Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] mod_backhand and DNS
Hello,
I have my cluster and all the machines have mod_backhand configure whith =
apache.
Do i need to define all the machines in the DNS like
www 300 IN A ip1
300 IN A ip2
300 IN A ip3
300 IN A ip4
Why can't i defined just the first (or anyone else), which can redirect a=
ll the request ?

When i compile apache and mod_backhand, everything goes well, but the mod=
ule byHostname.so isn't created.
is it normal ?
I then created it myself by the command line /full/path/to/apache/bin/apx=
s -c -o byHostname.so byHostname.c
but i can't use it: i put this in the apache configuration file:

<Directory /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin>
BackhandFromSO libexec/byHostname.so byHostname my_machine
</Directory>

and the logs tells me:
Syntax error on line 480 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'BackhandFromSO', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a mod=
ule not included in the server configuration

What's wrong ?

Thanks

--
J=E9r=F4me
[mod_backhand-users] mod_backhand and DNS [ In reply to ]
Jerome Tournier wrote:

> Hello,
> I have my cluster and all the machines have mod_backhand configure whith apache.
> Do i need to define all the machines in the DNS like
> www 300 IN A ip1
> 300 IN A ip2
> 300 IN A ip3
> 300 IN A ip4
> Why can't i defined just the first (or anyone else), which can redirect all the request ?

Either way will work fine. You can have an any, some, or all defined in your
DNS record. There are advantages and disadvantages to each configuration.

> When i compile apache and mod_backhand, everything goes well, but the module byHostname.so isn't created.
> is it normal ?

Hmm... if complied via apxs, yes. If you actually compile mod_backhand in the
Apache source tree (with the ./precomile script) then it will build it for
you.

> I then created it myself by the command line /full/path/to/apache/bin/apxs -c -o byHostname.so byHostname.c
> but i can't use it: i put this in the apache configuration file:

After you do that (that command should work fine), you need to manually copy
it the the /path/to/apache/libexec directory.

> <Directory /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin>
> BackhandFromSO libexec/byHostname.so byHostname my_machine
> </Directory>
>
> and the logs tells me:
> Syntax error on line 480 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'BackhandFromSO', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
>
> What's wrong ?

I am not sure. BackhandFromSO should work fine. Can you confirm that
mod_backhand is working before that? i.e. you can see the status page and you
can use the normal "Backhand" directives?

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E 2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F