presentation that showed the peaks when just using BigIP and how backhand
could truly level the load across a cluster. I didn't see it in any of the
slides at backhand.org. Does anyone have a nice pretty picture of something
like that that I can show management? right now I'm just trying to convince
them to compile it into the servers in our test lab, but everyone thinks F5
is all we need and it's not worth even investigating...

thanks

--Geoff
[mod_backhand-users] BigIP 4.0 [ In reply to ]
On Friday, November 2, 2001, at 06:36 AM, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> I caught Theo's presentation way back in ApacheCon Orlando - cool
> stuff.
> anyway, just curious if anyone knows about using backhand with recent
> versions of BigIP - the network guys here are saying that BigIP 4.0 can
> do
> all the proxying stuff that backhand can do. well, they actually hadn't
> heard of backhand, so they were just saying that it could do what I was
> describing, but it's been a while since the presentation.

As far as I know, BigIP cannot do all of the proxying backhand can do.
It cannot multiplex incoming connections over a single back end
connection and it cannot dissect an incoming connection and assign
subsequent HTTP requests to different machines.

> are these guys on track?

Dunno. BigIP is a good product. I use it and I like it. But, the "we
can do everything you can do only better" argument gets a little old.
BigIP and mod_backhand are fundamentally different. mod_backhand could
do database lookup _before_ assigning the request to a specific machine
based on the headers -- try that with BigIP. BigIP can advertise a VIP
and balancing things like FTP and SMTP -- try that wth mod_backhand.
You get the picture.

> also, I swore that there was a couple of slides in the ApacheCon
> presentation that showed the peaks when just using BigIP and how
> backhand
> could truly level the load across a cluster. I didn't see it in any of
> the
> slides at backhand.org. Does anyone have a nice pretty picture of
> something
> like that that I can show management? right now I'm just trying to
> convince
> them to compile it into the servers in our test lab, but everyone
> thinks F5
> is all we need and it's not worth even investigating...

There are advantages of have mod_backhand behind (in conjunction with) a
BigIP.

o concise resource advertisements and display.
o more complex content and load-balancing rules.
o more intelligent handling of heterogeneous machines
o Sun, Intel, Alpha several of each all different disks, CPUs and
memory.
o graceful handling of misbehaving machines
o Dual processor machine, boots with only 1 processor online
o byzantine cron job runs awry and trashes disk, memory or CPU.
o slow disk failure impacts machines performance.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E 491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984
[mod_backhand-users] BigIP 4.0 [ In reply to ]
> As far as I know, BigIP cannot do all of the proxying backhand can do.
> It cannot multiplex incoming connections over a single back end
> connection and it cannot dissect an incoming connection and assign
> subsequent HTTP requests to different machines.

Actually, the new BIG-IPs can load balance based on the URI (have to
in order to be competitive with CSS) but it's a bit more CPU intensive
than normal TCP forwarding.

> > are these guys on track?

sub(/track/, 'crack') ??

> Dunno. BigIP is a good product. I use it and I like it. But, the "we
> can do everything you can do only better" argument gets a little old.
> BigIP and mod_backhand are fundamentally different. mod_backhand could
> do database lookup _before_ assigning the request to a specific machine
> based on the headers -- try that with BigIP. BigIP can advertise a VIP
> and balancing things like FTP and SMTP -- try that wth mod_backhand.
> You get the picture.

::drool:: mod_backhand + port forwarder

Real quick: big-ip can't even come close to replacing the benefit of
having something proxy out the content. mod_backhand can act as that
proxy, but big-ip can't: it's just a fancy port forwarding machine with
almost no buffer (ie: your 20MB mod_perl process is still spending
time sending data to the client instead of serving another request for
a proxy server). -sc