Mailing List Archive

mod_backhand 1.1.0 released.
Hello all,

mod_backhand 1.1.0 has just been released. This fixes a major bug as well as
a few quirks. If you found that mod_backhand just plain wouldn't work before,
this release is likely to have fixed the problem. Here is the excerpt from
the ChangeLog:

September 4th, 2000 (09.04.2000) -- mod_backhand -- 1.1.0
* Fixed uninitialized variable bug in back_util.c. The effects were that
trash values could be found in the server port of the advertised
service. This caused different mod_backhand instances to fail when
proxying. I could not reproduce this on my Linux machine. Many
thanks to Sean Chittenden for the time on his BSD boxes to debug the
problem.
* Fixed logic error when calculating byLoad with a bias. It did not
calculate biases as the FAQ implied. Thanks to Blake Millis.
* Changed the byAge candidacy function to never eliminate oneself. Under
high loads, the daemon process was often scheduled so infrequently
that the local server expired, rendering BackhandSelfRedirect On
ineffective.
* Changed two accidental snprintf's to ap_snprintf's for portability.

The unresolved TODO list is as follows:

o Implement load-weighted randomized request allocation.
o Make the proxying code more aggressive (with non-blocking I/O).
o Fix construction of headers in backhand_redirection to avoid possible
buffer overflow.
o Caching engine.
o Change all constants to #define's.
o Fix code so that is will compile using Sun's ProC compiler.

Many other features are currently being worked on, but did not make it into
this release. Most of my recent time has been spent working on the course
notes and presentation for the ApacheCon 2000 Europe. If you can make it to
London in October to participate in a great conference, we would love to see
you there. (www.apachecon.com)

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E 2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F