Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] Hi All

------=_NextPart_000_0178_01C184D1.F29002C0

Hi All
=20
I am planning to host an application and its size is going to be big =
one , so
expect the concurrent number of connection s to be around 2200.To =
combat the
same , want to perform load sharing on 3-4 servers.So the ide is to put =
one
machine on external IP and this machine , after receiving the requests =
would
forward them to any of the other three machines having the application
deployed and running on the same environment.Pls suggest how can i =
achieve
this on apache.
To add , i am running on win-2000

-Hemant

------=_NextPart_000_0178_01C184D1.F29002C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New =
Roman"=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D3>&nbsp;<FONT color=3D#0000ff>Hi =
All</FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New =
Roman"=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D3><FONT color=3D#0000ff>&nbsp;<BR> I am planning =
to host an=20
application and its size is going to be big one , so<BR>&nbsp;expect the =

concurrent number of connection s to be around 2200.To combat =
the<BR>&nbsp;same=20
, want to perform load sharing on 3-4 servers.So the ide is to put=20
one<BR>&nbsp;machine on external IP and this machine , after receiving =
the=20
requests would<BR>&nbsp;forward them to any of the other three machines =
having=20
the application<BR>&nbsp;deployed and running on the same =
environment.Pls=20
suggest how can i achieve<BR>&nbsp;this on apache.</FONT></FONT><BR>To =
add , i=20
am running on win-2000</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>-Hemant</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0178_01C184D1.F29002C0--
[mod_backhand-users] Hi All [ In reply to ]
On Friday, December 14, 2001, at 08:32 AM, Hemant Singh wrote:
> I am planning to host an application and its size is going to be big=20=

> one , so
> =A0expect the concurrent number of connection s to be around 2200.To=20=

> combat the

2200 concurrent connections? I'd buy a content switch. You can still=20=

use mod_backhand if you need some more advanced features that the switch=20=

doesn't offer, but 2200 concurrent connections is a hefty amount.

> =A0same , want to perform load sharing on 3-4 servers.So the ide is to=20=

> put one
> =A0machine on external IP and this machine , after receiving the =
requests=20
> would
> =A0forward them to any of the other three machines having the =
application
> =A0deployed and running on the same environment.Pls suggest how can i=20=

> achieve
> =A0this on apache.
> To add , i am running on win-2000

Without knowing the nature of your application, I can't make any=20
scalability suggestions.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E 491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984
[mod_backhand-users] Hi All [ In reply to ]
Hemant

Mod_backhand ONLY works with APACHE on unix machines. (linux, etc).
Mod_backhand is the part that actually does the distribution of the load.
So you must have at least 1 machine running some flavor of unix / apache /
mod_backhand to do load balancing with mod_backhand. This server should be
the one with the public IP address.

You can backhand to NT IIS or NT Apache servers using the NT Backhand
Broadcaster (NTBHB). (See the links on the mod_backhand website) This will
broadcast NT's performance stats to the mod_backhand machines (unix) so that
it can decide which NT machines to backhand too.

Be sure you use mod_backhand 1.2.1 with NTBHB. Theo just made changes to
the CVS version of mod_backhand that probably breaks NTBHB and mod_backhand
compatibility. I will make changes to bring the two items back in line, but
won't be able to get to that for a few weeks.

Good luck
Rob

[mod_backhand-users] Hi All [ In reply to ]
Hi Theo

My application is using Oracle 8i as the back-end database and using
JSP/Servlet as the request processing back-end technology on Apache - Tomcat
offcourse on Win-2000.Its totaly web based product and IE specific.As of now
i have one machine on an external IP which hosts the requests.But that
leaves me with chances of driving this server in congestion in case of large
concurrent request (which i am aiming for ).So pls suggest if i can do
something in this scenario

Thanks
Hemant

[mod_backhand-users] Hi All [ In reply to ]
On Friday, December 14, 2001, at 11:42 PM, Hemant Singh wrote:
> My application is using Oracle 8i as the back-end database and using
> JSP/Servlet as the request processing back-end technology on Apache -
> Tomcat
> offcourse on Win-2000.Its totaly web based product and IE specific.As
> of now
> i have one machine on an external IP which hosts the requests.But that
> leaves me with chances of driving this server in congestion in case of
> large
> concurrent request (which i am aiming for ).So pls suggest if i can do
> something in this scenario

We have an installation of around 5 JSP/Servlet boxes running Apache -
Tomcat on Linux with two machines in front running
Apache+mod_backhand+mod_ssl that act as load balancers for the whole
site. The back end is Oracle 8i. Overall it sounds very similar to
your set up except for the second tier platform difference. Our
installation works very well.

If you need to run that on Windows 2000, you can just run NTBHB on the
Windows boxes and you would effectively be able to use the same topology
that we do.

We have:
2 x Dual Intel - Linux,Apache,mod_backhand,mod_ssl
IN FRONT OF
5 x Dual Intel - Linux,Apache,mod_backhand,mod_jk,Tomcat (Yours would be
Windows+NTBHB)
IN FRONT OF
1 x Sun 4500 - Solaris,Oracle 8i

Has worked well for use for almost 12 months.

As a note, I am unhappy with Java technology driving the back end of the
system. We don't do the development on this project, just the systems
design, implementation and maintenance.