Mailing List Archive

Simple setup question
hello, have a quick question and I'm not following the discussion on
MulticastStats and its relation to AcceptStats.

Ok, let's say I have:
server 1 at www.zzz.com on IP address 1.2.3.4
server 2 at www2.zzz.com on IP address 5.6.7.8

What I want to happen is externally everyone still sees 1.2.3.4 as the IP
(this is the broadcast IP?) for www.zzz.com, but I will load mod_backhand on
both servers so that they can share the load of requests for www.zzz.com.

Can you simply list the statements I need in the communication section of
httpd.conf for each server? That would be most helpful.

I think I figured if you are sitting on the main server, the list of
AcceptStats entries represents the list of servers you are prepared to
connect to for load balancing, is this correct? How can I set which one is
the "main" server, thanks.

To add a monkey wrench... I noticed from some links I found, it's on a
port-by-port listening basis. Can I set mod_backhand to only share the load
on port 80? I want all SSL requests to remain on 1.2.3.4. Now, having
said that, will the load algorithm take into account that there are some
"unshared" requests?

Thanks in advance!
Dayle (Solver)

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
Simple setup question [ In reply to ]
Mhm. I suppose that the 2 hosts are on the same network, or die multicasts
wont
work... I give them the IPs 1.2.3.4, 1.2.3.5.... in the httpd.conf

<IfModule mod_backhand.c>
UnixSocketDir /some/dir/infilesystem
MulticastStats 1.2.3.4:80 1.2.3.255:4445,1
AcceptStats 1.2.3.4/32
AcceptStats 1.2.3.5/32
BackhandConnectionPools Off

# For http://1.2.3.x/backhand - Statusview
<Location "/backhand/">
SetHandler backhand-handler
</Location>
</IfModule>

Its not neccersary (i think its not possible) told backhand that it only
should remain the port 80. you do this as example with vhosts in
your apache-conf.

like

<virtualhost 1.2.3.4:80>
Backhand byAge
Backhand addSelf
Backhand byLoad 0.2
</virtualhost>

on the other host

<virtualhost 1.2.3.5:80>
Backhand byAge
Backhand addSelf
Backhand byLoad 0.2
</virtualhost>

Hope this works :)

Andreas

Simple setup question [ In reply to ]
Andreas,
thanks for the quick answer, but I do not have the option of changing the
IP addresses. We already have the one Virtual server hosted by Verio, and
we want to add a second to it.

As for the 443 question... I did get the /backhand/ monitor up on the
single server, but it shows it's listening for 1.2.3.4:443? I dont want it
to listen for :443...

I can see what you are saying about putting the port in the
<Virtualhost...> tag, but from the status screen, doesnt look like backhand
is listening to that port.

Thanks in advance!

Dayle

Simple setup question [ In reply to ]
Hey Dayle,

Mod_backhand seems to select which port to use based on the order they
appear in the apache config. From memory, I think it chooses the latter.

We just swapped the ordering in the apache.conf file, and the backhand
monitoring page now shows the nodes listenening on port 80.

Eg. In /etc/httpd/apache.conf:
Listen 443
Listen 80

Hope this helps,

Bryan

Simple setup question [ In reply to ]
ah I will try that. I had seen those articles, I had reversed some other
things with :443 and :80, but not the Listen statements. Thanks!!

Can you help me with the other part as well? I have read the multicaststats
and broadcast discussions, but I'm not following it. It seems to me that
Multicast implies you are sending to a range of IPs on a private network
(hence the last field is .255) ?

But I only have two individual IP addresses to deal with. One is the
current server, and the other IP address is the server I want to add to the
load balancing act. (We might want to add more later, but I figure if I can
get two...).

Again, thanks in advance!

Simple setup question [ In reply to ]
Hey Dayle,

Dunno how much you know about multicasting, but the basic idea is that a
node can send a single message to multiple machines. If you like, Multicast
packets are addressed to a network, rather than a specific IP address. The
size (and therefore number of nodes) of the network that you send it to
depends on the address and netmask you use. Eg. If you use
192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0, then all machines with Ips like 192.168.1.* will
get the message (255 nodes).

