Mailing List Archive

Solaris 8 test environment / What are you using Wackamole for?
No word yet, but I only emailed a few hours ago. Sorry about the nasty
formatting of that first post. Going from Pine to Hotmail is ugly.

I'm not sure if this is off-topic or not, but I'm curious what others are
using Wackamole for?

Our proposed environment is using round-robin DNS pointing at the VIPs of
each Apache server running the Weblogic Load-balancing/clustering Plug-in,
which in turn keep track of all BEA servers, which in turn pass all state
information and communicate to both Oracle DB servers which in turn are
constantly talking to each other (I'm not a DBA or even pretend to know what
is going on with Weblogic, but I understand networking). My ASCII-art only
shows a pair of each server, but you could scale any portion of this to
include more servers depending on where the load and bottlenecks are.

-------------- --------------
| Apache w/ | | Apache w/ |
| Weblogic |---| Weblogic |
| Plug-in #1 | | Plug-in #2 |
-------------\ /-------------
| X |
--------------/ \--------------
| Weblogic | | Weblogic |
| BEA #1 | | BEA #2 |
--------------\ /--------------
| X |
--------------/ \--------------
| Oracle DB |---| Oracle DB |
-------------- --------------

Without Wackamole, we'd need something like a pair of Cisco Local Directors
out front, but those are $10K each plus a $200 failover cable (you'd think
they'd just give the failover cable to you for spending $20K).

Jason Roysdon, CCDP/CCNP:Security, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
Public email : jroysdon@hotmail.com
Homepage : http://jason.roysdon.net/

PS: Don't use a subject like that looks like spam, as your message will end
up in my junk filter and never be read.

>From: Alex Lee <alee@2win.com>
>Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:56:02 -0700 (PDT)
>

>Jason,
>
> I got pretty much similar problem in my Solaris 8 installation. I am
>glad to see that you can offer two Solaris boxes for troubleshooting. Has
>the offer been taken by Wackamole developers? I think quite a few of us
>are anxiously looking forward to be able to run spread/wackamole/backhand
>on Solaris.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alex
>
>On Tue, 28 May 2002, Jason Roysdon wrote:
<snip>

Solaris 8 test environment / What are you using Wackamole for? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, May 28, 2002, at 06:47 PM, Jason Roysdon wrote:
> Without Wackamole, we'd need something like a pair of Cisco Local
> Directors out front, but those are $10K each plus a $200 failover cable
> (you'd think they'd just give the failover cable to you for spending
> $20K).

Well. Wackamole should work fine. I wouldn't get cisco local director
boxes for that anyway. you can get a pair of Foundry ServerIron for
about $6k (total). Also, take a look at Extreme networks. Buy them
used -- the market is flooded and buy enterprise support direct or from
a third party.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant