Mailing List Archive

Custom Fedora CDs with bootsplash
Hi Pavel.

>>Building i386 bootdisk.img
>>cp: writing `/tmp/makebootdisk.tree.9911/vmlinuz': No space left on device
>>192000 pixels, 6717 bytes, (93.00% compression)
>>cp: writing `/tmp/makebootdisk.tree.9911/splash.lss': No space left on device
>>sed: Couldn't flush stdout: No space left on device
>>/files/work/backUP/Panama/buildinstall.tree.3241/mk-images: Failed to copy messages from /tmp/treedir.3260/instimage/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/boot/ to
>>/tmp/makebootdisk.tree.9911.

Do you have a seperate /tmp ?

If so, it's probably full.

If you run the buildinstall script many times you'll notice that it
doesn't always clean up after itself so remove all the directories and
files it's created. If you look you'll notice which ones they are.

Or unmount /tmp and don't have it seperate.

anaconda always builds in /tmp.

>>I'm a bit confused becouse I have much of free space on my hd. So I
>>want to ask may be you have an expiriense of creating Fedora costume
>>distro based on your kernel packages?

Look above.

> No, I personally haven't created custom distributions or CDs based on
> Fedora, but Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@stesmi.com> has done so. You
> can join atrpms-devel (Cced, you can subscribe at lists.atrpms.net).

That's me.

> About the error message: I believe it means the space on the
> bootdisk.img floppy image. I suggest to not add a bootsplash to the
> -BOOT kernel to avoid it growing too large, or you can hack anaconda
> to use different kernels for the CD boot vs the floppy boot.

I don't think that's the case. Look above.

It's when vmlinuz is copied, not when mk*fs is run.

// Stefan
Custom Fedora CDs with bootsplash [ In reply to ]
Hi Stefan.

No I have /tmp dirictory in my hda1, and there about 3 gigs of free space.

So, did you create Fedora costume distro using kernel from ATRpms? What kernel packages did you put in your distribution's RPMS dirictory?

----- ???????? ????????? -----
??: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@stesmi.com>
????: Re: [ATrpms-devel] Custom Fedora CDs with bootsplash

--
{00} Peace, Pavel Ivanov
/ \/ \ E-mail: pi@mail.by
Custom Fedora CDs with bootsplash [ In reply to ]
Hi Pavel.

> No I have /tmp dirictory in my hda1, and there about 3 gigs of free space.

Hmmmm. Run it and on a diffferent console run a "watch -n5 'df -hs'"
and check how your free space runs. Either you're running out of
space or you're running out of inodes. What filesystem is this?

> So, did you create Fedora costume distro using kernel from ATRpms?
> What kernel packages did you put in your distribution's RPMS
> directory?

Well, yeah. I build a DVD (and in the future CDs) based on Fedora Core.

The latest released version is 0.1 that has a lot of goodies.

I'm also brewing an x86-64 version of it but I can't get past a hurdle.

The DVD that's in testing (coming on rsn) has FC1+XFS support+MythTV+
some drivers (alsa, various tv cards, lm_sensors) and all dependencies
like MPlayer, etc. Seems to work quite ok on i386.

I don't have RPMs for x86-64 yet of course.

I based my work on a pre-fc2 installer from 2004 01 14.

Could I ask you to follow internet standard and reply BELOW instead
of ABOVE? It's difficult to know what's an answer to what sometimes.

The kernel I used is from ATrpms as is almost everything else.

// Stefan
Custom Fedora CDs with bootsplash [ In reply to ]
----- ???????? ????????? -----
??: Stefan Smietanowski <stesmi@stesmi.com>
????: Re: [ATrpms-devel] Custom Fedora CDs with bootsplash

>Hi Pavel.
>
>> No I have /tmp dirictory in my hda1, and there about 3 gigs of free space.
>
>Hmmmm. Run it and on a diffferent console run a "watch -n5 'df -hs'"
>and check how your free space runs. Either you're running out of
>space or you're running out of inodes. What filesystem is this?

It was too fast but as I understood /tmp/makebootdisk.tree.xxxx is a filesystem with 1,4 Mb of space and it was realy full.

>> So, did you create Fedora costume distro using kernel from ATRpms?
> > What kernel packages did you put in your distribution's RPMS
> > directory?
>

>Could I ask you to follow internet standard and reply BELOW instead
>of ABOVE? It's difficult to know what's an answer to what sometimes.

sure :-)

>The kernel I used is from ATrpms as is almost everything else.

Hmmm. I was going through buildinstall process with native Fedora kernels many times and everything was ok.. it is first time I see errors like that. So I
think problem is in kernel-BOOT from ATrpms.
I just tried to remove kernel-BOOT with kernel-BOOT from Fedora 1 and buildinstall passed successfully.

--
{00} Peace, Pavel Ivanov
/ \/ \ E-mail: pi@mail.by
Re: Custom Fedora CDs with bootsplash [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:38:53PM +0200, Pavel Ivanov wrote:
> >The kernel I used is from ATrpms as is almost everything else.
>
> Hmmm. I was going through buildinstall process with native Fedora
> kernels many times and everything was ok.. it is first time I see
> errors like that. So I think problem is in kernel-BOOT from ATrpms.
> I just tried to remove kernel-BOOT with kernel-BOOT from Fedora 1
> and buildinstall passed successfully.

Maybe the kernel-BOOT from ATrpms is too large (compared to FC1)?
Since it is only the BOOT kernel for anaconda it probably only needs
XFS patched it. But this is also the largest patch.
--
Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de