Mailing List Archive

Wackamole-users] Re: Segfault when running wackamole in foreground

Wackamole-users] Re: Segfault when running wackamole in foreground [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, Oct 2, 2003, at 19:15 US/Eastern, Matthias Weidle wrote:

>> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:54:25AM -0400, Ryan Caudy wrote:
>>> Hi! I don't know about why Wackamole is segfaulting, although I'll
>>> look
>>> into it if it continues as a problem for you. My concern is that
>>> your
>>> spread.conf seems incorrect, which might cause wackamole to behave
>>> in an
>>> odd manner.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing that out-- I was seeing some odd ICMP redirects
>> which
>> have now stopped happening. Will check out the "mature time"
>> discussion
>> earlier, but I think I know what you're getting at.
>>
>> Unfortunately it didn't change the segfaulting behaviour when running
>> in
>> the foreground; I will try it on OpenBSD later to see if that behaves
>> the
>> same way. It's only a problem in that: 1) it makes me worry that
>> wackamole may keel over while managing our routers' IP addresses,
>> though
>> presumably this list's experience can tell me otherwise, and 2) I
>> can't
>> supervise the daemon the way I'd like. The main thing is that it
>> works,
>> but if you have the time to look into it that would be great :)
>

> i dunno if it is breaking other things but i have experienced the very
> same problem with segfaulting and i was able to fix that after
> compiling wackamole without thread support. i suppose the
> glibc/threadlib is to blame in that case ...

I believe that is a stack space issue. The release version of
wackamole requires and inordinately large stack size. While that might
be common in unithread applications, it isn't in multithreaded
applications. I think the CVS version has this problem fixed -- I'd
love to know if people still see the same problems with CVS HEAD.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// Postal Engine -- http://www.postalengine.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on earth