Mailing List Archive

mod_rewrite / SSL
Hi there,

i've some - more or less - big problems here ... i'd like to use
mod_backhand for one of our customers which has an SSL-Only Website with
Zope as 'Backend'.

The Situation is as follows (if the ASCII-Art is fucked up, please just
configure your client to display fixed-sized font, Courier New eg.):

UPLINK

Switch - - - - - - - - - - - + (Failover-Connection)
| |
| |
(eth0: 443) | | (eth0: 443)
Server 1 <---(eth1: 80)---> Server 2
| |
(lo; mod_rewrite - 9000) (lo; mod_rewrite - 9000)
| |
Zope Zope

So, if Server 1 goes down, Server 2 activates the Failover-Interface and
takes the IP (eth0) of Server 1, which should work quite well. mod_backhand
itself seems to work with this HTTPS/HTTP-Failover-Connection and the
internal HTTP-Redirect too (it was a bit tricky to configure this).

My Problem - to come to the point :-) - espacially is, that if backhand
decides to serve the request from the local server (e.g Server 1) the
mod_rewrite-rules doesn't apply any more. A Request like '/manage' (which
normally gets rewritten to localhost:9000/manage) returns a 404 - if served
from the local host, if it gets proxied/backhanded the request works,
because the mod_rewrite-rules from e.g. Server 2 apply.

Besides, another (testing-only) Situation (only Server 1 and Server 2
without Zope and any rewrite-rules and DocumentRoot /path/to/somewhere) has
this problem too: Server 1 gets the request, decides to proxy/backhand it to
Server 2 and i get the output of /index.html ... but, if Server 1 decides to
serve the request from itself, i results in an 404-Error '/index.html not
found'.

Does anyone have an idea or can give me a hint how to solve this Problem or
how to tell mod_backhand to respect mod_rewrite-rules if served locally?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Andreas de Pretis