with the repo and excellent support on this list from both Axel and others
for several years now, and hope to continue using it. If this is a
short-term situation I'll just shut my mouth and bide my time until the
updates come along. But if it's more of a long-term situation I will be
forced to weigh other options.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
John,
Unfortunately ATrpms RPM builds are a one-man show. When Axel is otherwise
engaged, things come to a halt. Other users provide SRPM updates, etc, but
when Axel is busy, no RPM updates will take place.

To my knowledge, we've gotten nowhere with the shared build server idea
that was floated a while ago. It requires a lot of initial setup and since
Axel is strapped for time, I doubt it will happen any time soon.

/Brian/

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Brian. I guess the only unanswered question then is does anyone
know Axel's current status? Is he on vacation or is he otherwise engaged
(new / different job, etc.)? If it's the latter then we can probably
expect little to no updates for a while. Again, not a complaint. I know
Axel does this in his spare / "free" time and has always done a wonderful
job keeping things up to date. I just can't remember an unannounced "dead
period" like this since I've been using the repo.

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM, John Welch <jrw3319@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Brian. I guess the only unanswered question then is does anyone
> know Axel's current status? Is he on vacation or is he otherwise engaged
> (new / different job, etc.)? If it's the latter then we can probably
> expect little to no updates for a while. Again, not a complaint. I know
> Axel does this in his spare / "free" time and has always done a wonderful
> job keeping things up to date. I just can't remember an unannounced "dead
> period" like this since I've been using the repo.

Axel lives in Greece, which is passing for some deep economic problems...

I have the new kernels for rhel6, if anyone is interested ...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ
Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On 23/06/12 06:26, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM, John Welch <jrw3319@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Brian. I guess the only unanswered question then is does anyone know Axel's current status? Is he on vacation or is he otherwise engaged (new / different job, etc.)? If it's the latter then we can probably expect little to no updates for a while. Again, not a complaint. I know Axel does this in his spare / "free" time and has always done a wonderful job keeping things up to date. I just can't remember an unannounced "dead period" like this since I've been using the repo.

Axel lives in Greece, which is passing for some deep economic problems...

I have the new kernels for rhel6, if anyone is interested ...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Hello Paulo,

I am running centos 6.2 64 bit , so I would be very much interested in the kernel modules for Nvidia, kernel.x86_64 0:2.6.32-220.23.1.el6 . I have tried building the rpm myself , but I kept getting errors such as :

RPM build errors:
Bad exit status from /root/redhat/tmp/rpm-tmp.FcBp7G (%install)

I have fakeroot and the macros rpm installed and have the bkmdl.sh as well as the bashrc aliases , but It is not working for me .

Best Regards

Milorad
Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]

http://orion.lcg.ufrj.br/RPMS/myrpms-el6-x86_64/kernel/

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
DCC - UFRJ
Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM, O&M Ugarcina <mo.ucina@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Axel lives in Greece, which is passing for some deep economic problems...
>>>
>>> I have the new kernels for rhel6, if anyone is interested ...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
>>> LCG - UFRJ

>>> Hello Paulo,
>>>
>>> I am running centos 6.2 64 bit , so I would be very much interested in
>>> the kernel modules for Nvidia, kernel.x86_64 0:2.6.32-220.23.1.el6 . I have
>>> tried building the rpm myself , but I kept getting errors such as :
>>>
>>> RPM build errors:
>>>     Bad exit status from /root/redhat/tmp/rpm-tmp.FcBp7G (%install)
>>>
>>> I have fakeroot and the macros rpm installed and have the bkmdl.sh as
>>> well as the bashrc aliases , but It is not working for me .
>>>

>> Your have to use fakeroot 1.11 ...
>>
>> I will post the link for the modules I built
>> for rhel 6.2 and 6.3
>>

> http://orion.lcg.ufrj.br/RPMS/myrpms-el6-x86_64/kernel/
>
> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> DCC - UFRJ

Paulo:

Could you post your steps and environment to build? I'm on FC17 and
want to get the latest kernel but can't without a rebuilt nvidia
driver.

Thanks,

George

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM, George Galt <george.galt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Your have to use fakeroot 1.11 ...
>>>
>>> I will post the link for the modules I built
>>> for rhel 6.2 and 6.3
>>>

>> http://orion.lcg.ufrj.br/RPMS/myrpms-el6-x86_64/kernel/
>>
>> --
>> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
>> DCC - UFRJ

> Paulo:
>
> Could you post your steps and environment to build?  I'm on FC17 and
> want to get the latest kernel but can't without a rebuilt nvidia
> driver.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George

Paulo:

Never mind. I found your instructions at
http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/LCG_kernel_modules.html, which
I'll follow. I may ping you if I run into difficulties.

