Mailing List Archive

Wackamole on FreeBSD 5.1 will not start
We're having some problems with Wackamole on FreeBSD 5.1...the setup is very
simple (nearly default, in fact):

Basic spread config:
Spread_Segment 10.0.0.255:4803 {

qmail1b 10.0.0.1
qmail2b 10.0.0.2
}

-- Spread is up and running. Works great.

Wackamole.conf:

Spread = 4803
SpreadRetryInterval = 5s
Group = wack1
# Named socket for online control
Control = /var/run/wack.it
Prefer None
VirtualInterfaces {

{ bge1:10.0.0.10/32 }
}
Arp-Cache = 90s

Notify {

#bge1:10.0.0.1/32
arp-cache
}
balance {

AcquisitionsPerRound = all
interval = 4s
}
# How long it takes us to mature
mature = 5s

The symptoms are:

1) Start spread. Comes right up.
2) Start Wackamole...get the boiler plate message, with the credits, etc.,
but no daemon. We've got pid files and the socket setup in /var/run/,
however the process id doesn't exist at all. It doesn't give us any errors
either. Silent.

Unfortunately, ktrace doesn't seem to give us too much more than this. The
last few lines of a ktrace.out shows this:

60751 wackamole RET write 81/0x51
60751 wackamole CALL fork
60751 wackamole RET fork 60752/0xed50
60751 wackamole CALL exit(0x1)

....which may or may not be meaningful - I just don't know. No other obvious
errors were noticed in the trace.

We mounted /proc, as a hunch, but that doesn't seem to work either. Our
FreeBSD 4.8 machine works well wackamole-wise. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Matt
Wackamole on FreeBSD 5.1 will not start [ In reply to ]