machines also?
2. I am having problems configuring httpd.conf because I only want to
have 2-3 machines to start off with but I do not know how I should setup the
"MulticastStats and AcceptStats" correctly. For example... I want to use
10.1.0.50 and 10.1.0.51 to start off... how can I set that up?

I appreciate any help or direction that is given!

Thanks,
James
[mod_backhand-users] test enviornment [ In reply to ]
James Ching wrote:
> 1. I have mod_backhand installed on the main machine that I want to
> have distributing the load... do I have to install the module on the other
> machines also?

The short answer... yes. mod_backhand works on the basis of peers. One
machine isn't responsible for distributing the load. Every server in
the cluster should be able to redirect requests to any other machine.
If you keep that in mind, I think it is easier to understand how to set
them up.

> 2. I am having problems configuring httpd.conf because I only want to
> have 2-3 machines to start off with but I do not know how I should setup the
> "MulticastStats and AcceptStats" correctly. For example... I want to use
> 10.1.0.50 and 10.1.0.51 to start off... how can I set that up?

10.0.0.0/8 is RFC1918 space (non-routable). So it safe to just say
AcceptStats 10.0.0.0/8

As for MulticastStats, this is either IP multicast (and must use the IP
multicast allocated IP space) or as IP broadcast. If you netmask is
255.255.255.0 then you want to set your address as:
MulticastStats 10.1.0.255:4445

mod_backhand currently calls gethostbyname(hostname()) to find its
"local" IP. This means that if you want these machines to be able to
talk correctly (mod_backhand issue). You will need to make sure that
there is an entry in /etc/hosts on each machine associating the 10/8
space IP with the hostname.

Example:
If your 10.1.0.50 server's `hostname` return "nova.exmaple.com", add a:
10.1.0.50 nova.exmaple.com
to your /etc/hosts.

This was done because if you have your machines set up in the fashion,
you would always want them to talk over your private network. Some have
requested an option to specify this IP in the httpd.conf, so that
feature will be added (hopefully in 1.0.9).

--
Theo Schlossnagle
33131B65/2047/71 F7 95 64 49 76 5D BA 3D 90 B9 9F BE 27 24 E7