Thanks,

George

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On 26/06/12 20:32, George Galt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM, George Galt <george.galt@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> http://orion.lcg.ufrj.br/RPMS/myrpms-el6-x86_64/kernel/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
>>> DCC - UFRJ

>> Paulo:
>>
>> Could you post your steps and environment to build? I'm on FC17 and
>> want to get the latest kernel but can't without a rebuilt nvidia
>> driver.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> George
>
> Paulo:
>
> Never mind. I found your instructions at
> http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/LCG_kernel_modules.html, which
> I'll follow. I may ping you if I run into difficulties.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George

It might be easier to look at the repo:

http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm

http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm

and to thank Axel again!

There isn't a full set, but these should get you in business.

John P

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:

> On 26/06/12 20:32, George Galt wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM, George Galt <george.galt@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Paulo:
>>>
>>> Could you post your steps and environment to build? I'm on FC17 and
>>> want to get the latest kernel but can't without a rebuilt nvidia
>>> driver.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> George
>>>

>> Paulo:
>>
>> Never mind. I found your instructions at
>> http://people.atrpms.net/~**pcavalcanti/LCG_kernel_**modules.html<http://people.atrpms.net/%7Epcavalcanti/LCG_kernel_modules.html>,
>> which
>> I'll follow. I may ping you if I run into difficulties.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> George
>>

> It might be easier to look at the repo:
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_**64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-**
> graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.**fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.**rpm<http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm>
>

> http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_**64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-**
> graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.**fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.**rpm<http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm>
>
> and to thank Axel again!
>
> There isn't a full set, but these should get you in business.
>
> John P

But this set has the problem of requiring modutils >= 2.4.14,
which was obsoleted by kmod.

Trying to force the installation module-init-tools brings a lot of
inconsistencies
to the system...

kmod seems to only have suppressed /sbin/weak-modules
and added /usr/bin/kmod.

Axel, is it possible to change the dependencies into the kmdls?

Thanks.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
DCC - UFRJ
Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On 27/06/12 12:30, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk@tesco.net>> wrote:

<snip>

> It might be easier to look at the repo:
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86___64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.__rpm
> <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm>
>

> http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86___64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.__rpm
> <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm>
>
> and to thank Axel again!
>
> There isn't a full set, but these should get you in business.
>
> John P
>

> But this set has the problem of requiring modutils >= 2.4.14,
> which was obsoleted by kmod.
>
> Trying to force the installation module-init-tools brings a lot of
> inconsistencies
> to the system...
>
> kmod seems to only have suppressed /sbin/weak-modules
> and added /usr/bin/kmod.
>
> Axel, is it possible to change the dependencies into the kmdls?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> DCC - UFRJ

Pity about that. I'm using the repo version of 295.59 in f16.x86_64
without seeing problems. Not using VDPAU. Haven't tried 302.17 yet.

John P

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:

> On 27/06/12 12:30, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net
>> <mailto:J.Pilk@tesco.net>> wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>

>> It might be easier to look at the repo:
>>
>> http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86__**_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__**
>> graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__**fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.__**rpm<http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86___64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.__rpm>
>> <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_**64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-**
>> graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.**fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.**rpm<http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm>
>> >

>> http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86__**_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__**
>> graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__**fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.__**rpm<http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86___64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.__rpm>
>>
>> <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_**64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-**
>> graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.**fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.**rpm<http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm>
>> >

>> and to thank Axel again!
>>
>> There isn't a full set, but these should get you in business.
>>
>> John P
>>

>> But this set has the problem of requiring modutils >= 2.4.14,
>> which was obsoleted by kmod.
>>
>> Trying to force the installation module-init-tools brings a lot of
>> inconsistencies
>> to the system...
>>
>> kmod seems to only have suppressed /sbin/weak-modules
>> and added /usr/bin/kmod.
>>
>> Axel, is it possible to change the dependencies into the kmdls?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
>> DCC - UFRJ
>>

> Pity about that. I'm using the repo version of 295.59 in f16.x86_64
> without seeing problems. Not using VDPAU. Haven't tried 302.17 yet.

Yes, this on F17 ...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
DCC - UFRJ
Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
Yes there must be a way to prevent loading new Nvidia versions if kmdl is
not present,
Yesterday I attempted to upgrade a friends Fedora but found after the
upgrade the kmod is not available for this kernel so I'm stuck as its an
upgrade I can't fallback to old kernel.

In the end I had to disable the nvidia graphics and use the novena drivers
, not ideal but I had no other choice.

So can the kmdl yum script check if available and force a error or perhaps
if there is some other script I can check kmdl BEFORE I upgrade kernel.

thanks
Paul
Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
Paul, you should never upgrade (rpm -U) the kernel. Should you always
install (rpm -i) it. Yum knows this and it should have installed the
updated kernel alongside the currently-running one. This allows you to
fall back to a known-working kernel should your update fail.

Are you sure the old kernel is gone? You should be able to edit grub.conf
and tell it to boot the previous kernel where the nvidia kmod still exists.

rpm -q kernel should list two or three kernels on a default Fedora install
(once you've performed updates a few times).

