--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex

Re: preferred VIFS [ In reply to ]
On Jun 29, 2006, at 6:10 PM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> I have a setup where four machines are sharing 12 VIFS. Ideally,
> I'd like to specify three preferred VIFS on each machine - to help
> with load balancing. Can I do that?
>
> I have 12 IP addresses handling IMAP proxy servers, and 16 handling
> smtp and DNS services. It's essential that the IMAP services are
> reasonably distributed, so I've built 12 VIFS with one IMAP address
> in each.
>
> If I can only specify one VIF per host, then I'd have to load that
> up with all the smtp and dns services to ensure the best load share
> under normal conditions. However, that would mean all my ancilliary
> services failed onto a single host, which isn't so clever. That, or
> I'd have to think harder about my load conditions.

I don't believe that the preference stuff in wackamole is capable of
accomplishing what you want. I haven't looked at the code in a long
time, but I'd imagine it would not be a major change to the
algorithms in place, but it would be much more than a few-line patch
to make it safe.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// CTO -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/