Mailing List Archive

wackamole convergence speed
I've got wackamole working great for ip failover. Unfortunately, it's
working TOO great. apparently, we don't want the address to fail over any
quicker than one minute. apparently, we've got some networking issues that
we hope to sweep under the rug by not failing over at the first sign of
trouble. is there a configuration parameter that will cause it to not fail
the interface over unless it's been a minute?
wackamole convergence speed [ In reply to ]
There's no solution for that built into wackamole. Previous attempts to
alter the failure detection time have all been in the other direction,
and have involved modifications to timeouts within the Spread toolkit.
Modifications in the opposite direction shouldn't be impossible, and may
suit your application here. On the other hand, it would probably be
easier to just add a delay that works similar to the balance timeout
between the receipt of a regular membership message from Spread and the
beginning of the GATHER state.

--Ryan Caudy

wackamole convergence speed [ In reply to ]
in other words modify the code? Can do, but would prefer to avoid it, if
there's a config option. Can anyone give me a rundown of what the maturity
rate and balance interval in the config really mean in practical terms?

wackamole convergence speed [ In reply to ]
Maturity is a timeout for when Wackamole daemon's run initially. They
don't grab any IPs the first time until the timeout occurs, or until
they hear from someone who is already mature. Balance is just the
length of time between rounds of balancing IP addresses between daemons
(if you configure it to do so incrementally). Neither helps in your
situation, as far as I can imagine. :-(

--Ryan