Fedor G Pikus (fpikus@gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net
http://wild-light.com

Re: mythweb-025 for Centos5 [ In reply to ]
Fedor Pikus <fpikus@gmail.com> says:
> I could not find php-MythTV for Centos 5. Is it available somewhere,
> or is mythweb-0.25 for Centos 5 a mistake?

Yes; I presume it was built because it requires no other MythTV
packages.

MythTV is impossible to compile for CentOS 5; 6 is required.

Re: mythweb-025 for Centos5 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:
> Fedor Pikus <fpikus@gmail.com> says:
>> I could not find php-MythTV for Centos 5. Is it available somewhere,
>> or is mythweb-0.25 for Centos 5 a mistake?
>
> Yes; I presume it was built because it requires no other MythTV
> packages.
>
> MythTV is impossible to compile for CentOS 5; 6 is required.

mythtv-0.24 is fine on Centos 5. There is also mythweb-0.24 package on
atrpms. But mythweb-0.25 is newer so it's what I get unless I force
the version.

Re: mythweb-025 for Centos5 [ In reply to ]
Fedor Pikus <fpikus@gmail.com> says:
> > MythTV is impossible to compile for CentOS 5; 6 is required.
>
> mythtv-0.24 is fine on Centos 5. There is also mythweb-0.24 package on
> atrpms.

Sorry; my mistake. By "MythTV" I meant 0.25 specifically.

Re: mythweb-025 for Centos5 [ In reply to ]
Yes, 0.25 is out, sadly. I wish I could upgrade to centos 6 with yum.

Re: mythweb-025 for Centos5 [ In reply to ]
Fedor Pikus <fpikus@gmail.com> says:
> Yes, 0.25 is out, sadly. I wish I could upgrade to centos 6 with yum.

Since yum isn't available for upgrades, the way I recently upgraded
two CentOS 5 systems was:

1) do a full backup just in case
2) identify enough free space on the drive for installing the root
partition of the new OS; this can be a LVM volume or not. 10GB is
the realistic minimum. The RHEL/CentOS installer can resize
ext3/ext4 LVM logical volumes and non-LVM partitions during
installation if needed, but anything more complicated with
partitioning should be done before installing.
3a) if preserving bootable access to the old system for the time being
is vital, identify more free space (cannot be in a LVM volume;
100MB minimum) for /boot for the new OS.
3b) if preserving bootable access to the old system is not vital,
reuse its /boot partition.
4) reuse the old /home partition/volume. Any swap partition can also
be reused.
5) install the OS. Choose the custom disk layout to use the above
partitioning choices and to tell the new OS which existing
partitions to mount/reuse.
6) if the old boot partition was saved, when the system is rebooted it
will still boot into the old OS. Add the following to
/boot/grub/grub.conf:

title CentOS 6
# the following should be the new OS's boot partition
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

The old GRUB will thus boot the new GRUB.
7) to copy over configuration files from the old OS, do the following
in the new OS:

mkdir /mnt/oldroot

then add the following to /etc/fstab:

/dev/oldrootpartitionname /mnt/oldroot ext3 defaults,noatime,ro 1 1

Re: mythweb-025 for Centos5 [ In reply to ]
On 8/29/2012 9:05 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Since yum isn't available for upgrades, the way I recently upgraded
> two CentOS 5 systems was:

During the last major version change (4 to 5), even through it was
officially "unsupported" I was able to just use the installer to do the
upgrade.

I would make a list of the running apps on a server. I would run the
CentOS 5 installer on a host and it would happily "upgrade" the host.

However, my next step would be to go through and manually check each
application since the upgrade may or may not have been handled
automatically. The installer would have backed up the old config files.
For new versions of applications I had to figure out how to get the new
ones running.

I have a CentOS 5 server I'm going to try this process on.