Likewise, the AcceptStats setting allows you to receive stats from a number
of nodes without having to specify each and every node ip address.

But... From what I understand, you have two machines that don't necessarily
have sequential IPs or even on the same network segment. If the two servers
are in geographically the same place, I would throw in a second network card
and use an internal LAN for the mod_backhand chatter. However, if that's not
possible, then you should be able to do something like:

(this is from my head, so you should go check the syntax!)

On 1.2.3.4 use:
MulticastStats 5.6.7.8:4445
AcceptStats 5.6.7.9/32

On 5.6.7.8 use:
MulticastStats 1.2.3.4:4445
AcceptStats 1.2.3.4/32

I've not got any docs or my config available at the moment, but, you might
even be able to add multiple MulticastStats/AcceptStats lines per config
file to simplify things or to allow more machines to be added at a later
date.

Good luck,

Bryan

Simple setup question [ In reply to ]
Bryan,
thanks, I think that's what I need.

But I do have a question... why on server 1.2.3.4 you have AcceptStats
5.6.7.9/32? That means "range from 9 to 32" right? why not just from
5.6.7.8 ?

If it helps any, we want 1.2.3.4 to be the "main" server. Also, 1.2.3.4
is the external world IP to our site.

Also what is the /32 for? I thought that was for an IP range? there are
no additional IPs to listen for (at least not that belong to us!!)

You are correct they are not on the same network. In fact they are two
Virtual accounts hosted on Verio. (well they MIGHT be on the same internal
network, but I have no way of knowing).

>From: "Bryan Ross" <lists@liquidstate.net>
>To: backhand-users@lists.backhand.org
>Subject: RE: [m_b_users] Simple setup question
>Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:02:16 -0000
>
>Hey Dayle,
>
>Dunno how much you know about multicasting, but the basic idea is that a
>node can send a single message to multiple machines. If you like, Multicast
>packets are addressed to a network, rather than a specific IP address. The
>size (and therefore number of nodes) of the network that you send it to
>depends on the address and netmask you use. Eg. If you use
>192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0, then all machines with Ips like 192.168.1.* will
>get the message (255 nodes).
>
>Likewise, the AcceptStats setting allows you to receive stats from a number
>of nodes without having to specify each and every node ip address.
>
>But... From what I understand, you have two machines that don't necessarily
>have sequential IPs or even on the same network segment. If the two servers
>are in geographically the same place, I would throw in a second network
>card
>and use an internal LAN for the mod_backhand chatter. However, if that's
>not
>possible, then you should be able to do something like:
>
>(this is from my head, so you should go check the syntax!)
>
>On 1.2.3.4 use:
>MulticastStats 5.6.7.8:4445
>AcceptStats 5.6.7.9/32
>
>On 5.6.7.8 use:
>MulticastStats 1.2.3.4:4445
>AcceptStats 1.2.3.4/32
>
>I've not got any docs or my config available at the moment, but, you might
>even be able to add multiple MulticastStats/AcceptStats lines per config
>file to simplify things or to allow more machines to be added at a later
>date.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Bryan

Have fun customizing MSN Messenger — learn how here!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize
Simple setup question [ In reply to ]
Sorry, my mail should have read "AcceptStats 5.6.7.8/32"

AcceptStats 5.6.7.8/32 is a short way of writing 5.6.7.8/255.255.255.255,
which in terms of broadcast packets means a single host, eg. 5.6.7.8.
Normally, you'll see people using /24, which means 255.255.255.0. Thus, /24
lets me accept stats from my whole (internal) network.

You might not need the /32 on the end though if mod_backhand can work it out
by itself.

On a completely separate note, if you've got two machines with external IPs,
you might want to look at wackamole to give your webhosting a bit of extra
reliability.

Again, you will probably need to check the exact usage of MulticastStats and
AcceptStats because its been a while since I had to use them, and I don't
have any documentation handy! Don't be surprised if I've got an IP address
in the wrong place. The main concept is that you're trying to 'multicast'
your stats to a single machine.

Good Luck,

Bryan