those techniques for use in another RPM without reinventing the wheel.
Thanks!

/Brian/
Re: Build scripts? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 10:32 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> I was wondering if the build scripts used to pull mythtv from git and
> modify the mythtv.spec file are available on atrpms.net. I was hoping
> to adapt those techniques for use in another RPM without reinventing
> the wheel. Thanks!

The "scripts" to do this aren't that complicated, the part of modifying
the spec file is a "script" called Axel ;)
(more seriously it turns out that there are necessary changes almost on
every master rebuild as the configure options and the set of produced
files change)
The script to pull the sources from git is just git pull/git checkout -v
master and tar --exclude=.git -jpxf file.tar.bz2 dir. If you don't care
about src.rpm file size you don't even need to bother with the .git
exclusion.
--
http://thimm.gr/ - http://ATrpms.net/
Re: Build scripts? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@atrpms.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 10:32 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> > I was wondering if the build scripts used to pull mythtv from git and
> > modify the mythtv.spec file are available on atrpms.net. I was hoping
> > to adapt those techniques for use in another RPM without reinventing
> > the wheel. Thanks!
>
> The "scripts" to do this aren't that complicated, the part of modifying
> the spec file is a "script" called Axel ;)
> (more seriously it turns out that there are necessary changes almost on
> every master rebuild as the configure options and the set of produced
> files change)
> The script to pull the sources from git is just git pull/git checkout -v
> master and tar --exclude=.git -jpxf file.tar.bz2 dir. If you don't care
> about src.rpm file size you don't even need to bother with the .git
> exclusion.

I was looking at this site and wondered if you were doing something similar
outside the spec file:
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org/en/Rpmbuild_and_git#Packaging_directly_from_git

/Brian/
Re: Build scripts? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 09:52 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@atrpms.net>
> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 10:32 -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> > I was wondering if the build scripts used to pull mythtv
> from git and
> > modify the mythtv.spec file are available on atrpms.net. I
> was hoping
> > to adapt those techniques for use in another RPM without
> reinventing
> > the wheel. Thanks!
>

> The "scripts" to do this aren't that complicated, the part of
> modifying
> the spec file is a "script" called Axel ;)
> (more seriously it turns out that there are necessary changes
> almost on
> every master rebuild as the configure options and the set of
> produced
> files change)
> The script to pull the sources from git is just git pull/git
> checkout -v
> master and tar --exclude=.git -jpxf file.tar.bz2 dir. If you
> don't care
> about src.rpm file size you don't even need to bother with
> the .git
> exclusion.
>
> I was looking at this site and wondered if you were doing something
> similar outside the spec file:
> http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org/en/Rpmbuild_and_git#Packaging_directly_from_git

This specfile is a high tech get-from-git and
commit-to-a-private-git-with-specfile-addons tool. There have often been
shortcuts fold into specfiles to automatically fetch cvs/svn/git bits as
part of the build process, but I am not a fan for several reasons. First
of all source code management and packaging are different processes
headed by different people groups often with different SCM tools. Next
and most importantly you loose reproducability if the sources are
freshly fetched during the rpm's construction instead of being handled
like external static inputs.

If you like automating things (who doesn't ;) I suggest to do the code
fetching/management outside the specfile in a shell script and have the
same shell script launch the rpmbuild.
--
http://thimm.gr/ - http://ATrpms.net/