frontpage request, some of the data is getting munged and is considered
malformed when it reaches the server it was internally proxy redirected
to.

Has anyone else experienced this or seen possible work arounds? I'd
like to have my Frontpage client requests balnced with backhand as well,
rahter then shoved off to it's own box just for FP clients.

Kyle Stone
kstone@win.net
[mod_backhand-users] Mod_Backhand and Frontpage extentions. [ In reply to ]
Well, first off, let me confess my ignorance of how FrontPage works. Now, I
will talk about what I do know. Maybe someone with a little knowledge of
FrontPage will be able to piece together why this doesn't work.

mod_backhand actually plays "man-in-the-middle" wth regards to proxying HTTP
requests. It takes the liberty of upgrading non-persistent HTTP sessions to
persistent sessions during proxying.

This allows mod_backhand to maintain open TCP/IP sessions and pipeline the
HTTP requests/responses between itself and another server, while the client
never knows the difference.

Client -> HTTP/1.0 no keepalive -> mod_backhand -> upgrades to keepalive ->
selected server -> HTTP/1.0 with keepalive -> mod_backhand -> HTTP/1.0 no
keepalive -> Client.

Because of this, mod_backhand must know the internals of HTTP and counts on
the request and response being valid HTTP/1.0 requests... If frontpage
requires a "change" to the HTTP protocol, that would completely break
mod_backhand's ability to HTTP redirect the request. But, perhaps the HTTP
redirection methods will work for you:
http://www.backhand.org/mod_backhand/FAQ.shtml#question7

Hope this helps some :-)

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E 2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F