don't put the vip as the address I want it to take over? or if it has
multiple vips and ONE of them is 0.0.0.0 it's like a switch? What does my
config need to look like to have two machines and one vip?
failover [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Tuesday, April 1, 2003, 6:28:06 PM, John Jolet wrote:

JJ> I'm testing wackamole for ip failover and running into some problems. I've
JJ> got spread working on both machines just fine. I want to have two machines,
JJ> but one address that they trade back and forth depending on who's up. I got
JJ> the first machine to create the vip and it works dandy. The second machine
JJ> is on a different subnet, but as I said CAN talk spread-to-spread.
Are the two IP addresses wackamole is responsible for on the same
subnet.
JJ> I made
JJ> the second machine's wacamole.conf identical to the first's, which was a
JJ> mistake...
That is what most people do. It works very well as long as there
is no preferred IP.
JJ> it took over the address, but the other box didn't give it
JJ> up....
sounds like the two wackamoles cannot talk to each other. Check
your spread config. You can have config options to see group
information and whether or not the two managed to join the same group.
JJ> or maybe I just didn't let it run long enough?
That is unlikely except is maturity is very low(wackamole config).
JJ> Anyway, in the readme,
JJ> it says "number of virtual ips that wackamole manages can be less than
JJ> number of machines that wackamole manages if some machines have config vip
JJ> 0.0.0.0". What does that mean? Does it mean that on the second box, i
JJ> don't put the vip as the address I want it to take over? or if it has
JJ> multiple vips and ONE of them is 0.0.0.0 it's like a switch? What does my
JJ> config need to look like to have two machines and one vip?
Use a wackamole.conf with one virtual IP and no preferred IP.

Hope this helps :)

Ashima mailto:munjal@cnds.jhu.edu
failover [ In reply to ]
Okay, the two machines are on tow different networks, but i know the spreads
can talk, because i'm using spread for something else with these machines
and it's fine. I can see them both belonging to the wack1 group in the
spuser tool. The maturity setting is the default in the sample config. The
config has prefer none. I'll try it again and let it run longer....