Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] https and mod_backhand
Hey, does mod_backhand support HTTPS?

Or is it just a function of compiling in MOD_SSL into Apache, or using a
commercial product such as Covalent's raven?

Looking for an Apache load balancing solution with out having to shell out
20K for a Big IP, Local Director, etc.

Could do round-robin DNS , but someone told me about mod_backhand.

An answer to the HTTPS question, and another feedback regarding HTTP load
balancing solutions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance

greg pepper

Greg Pepper
Systems Engineer
Organic, Inc.
233 Broadway
New York, NY 10279
(212) 284-6236 : phone
(212) 284-6326 : fax
(877) 524-2691 : pager
page-gpepper@organic.com : pager
gpepper@organic.com
[mod_backhand-users] https and mod_backhand [ In reply to ]
On Monday, May 14, 2001, at 09:42 AM, Greg Pepper wrote:
> Hey, does mod_backhand support HTTPS?
>
> Or is it just a function of compiling in MOD_SSL into Apache, or using
> a commercial product such as Covalent's raven?

Yup.

> Looking for an Apache load balancing solution with out having to shell
> out 20K for a Big IP, Local Director, etc.
> Could do round-robin DNS , but someone told me about mod_backhand.
>
> An answer to the HTTPS question, and another feedback regarding HTTP
> load balancing solutions would be greatly appreciated!

If you aren't going to have a HA (high availability) device in front,
you probably want to set up something like the "single point cluster"
described in the "mod_backhand: internal explained" ApacheCon course
notes. Look on page 10, section 6.1. The course notes are available
here:

http://www.backhand.org/ApacheCon2001/US/backhand_course_notes.pdf

The only change is that the front-end machine must have SSL enabled (via
Raven or mod_ssl or ApacheSSL). The requests that are proxied to
back-end machines will be done so over normal HTTP (not SSL). This is a
Good Thing (TM) because you definitely do not want encryption being
performed twice.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E 491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984