Mailing List Archive

smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package
I've been having issues starting the frontend , when I noticed the smolt scripts doesn't
have the correct bang line

eg
/usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py
/usr/bin/python2.7
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

# smolt - Fedora hardware profiler

I looked at some of the other python scripts and they also seem to be wrong
the original source should be

#!/usr/bin/python

has Atrpms modified this?

Paul

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
Paul <mylists@wilsononline.id.au> says:
> I looked at some of the other python scripts and they also seem to
> be wrong the original source should be
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> has Atrpms modified this?

I've noticed the same thing. I build all my MythTV packages from the
SRPM and found that, after upgrading to CentOS 6 and then making some
unknown change, the the hashes were being chopped off the Python
scripts in the RPMs. I presume you're using Axel's binaries from the
ATrpms repo; if so, Axel, I'd appreciate letting us know what you do
to fix this on your buildslaves so I can do it on my side.

I have earlier RPMs I built after the CentOS 6 upgrade that do have
the hashes so it's not that.

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
On 10/09/12 15:57, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Paul <mylists@wilsononline.id.au> says:
>> I looked at some of the other python scripts and they also seem to
>> be wrong the original source should be
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/python
>>
>> has Atrpms modified this?
>
> I've noticed the same thing. I build all my MythTV packages from the
> SRPM and found that, after upgrading to CentOS 6 and then making some
> unknown change, the the hashes were being chopped off the Python
> scripts in the RPMs. I presume you're using Axel's binaries from the
> ATrpms repo; if so, Axel, I'd appreciate letting us know what you do
> to fix this on your buildslaves so I can do it on my side.
>
> I have earlier RPMs I built after the CentOS 6 upgrade that do have
> the hashes so it's not that.

When I edit a python script, now usually using gedit, the editor usually
wants to add the utf-8 line. I don't remember its wanting to drop the
hash, though.

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
So is Axel still maintaining this package as I don't see much activity on
the mailing these days

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
Hello anyone here...
sees tumble weed roll down the street...

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
On Fri 14/09/2012 3:18 PM, Paul wrote:
> Hello anyone here...
> sees tumble weed roll down the street...
>

> On Tue 11/09/2012 7:03 AM, Paul Wilson wrote:
>> So is Axel still maintaining this package as I don't see much activity on the mailing
>> these days
>>
>> On Sep 11, 2012 1:16 AM, "John Pilkington" <J.Pilk@tesco.net <mailto:J.Pilk@tesco.net>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/09/12 15:57, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>>
>> Paul <mylists@wilsononline.id.au <mailto:mylists@wilsononline.id.au>> says:
>>
>> I looked at some of the other python scripts and they also seem to
>> be wrong the original source should be
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/python
>>
>> has Atrpms modified this?
>>

>> I've noticed the same thing. I build all my MythTV packages from the
>> SRPM and found that, after upgrading to CentOS 6 and then making some
>> unknown change, the the hashes were being chopped off the Python
>> scripts in the RPMs. I presume you're using Axel's binaries from the
>> ATrpms repo; if so, Axel, I'd appreciate letting us know what you do
>> to fix this on your buildslaves so I can do it on my side.
>>
>> I have earlier RPMs I built after the CentOS 6 upgrade that do have
>> the hashes so it's not that.
>>

>> When I edit a python script, now usually using gedit, the editor usually wants to add
>> the utf-8 line. I don't remember its wanting to drop the hash, though.

Note I'm also seeing this in the other Python modules

eg
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/MythTV/__init__.py

so could we please have an update to fix these...

Paul

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
Paul <mylists@wilsononline.id.au> says:
> I've been having issues starting the frontend , when I noticed the
> smolt scripts doesn't have the correct bang line
>
> eg
> /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py
> /usr/bin/python2.7

I have identified the issue as within
atrpms-rpm-config-200-3. Specifically, I believe that the last line in
/usr/lib/rpm/atrpms/python_burninversion.sh, which replaces the
shebang line in Python scripts, is not adding #! at the start of the
rewritten binary path.

Reverting to atrpms-rpm-config-189-1
(<URL:ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/atrpms/f15-86_64/atrpms/stable/atrpms-rpm-config-189-1.noarch.rpm>)
resulted in correct python script handling. Presumably, 200-3 is
installed on Axel's buildslaves and is the cause of the flawed RPMs
the ATrpms repo is currently distributing.

