Mailing List Archive

Failover failed
Hi,

I have a cluster with two nodes, lynndie and sivits. Sivits has been
falling over a lot recently - require reboots every other day. It's a new
machine, so I expect to get it repaired. I'm not in a great hurry, because
failover with wackamole seems to be working fine....

Until now. Lynndie just fell over, and no failover happened. Spread and
wackamole configurations are identical on both hosts, as are hardware
configurations.

As Lynndie came up, Sivits got all the IP addresses for the cluster, but
has since dropped some. Lynndie hasn't aquired any. Spread logs show that
Lynndie did join the spread group on boot, and Sivits logs show that
*something* happened at the time Lynndie broke, but not that any member
left the group.

Wackamole logged nothing on either host until I rebooted Lynndie.

Does anyone know what could cause this kind of asymmetry.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex

Re: Failover failed [ In reply to ]
--On 18 August 2006 15:07:29 +0100 Ian Eiloart <iane@sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a cluster with two nodes, lynndie and sivits. Sivits has been
> falling over a lot recently - require reboots every other day. It's a new
> machine, so I expect to get it repaired. I'm not in a great hurry,
> because failover with wackamole seems to be working fine....
>
> Until now. Lynndie just fell over, and no failover happened. Spread and
> wackamole configurations are identical on both hosts, as are hardware
> configurations.
>
> As Lynndie came up, Sivits got all the IP addresses for the cluster, but
> has since dropped some. Lynndie hasn't aquired any. Spread logs show that
> Lynndie did join the spread group on boot, and Sivits logs show that
> *something* happened at the time Lynndie broke, but not that any member
> left the group.
>
> Wackamole logged nothing on either host until I rebooted Lynndie.
>
> Does anyone know what could cause this kind of asymmetry.

It turned out to be two named DNS server processes running on the host.