Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] Multiple broadcasts from NT Backhand Broadcaster not working?
Hi -

I've got mod_backhand 1.2.0 set up on a Solaris box, and ntbhb set up as an
IIS filter on an NT box. I created a broadcast specification in the
registry on the NT box, fired it up, and everything seemed to work fine.
However, when I add a second broadcast specification to the registry, only
that second one shows up in the backhand status page on the Solaris box -
the first one disappears. As a test I added a couple more, and it's always
only the last one that shows up in the status list.

As far as I can tell I set up the second and additional broadcast specs just
like the docs explain: create another key under
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CerebraSoft\Backhand_Broadcast" and define the
appropriate values. In my case the only differences between the first two
broadcasts is that one advertises ContactPort 80 and the other advertises
ContactPort 81, and they have different HostName settings. Even if I swap
the port definitions, or make them both point to the same port, I only see
the last one show up in the status page.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Side note FYI: The docs for installing ntbhb as an IIS filter mention
setting an ISAPI filter pointing to "bhbFilter.dll", but the file name in
the distribution is "Backhand_Broadcast.dll".

Thanks!
Larry Leszczynski
Publisher Services
ProQuest Information and Learning
734-761-4700 ext. 3526
[mod_backhand-users] Multiple broadcasts from NT Backhand Broadcaster not working? [ In reply to ]
Larry,

If you check out what's going on the wire from NTBHB (i.e. packet
sniffer) you will find that the NTBHB is infact sending multiple broadcast
packets.

The multiple broadcast capability of NTBHB was created to allow different
"backhand clusters" to be created, and not really have multiple broadcasts
between the same group of machines. But I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I don't think there is really anything "wrong" with NTBHB, I think it's the
way mod_backhand itself recognizes "different" servers. It requires
different IP addresses. (if I recall correctly) If you setup the NT machine
with 2 different IP addresses, and have each broadcast use a different IP
address as the "contactIP" you should see two entries show up in the list on
the solaris machine.

If you want to "try it" you can just change the contactIP of the second
broadcast and it should show up in the list. Of course, if you try
backhanding to this IP things will fail because the machine is not really
listening on that IP. (until you add it to the IIS NT box)

Also, let me know how everything works for you. NTBHB works for me, but I
am not using it in production yet. (I have some other projects that need to
be completed before I put my systems into production)

As for the documentation error... ooops..

Later,
Rob