Mailing List Archive

Re: [mythtv-users] upgrade and now mythweb is broke
On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Larry Roberts <mythtv@american-hero.com>wrote:

> On 9/28/2013 5:24 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
>
>> On 09/28/2013 03:32 PM, Larry Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/28/2013 10:18 AM, Bill Meek wrote:

>>> 2013-09-28 16:27:20.884924 I [1944/4037] HttpServer104
>>> servicehost.cpp:281 (ProcessRequest) - ServiceHost::ProcessRequest:
>>> GetPreviewImage : GET
>>> /Content/GetPreviewImage?ChanId=6&StartTime=2010-09-24T03%3A00%3A00&Height=75&Width=100&
>>> HTTP/1.0
>>>

>> That nails it. mythweb is sending an invalid channel number and maybe
>> the wrong timestamp, although the format looks good. Sorry, I don't
>> speak Arch.
>>
>> You could check to see if this file matches mine (which is 0.27 and
>> working fine.)
>>
>> sum <yourMythwebDir>/modules/tv/classes/Program.php
>>
>> The proper result is: 18793 35 If it doesn't match, you've
>> got a bad version.
>>
>> That's just one example. There were over 40 commits to mythweb
>> in the 0.27 cycle.
>>
>> So to give the next person who may run into this what I did to fix the
> issue.
>
> First, find the 0.26 version of mythweb. I grabbed it from a dropbox
> location provided by someone in a previous email to the list. Sorry but I
> dont recall the original poster. I found it after some google-fu.
>
> remove mythweb but not any dependencies. for me that was rpm -e --nodeps
> mythweb iirc
> install the above file.
> When you go to the mythweb website you will get an error about the db
> version being newer. I dont recall the exact error but -MY- fix, which is
> of the brute force method was to edit the file in question and tell it to
> expect the newer version (4)
>
> vi /var/www/html/mythweb/includes/db_update.php
> define('WebDBSchemaVer', 4);
>
> Not elegant in any stretch and it could be breaking all kinds of other
> stuff behind the scenes but I have a now working system. Without a frontend
> I rely on mythweb to do my scheduling so it was worth the risk
>
> My plan is once 0.27 is out and built in Axels repo to upgrade to that.
>
> looking forward to 0.27 as I'm hearing its awesome. May even try a
> frontend if I can find a machine to install onto.

Same thing just happened to me. I was happily running 0.26 on CentOS when
I noticed that atrpms had posted a 0.26.1 patch release (would prefer to go
all the way to 0.27, but there are still issues with QT on CentOS I
presume). Since I had a bunch of other packages that needed to be upgraded,
I decided to kick off a round of updates. 'yum update mythtv' looked like
it ran successfully,and (shame on me) I didn't look closely to see what
actually happened, but about a day later I noticed that mythweb was
borked. I then realized that the update had pulled in a mix of
incompatible versions of myth components. All were 0.26.1 except for
mythweb, which was 0.27. This seems like an error in packaging to me. Why
would the update install incompatible versions of software? Mythweb 0.27
should not be selected and installed with other myth 0.26 components, it
seems to me. Anyway, I figured, no sweat, I'll just remove mythweb 0.27
and install mythweb 0.26.1. That was easy enough, but then I got the
version incompatibility error described above. While the work-around patch
to /var/www/html/mythweb/includes/db_update.php shown above worked, I was
uneasy about doing that since I had no idea what else may have been changed
in the database by mythweb 0.27. Consequently, I restored the database
from a backup copy and now everything seems to be OK.

Lessons learned: 1) Be sure to have backups, and take an additional backup
right before doing any software upgrade. I had to use a day old backup
which resulted in the loss of a few recordings. 2) When running yum
update, inspect the list of packages closely to be sure you are installing
the right versions of things. Because the list looked clean at a glance, I
accepted it and later found out I had a broken system.