Mailing List Archive

Wackamole shutdown process
Wackamole folks,
What method do you use to "cleanly" shut down a wackamole server for
minimal downtime? I've found the following works:

ifconfig | grep eth0: # locate virtual interfaces (ie eth0:1)
ps x | grep wackamole # locate wackamole PID
kill -9 WACK-PID ; ifconfig VIRT-INT down

If I have a continuous ping going, I never see the traffic drop using
this method (it just instantly is taken over by the other wackamole server).
Is there a cleaner method to do this that I'm overlooking?

If not, I was futher trying to simplify this by writing a shutdown
script. I'm not that good at scripting in unix just yet, but I know what I
need to accomplish, just not the syntax or formatting to get it into a
script needing no human intervention:

## Kill off wackamole ##
ps x | grep wackamole | awk '(print $1}'

# this will kick out the PID of wackamole
# I need a way to get that PID at the end of this command:
kill -9

## Down the virtual interfaces ##

ifconfig | grep eth0: | awk '{print $1}'

# This will kick out:
eth0:1
eth0:2
eth0:n

# From there, I basically need a way to loop through the output and do the
following command:
ifconfig $virtual_interface down

TIA,
Jason Roysdon
http://jason.roysdon.net

Wackamole shutdown process [ In reply to ]
just do a "wackatrl -f" to take the machine out of the cluster, and a
"wackatrl -s" to return it to service.

Jay West