Mailing List Archive

Re: Mythmusic errors
On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:13:36AM -0800, singh wrote:
> Your comment about using fedora kernels with RH9 was enlightening. I
> did not realize that this was possible! Had I followed this path, life
> would have been considerably easier, as I would not have had to compile
> kernel modules. I don't understand how the various distributions differ
> understanding for why packages depend on distributions.

That is a good comment, for which the LSB tries to find a solution.

> In th mean time, I have rebuilt my system completely from scratch using
> Fedora. Again, mythmusic does not work -- when I insert a CD,
> mythfrontend hangs.
>
> Researching this problem on the web, it appears that RH9 and Fedora have
> a new threads system (npt), which causes mythmusic to hang. There were
> some solutions posted related to executing "export
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5/2.4.19" followed by "mythfrontend".
> Unfortunately, this did not work for me.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=105766;search_string=mythmusic%20fedora;guest=2331819&t=search_engine#105766
>
> There was also some discussion by the developers of rewriting the code
> to address this problem.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=107523;search_string=mythmusic%20fedora;guest=2331819&t=search_engine#107523
>
> So it looks like mythmusic will not work in FC1/RH9
> mythtv-suite-0.14-37.at, and we'll have to wait for a later release. I
> sent a note about this to Jarod Wilson.

The LD_ASSUME_KERNEL should have worked, but in any case you can try
the CVS rpms (at your own risk!) from mythtv, that contain the
mentioned patch:

http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/fc1/myth-cvs/

--
Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de