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> | San Francisco

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
On Tue 18/09/2012 7:44 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Paul <mylists@wilsononline.id.au> says:
>> I've been having issues starting the frontend , when I noticed the
>> smolt scripts doesn't have the correct bang line
>>
>> eg
>> /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py
>> /usr/bin/python2.7
>
> I have identified the issue as within
> atrpms-rpm-config-200-3. Specifically, I believe that the last line in
> /usr/lib/rpm/atrpms/python_burninversion.sh, which replaces the
> shebang line in Python scripts, is not adding #! at the start of the
> rewritten binary path.
>
> Reverting to atrpms-rpm-config-189-1
> (<URL:ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/atrpms/f15-86_64/atrpms/stable/atrpms-rpm-config-189-1.noarch.rpm>)
> resulted in correct python script handling. Presumably, 200-3 is
> installed on Axel's buildslaves and is the cause of the flawed RPMs
> the ATrpms repo is currently distributing.

I think this error is the cause of my mythmetadatalookup failing
it apparently uses python bindings to work

Paul

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
On Tue 18/09/2012 7:44 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Paul <mylists@wilsononline.id.au> says:
>> I've been having issues starting the frontend , when I noticed the
>> smolt scripts doesn't have the correct bang line
>>
>> eg
>> /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py
>> /usr/bin/python2.7
>
> I have identified the issue as within
> atrpms-rpm-config-200-3. Specifically, I believe that the last line in
> /usr/lib/rpm/atrpms/python_burninversion.sh, which replaces the
> shebang line in Python scripts, is not adding #! at the start of the
> rewritten binary path.
>
> Reverting to atrpms-rpm-config-189-1
> (<URL:ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/atrpms/f15-86_64/atrpms/stable/atrpms-rpm-config-189-1.noarch.rpm>)
> resulted in correct python script handling. Presumably, 200-3 is
> installed on Axel's buildslaves and is the cause of the flawed RPMs
> the ATrpms repo is currently distributing.

YeeChang,
I didn't have this "atrpms-rpm-config" package installed on my box and F17 doesn't have
an older version so I installed atrpms-rpm-config-200-3.noarch

I tried a re-install of " python-MythTV-0.25.2-287.fc17.i686" but looks the same.

Paul

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
On 25/09/12 11:50, Paul wrote:
> On Tue 18/09/2012 7:44 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> Paul <mylists@wilsononline.id.au> says:
>>> I've been having issues starting the frontend , when I noticed the
>>> smolt scripts doesn't have the correct bang line
>>>
>>> eg
>>> /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py
>>> /usr/bin/python2.7
>>
>> I have identified the issue as within
>> atrpms-rpm-config-200-3. Specifically, I believe that the last line in
>> /usr/lib/rpm/atrpms/python_burninversion.sh, which replaces the
>> shebang line in Python scripts, is not adding #! at the start of the
>> rewritten binary path.
>>
>> Reverting to atrpms-rpm-config-189-1
>> (<URL:ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/atrpms/f15-86_64/atrpms/stable/atrpms-rpm-config-189-1.noarch.rpm>)
>>
>> resulted in correct python script handling. Presumably, 200-3 is
>> installed on Axel's buildslaves and is the cause of the flawed RPMs
>> the ATrpms repo is currently distributing.
>>

> YeeChang,
> I didn't have this "atrpms-rpm-config" package installed on my box and
> F17 doesn't have an older version so I installed
> atrpms-rpm-config-200-3.noarch
>
> I tried a re-install of " python-MythTV-0.25.2-287.fc17.i686" but looks
> the same.
>
> Paul

If you think you have a problem with a python script, and you think you
know what it is, you ought to be able to edit the script and try your
new version. No rebuild needed. Of course it would be nice if Axel
could do it, but I get the impression he needs to do other things.

Cheers,

John P

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
Paul <mylists@wilsononline.id.au> says:
> I didn't have this "atrpms-rpm-config" package installed on my box
> nd F17 doesn't have an older version so I installed
> atrpms-rpm-config-200-3.noarch

In the message you replied to
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/atrpms/users/16361#16361>)
I state that 1) 200-3 is the version of the package with the issue and
2) explain where to get an older version that works.

