Mailing List Archive

Re: Porting mod_backhand to Compaq Alpha
Andre,

I have Cced the backhand developement list just in case anyone on it has a
Alpha system running Tru64 5.0 and is just itching to port it.

Andre Gerhard wrote:
> I have read your post in the mod_backhand mail list archive answering
> someone that wants to run mod_backhand in AIX.
> My problem is different, I would like to run mod_backhand in a
> Compaq Alpha machine (running OSF1/Tru64 Unix Version 5.0).
> Do you have any additional clues in how I could do this in an easy way ?
> I don't have experience in programming Unix systems at a lower level.

Well. The same rules apply. Referencing my handing history of unix chart, I
see that OSF/1 is a complete bastard :-) It appeasr to adopt evolve from both
BSD and AT&T. mod_backhand currently runs fine on Alpha/Linux, so there
should be no Endian or 64bit issues. It is simply figuring out how to fill
out the serverstats structure on Tru64. The compaq guys are usually pretty
avid when it comes to porting open source code to Tru64. You may be able to
convince one of the Tru64 systems coders to port it by mailing a message to a
Tru64 discussion list or calling them -- though it is a long shot.

You can always send me an Alpha running Tru64 and I will be more than happy to
port it ;-).

The only access I have to a OSF/1 machines is running an absolutely ancient
version of Digital Unix and they don't even have a working gcc running on it
:-(.

Again, you can work on porting it by adding the necessary code to platform.c
to get it to compile and fill out the serverstats structure with 0's until
someone fixes it piece by piece. At least it will run that way.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E 2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F