-sc

Plug for boa: single process + single threaded = fast. For static
files this is my preferred web server of choice (yeah, I know about khttpd
and phttpd, but this is pretty tried and true) and I'd love to be able to
use it in the rotation again.

--
Sean Chittenden
sean@carethere.com
Speaking of backend servers... [ In reply to ]
Sean Chittenden wrote:
> I'd really like to use boa as an image server but can't because I
> couldn't plug it into mod_backhand. I heard recently that there were plans
> to put backhand into a standalone server. Has there been any work on this
> to date? I haven't heard of anything so far.

Well, I like thttpd, so we all have our motiviation for this.. no? :)

I am working on this now... Taking as much of the source as possible
from the mod_backhand sources as possible (actually #include
"platform.c") so once architecture support for X is added to
mod_backhand it will be in this standalone server as well.

The seond part (that will be implemented later) is the API so that other
programs can *See* this info. The most important thing is the
broadcasting... It is almost done. I am just working on handling
sending packets to multiple IP multicast addresses with different TTL's.

It will be IN the mod_backhand source under a directory called mbcast
(that is what I have named the program). As soon as something compiles
and runs here, I will commit it to CVS for everyone to plan with.

They idea is that you can just run it as:
./mbcast -h HOSTNAME -i IPADDRESS -p PORT BCASTADDR:PORT [BCASTADDR:PORT
[..]]

It will collect info on this machine and broadast ti to all of the
addresses specified advertising itself as HOSTNAME at IP:PORT (-i -p)..
I will probably add a conf file at some point and it is already smart
(trying to figure out its hostname and IP)....

Should be ready any day now.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E 2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F