/Brian/

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On 27/06/12 16:08, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk@tesco.net>> wrote:
>
> On 27/06/12 12:30, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM, John Pilkington
> <J.Pilk@tesco.net <mailto:J.Pilk@tesco.net>
> <mailto:J.Pilk@tesco.net <mailto:J.Pilk@tesco.net>>> wrote:
>

> <snip>
>

> It might be easier to look at the repo:
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_____64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-____graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.____fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.____rpm
> <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86___64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.__rpm>
>
> <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86___64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.__rpm <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics302.17-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-302.17-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm>>
>

> http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_____64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-____graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.____fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.____rpm
> <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86___64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.__rpm>
>

> <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86___64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-__graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.__fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.__rpm <http://dl.atrpms.net/f17-x86_64/atrpms/stable/nvidia-graphics295.59-kmdl-3.4.3-1.fc17-295.59-146.fc17.x86_64.rpm>>
>
> and to thank Axel again!
>
> There isn't a full set, but these should get you in business.
>
> John P
>

> But this set has the problem of requiring modutils >= 2.4.14,
> which was obsoleted by kmod.
>
> Trying to force the installation module-init-tools brings a lot of
> inconsistencies
> to the system...
>
> kmod seems to only have suppressed /sbin/weak-modules
> and added /usr/bin/kmod.
>
> Axel, is it possible to change the dependencies into the kmdls?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> DCC - UFRJ
>

> Pity about that. I'm using the repo version of 295.59 in f16.x86_64
> without seeing problems. Not using VDPAU. Haven't tried 302.17 yet.
>

> Yes, this on F17 ...
>
> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> DCC - UFRJ

I tried the repo version of nvidia 302.17 as well, and playback was
fine; but I've reverted to f16 kernel 3.3.7-1 and nvidia 295.49 after
missing a batch of simultaneous mythtv recordings. There have been big
updates of KDE and mysql and I have been experimenting with dual-head
screens - provoking segfaults on exit from frontend and/or mythvsetup -
so I'm not clear what the real problem is. With the new kernel,
mythtvsetup couldn't see any of my tuners, although they did appear in
dmesg and some recordings were made. All rather strange; I think I'll
retreat for a bit. Myth build 0.24.3-283.

John P

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On Thu 28/06/2012 9:48 PM, Brian Long wrote:
> Paul, you should never upgrade (rpm -U) the kernel. Should you always install (rpm -i)
> it. Yum knows this and it should have installed the updated kernel alongside the
> currently-running one. This allows you to fall back to a known-working kernel should your
> update fail.
>
> Are you sure the old kernel is gone? You should be able to edit grub.conf and tell it to
> boot the previous kernel where the nvidia kmod still exists.
>
> rpm -q kernel should list two or three kernels on a default Fedora install (once you've
> performed updates a few times).
>
> /Brian/
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Paul Wilson <mylists@wilsononline.id.au
> <mailto:mylists@wilsononline.id.au>> wrote:
>
> Yes there must be a way to prevent loading new Nvidia versions if kmdl is not present,
> Yesterday I attempted to upgrade a friends Fedora but found after the upgrade the kmod
> is not available for this kernel so I'm stuck as its an upgrade I can't fallback to
> old kernel.
>
> In the end I had to disable the nvidia graphics and use the novena drivers , not ideal
> but I had no other choice.
>
> So can the kmdl yum script check if available and force a error or perhaps if there is
> some other script I can check kmdl BEFORE I upgrade kernel.
>
> thanks
> Paul

Bob,
thanks but I didn't make it clear I was upgrading from F13 to F15 so I couldn't really

Paul

Re: ATrpms Status Update? [ In reply to ]
On 28/06/12 13:43, John Pilkington wrote:
> [...]
>> without seeing problems. Not using VDPAU. Haven't tried 302.17 yet.
>>

>> Yes, this on F17 ...
>>
>> --
>> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
>> DCC - UFRJ
>>

> I tried the repo version of nvidia 302.17 as well, and playback was
> fine; but I've reverted to f16 kernel 3.3.7-1 and nvidia 295.49 after
> missing a batch of simultaneous mythtv recordings. There have been big
> updates of KDE and mysql and I have been experimenting with dual-head
> screens - provoking segfaults on exit from frontend and/or mythvsetup -
> so I'm not clear what the real problem is. With the new kernel,
> mythtvsetup couldn't see any of my tuners, although they did appear in
> dmesg and some recordings were made. All rather strange; I think I'll
> retreat for a bit. Myth build 0.24.3-283.

I suppose this might be happening because I don't yet have a v4l kmdl
for the new kernel. I'll install one if it becomes available, and try
again. Until then the reversion to 3.3.7-1 still looks ok. I do have
v4l installed for that, but ISTR that it worked without.

John P