Mailing List Archive

mod_backhand.so: please recompile it with -DEAPI -- How?
Hello,

after compiling mod_backhand.so (1.2.2) and copying it to /usr/lib/apache
(1.3.20) I get this message in /var/log/httpd/error_log:

[warn] Loaded DSO /usr/lib/apache/mod_backhand.so uses plain Apache 1.3
API, this module might crash under EAPI! (please recompile it with -DEAPI)

And then a lot of segmentation faults for many pids:

child pid 1969 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

So I tried the following:

export CFLAGS='-DEAPI'
./precompile (in backhand dir)
./configure .... (in apache dir)
make (in apache dir)

The new mod_backhand.so has exactly the same size as the old one and it does
not change anything. But some files in apache_1.3.20/src/modules/backhand
contain "EAPI":

Makefile:EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DEAPI `$(SRCDIR)/apaci`
config.status:s%@CFLAGS@%-DEAPI%g

Can anyone help?

Kind Regard

Thomas
mod_backhand.so: please recompile it with -DEAPI -- How? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003, at 12:34 US/Eastern, Thomas Buehren wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after compiling mod_backhand.so (1.2.2) and copying it to
> /usr/lib/apache
> (1.3.20) I get this message in /var/log/httpd/error_log:
>
> [warn] Loaded DSO /usr/lib/apache/mod_backhand.so uses plain Apache
> 1.3
> API, this module might crash under EAPI! (please recompile it with
> -DEAPI)
>
> And then a lot of segmentation faults for many pids:
>
> child pid 1969 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
>
> So I tried the following:
>
> export CFLAGS='-DEAPI'
> ./precompile (in backhand dir)
> ./configure .... (in apache dir)
> make (in apache dir)
>
> The new mod_backhand.so has exactly the same size as the old one and
> it does
> not change anything. But some files in
> apache_1.3.20/src/modules/backhand
> contain "EAPI":
>
> Makefile:EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DEAPI `$(SRCDIR)/apaci`
> config.status:s%@CFLAGS@%-DEAPI%g
>
> Can anyone help?

The EAPI only extends the Apache module structure. So, if you use gcc
as your compiler, it should not matter. gcc will auto fill any
unspecified module elements with NULL. So, the segfaults shouldn't be
from that.

Try using apxs to compile mod_backhand.
Get you Apache ready to go without mod_backhand, compile and install
(and test).
Then in the backhand dir:
./configure --with-apxs=/path/to/apache/bin/apxs
make
make install

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// Postal Engine -- http://www.postalengine.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on earth
mod_backhand.so: please recompile it with -DEAPI -- How? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

thank you very much for the fast reply. mod_backhand.so is now 75 bytes
larger. But the result is the same (please recompile with -DEAPI and
segmentations faults)

BTW: make install said:
./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/lib
./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/info
make: INSTALL@: Command not found
make: *** [install] Error 127

So I copied mod_backhand.so to /usr/lib/apache and issued the last command
of "make install" manually: apxs -i -A -n backhand backhand.so. This put #
signs before LoadModule / AddModule mod_backhand in my httpd.conf, and
apache did not recognize any Backhand command, so i removed the # to load
the module. (Should it have been loaded without that through apxs?)

Thomas

mod_backhand.so: please recompile it with -DEAPI -- How? [ In reply to ]
BTW: It works with the pre-compiled mod_backhand.so from SUSE 7.3
But there seem to be some errors in that, and I would like to update to the
newest version (1.2.2 I hope)
Thomas