understand.) Right now, we are pumping our HTTP connections to one of
the backhand servers in the cluster. This server must therefore run an
httpd process per open connection, and at the expense of 7MB of
residential memory per httpd process, we are quickly running out of
resources. We did look into round robin DNS, but it isn't really a
solution but another problem maker for us.

TIA
Monte
AW: [mod_backhand-users] hardware/software load balancers? [ In reply to ]
hello

we are working with the following configuration:

2 LVS (linux virtual server /packet directors)
using HA monitor to watch each other and the whole cluster.
the standby server jumps in, if server 1 does not respond.
if one of the 4 apache/tomcats does not respond it is taken out of the
cluster.

1 LVS is active and directs the packages to 4 apache/tomcats
via weighted round robin.

on the apache/tomcats are a bunch of different servlets for B2B
applications. all of them are using https/ssl, and of course not all
servlets do have the same transaction time / cpu load.

so lets say one server gets radomly the requests for the same servlet (the
one with the eg. highest cpu load) over and over again.

mod_backhand jumps in :)

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/
http://www.linux-ha.org/

regards
lothar
AW: [mod_backhand-users] hardware/software load balancers? [ In reply to ]
hi
i have a little problem with loadbalancing apache/tomcat in multipls servers

i m tying to do that

i have two groups of servers ( redhat 6.2 and tomcat 3.2 ,apache 1.3.20 with
backhand ) in
the same network
Group A
with 3 servers PC1 PC2 PC3
Group B
with 2 servers PC4 PC5
i want to make loadbalancing between PC 1 PC2 PC3 only
and loadbalancing between PC4 PC5 only
1- It is possible ? and how ?how can i verify that the multiple tomcat
connect between them ?
2-Loadbalancing preserve the jsession id ? if tomcat in PC2 created a
jsessionid for a specifc web request , the next request from the same client
will go to the same PC2 who have an opened sessionid for this client ?

a desciption of the problem is attached at the end of the message .

> we are working with the following configuration:
>
> 2 LVS (linux virtual server /packet directors)
> using HA monitor to watch each other and the whole cluster.
> the standby server jumps in, if server 1 does not respond.
> if one of the 4 apache/tomcats does not respond it is taken out of the
> cluster.
>
> 1 LVS is active and directs the packages to 4 apache/tomcats
> via weighted round robin.
>
> on the apache/tomcats are a bunch of different servlets for B2B
> applications. all of them are using https/ssl, and of course not all
> servlets do have the same transaction time / cpu load.
>
> so lets say one server gets radomly the requests for the same servlet (the
> one with the eg. highest cpu load) over and over again.
>
> mod_backhand jumps in :)
>

> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/
> http://www.linux-ha.org/
>
> regards
> lothar

Hello ,
im using the latest release of mod_backhand with apache 1.3.20 and with
jdk1.3 and tomcat .

Desciption of my architecture :

i have 2 web servers that make the same work , i use mod_backhand for the
loadbalancing between them .
and i use workers.properties in the Tomcat configuration to allow
loadballancing between the two tomcat server .
i have one dns server using bind who makes Round Robin with 1 secondes TTL
for the both entries ( server web 1 and server web 2 )
they are accessible from the internet under the same name www.server.com (
for ex)

when a client connect for the first time in www.server.com , he is redirect
to server web 1 ( for exemple ) . then a session is created (jsessionid=...
)in this server , and when he makes another GET , he must be redirected to
the same server web where he has a session opened .

when i tried to connect from the internet to www.server.com with a direct
connection , it s work very well .... session are always retrieved .
but when i tried to surf on www.server.com using a proxy -cache server ( like
squid ) to access to the internet , i have a problem with a JSP request .
the client isnot redirected to the right server , so he didnt retrive his
session .

AW: AW: [mod_backhand-users] hardware/software load balancers? [ In reply to ]
hi

hatim wrote:
> 2-Loadbalancing preserve the jsession id ? if tomcat in PC2 created a
> jsessionid for a specifc web request , the next request from
> the same client
> will go to the same PC2 who have an opened sessionid for this client ?

read this :)
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/persistence.html
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-8.html#ss8.4

hatim wrote:
> Group A
> with 3 servers PC1 PC2 PC3
> Group B
> with 2 servers PC4 PC5
> i want to make loadbalancing between PC 1 PC2 PC3 only
> and loadbalancing between PC4 PC5 only
> 1- It is possible ? and how ?how can i verify that the
> multiple tomcat
> connect between them ?

for LVS use different VIP's