endif
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| }
| #endif
|
| int
| main ()
| {
| return f != inet_aton;
| ;
| return 0;
| }

---
Nick O'Brien Phone: +64 9 487 6335 (x4335)
EDS - ADU NZ Online Ops
Smales Farm, 74 Taharoto Road
Takapuna, Auckland 0622 Email: nick.obrien@eds.com

Re: 2.1.3 - " cannot compute sizeof (char), 77" configure error [ In reply to ]
On Mar 28, 2007, at 5:18 PM, O'Brien, Nick wrote:

> Thanks Theo,
>
> Looks like my system header files might be broken (see below).
> Although
> I installed gcc 3.4.6 straight from the packages on sunfreeware.com
>
> Does anyone on list know if this is definitely the case of my original
> problem and if so how to fix it?

The ip.h error doesn't seem like a killer. The issue there is that
you need to include netinet/in.h first. But, since it is a configure
script, it will just note it an continue.

> configure:5517: checking netinet/ip.h usability
> configure:5529: gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include
> -DDONT_USE_THREADS con
> ftest.c >&5
> In file included from conftest.c:91:
> /usr/include/netinet/ip.h:61: error: field `ip_src' has incomplete
> type
> /usr/include/netinet/ip.h:61: error: field `ip_dst' has incomplete
> type
> /usr/include/netinet/ip.h:134: error: field `ipt_addr' has incomplete
> type
> configure:5535: $? = 1
> ..
> ..
> ..
> configure:5822: checking for inet_aton
> configure:5879: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include
> -DDONT_USE_TH
> READS -L/usr/local/lib -W1,-rpath=/usr/local/lib conftest.c -ldl
> -lsocket -lnsl
> -lspread >&5
> Undefined first referenced
> symbol in file
> inet_aton /var/tmp//ccO5JEEE.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I don't have a Solaris 9 box around. On my solaris 8,10 and
opensolaris machines:

Solaris 8:
; grep inet_aton */*
arpa/inet.h:extern int inet_aton(const char *, struct
in_addr *);

Solaris 10:
; grep inet_aton */*
arpa/inet.h:extern int inet_aton(const char *, struct in_addr *);
arpa/inet.h:extern int inet_aton();

Notably, nm shows inet_aton to be in libnsl on solaris 10 and not on
solaris 8. I assume it is missing on Solaris 9 as well.

Looking at the code, it appears we may have used inet_aton in the
past, but no longer use it. So, you should be able to remove
inet_aton from the configure.in file and rerun autoconf. Though,
that check should be a check only -- it should just not that you
don't have it (and rightfully so). It doesn't look like the rest of
the wackamole code needs that function to operate.

The "cannot compute sizeof (char), 77" is likely something to do with
no being able to find one of the libraries (spread). The sizeof
checks are the first checks in the script that _run_ anything, the
preceding are just compile/link tests. So, I'm guessing that it can
find the lbi to link, but not to run. (run path problem). As a note:

-W1,-rpath=/usr/local/lib

Should likely be:

-Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib

Also, consider running Sun Studio 11. It's free, excellent and
produces much much better Sparc binaries than gcc and doesn't make
you tote around the libgcc_s nonsense. If you use Sun's compiler,
you can use -R/usr/local/lib like with most other compilers to
specify your run path.