Regardless, something I did not do in that message is better explain
what the package does. It affects RPMs that are built on that
machine. It does not repair RPMs from elsewhere, in this case from
ATrpms' own machines, that arrive to users already broken because
atrpms-rpm-config-200-3.noarch is installed on them (meaning the
ATrpms machines). The MythTV RPMs (and, possibly, all others from
ATrpms that have Python scripts) are affected by this until Axel fixes
the issue within ATrpms.

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> | San Francisco

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
On 10/09/12 08:40, Paul wrote:
> I've been having issues starting the frontend , when I noticed the smolt
> scripts doesn't have the correct bang line
>
> eg
> /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py
> /usr/bin/python2.7
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>
> # smolt - Fedora hardware profiler
>
> I looked at some of the other python scripts and they also seem to be wrong
> the original source should be
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> has Atrpms modified this?
>
> Paul

I've just looked (for the first time) at the file you quote above. It's
in the mythtv-common package. Mine starts:

#!/usr/bin/env python2.7
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

# smolt - Fedora hardware profiler

and I haven't done any editing on it. That's from the F16 64-bit
0.25.2-287 build, (v0.25.2-72-g1ecdb90). I haven't looked at the el6
version yet, but I always check for changes in mythburn.py and haven't
noticed any there.

No obvious problems here. Strange.

John P

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
On 26/09/12 18:49, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 10/09/12 08:40, Paul wrote:
>> I've been having issues starting the frontend , when I noticed the smolt
>> scripts doesn't have the correct bang line
>>
>> eg
>> /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py
>> /usr/bin/python2.7
>> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>>
>> # smolt - Fedora hardware profiler
>>
>> I looked at some of the other python scripts and they also seem to be
>> wrong
>> the original source should be
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/python
>>
>> has Atrpms modified this?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> I've just looked (for the first time) at the file you quote above. It's
> in the mythtv-common package. Mine starts:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python2.7
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>
> # smolt - Fedora hardware profiler
>
> and I haven't done any editing on it. That's from the F16 64-bit
> 0.25.2-287 build, (v0.25.2-72-g1ecdb90). I haven't looked at the el6
> version yet, but I always check for changes in mythburn.py and haven't
> noticed any there.
>
> No obvious problems here. Strange.

The only difference in these lines in the el6 i686 package is that it
specifies python2.6 I use dl.atrpms.net

HTH

John P

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> says:
> I've just looked (for the first time) at the file you quote above. It's
> in the mythtv-common package. Mine starts:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python2.7
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

What does 'rpm -qi mythtv-common' say for Build Date and Install Date?
The problematic version of atrpms-rpm-config was built on 21 August
and presumably installed on ATrpms' buildslaves on or very son
afterwards, so would only affect MythTV RPMs built after then.

(I build all my MythTV RPMs at home. I only noticed the issue when it
appeared regarding packages built after 21 August, while earlier
packages from the same SRPM didn't exhibit the problem.)

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> | San Francisco

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
On 27/09/12 17:39, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> says:
>> I've just looked (for the first time) at the file you quote above. It's
>> in the mythtv-common package. Mine starts:
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/env python2.7
>> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>
> What does 'rpm -qi mythtv-common' say for Build Date and Install Date?
> The problematic version of atrpms-rpm-config was built on 21 August
> and presumably installed on ATrpms' buildslaves on or very son
> afterwards, so would only affect MythTV RPMs built after then.
>
> (I build all my MythTV RPMs at home. I only noticed the issue when it
> appeared regarding packages built after 21 August, while earlier
> packages from the same SRPM didn't exhibit the problem.)

rpm -qi mythtv-common
Name : mythtv-common
Version : 0.25.2
Release : 287.fc16
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Sun 26 Aug 2012 10:09:49 BST
Group : Applications/Multimedia
Size : 1544552
License : GPLv2
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Sat 04 Aug 2012 22:02:28 BST, Key ID
508ce5e666534c2b
Source RPM : mythtv-0.25.2-287.fc16.src.rpm
Build Date : Sat 04 Aug 2012 22:00:15 BST
Build Host : flocki.atrpms.net
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager : ATrpms <http://ATrpms.net/>
Vendor : ATrpms.net

All Axel's build-287 packages were built on 4 August. I probably
installed them on my el6 laptop soon afterwards, but stayed with
0.24-fixes on the F16 box until later.

I see Axel has been on line recently, but my newspaper reports rioting
in Athens. :-(

Re: smolt script syntax errors in mythtv package [ In reply to ]
Looks like the last MythTV packages have fixed this issue.
thanks
Paul