webpage with the link to the boiler IP address and port forwarded this.

I can access the Apache web server when internally on the LAN and use the
boiler control page, however I can't get the boiler control page to display
when accessing the webssever from an external IP. I can access the
webssever externally but when I click on the boiler link it tells me that
it cannot be found.

I can also successfully ping the boiler IP address from the raspberry pi.

Is there something I am missing ?
Re: Server won't direct to Internal IP address [ In reply to ]
That error isn't helpful - show the full and unredacted error. Also, a ping
isn't a useful test.

Re: Server won't direct to Internal IP address [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 7:51 PM jason kerr <jjakerr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a wood pellet boiler that is connected via ethernet cable to my home router. I can access the boiler to perform various functions whilst on the local LAN but not externally. There is no way to password protect this page so I didn't want to forward the ports and make it available for everyone. The internal IP address of this is 192.168.1.194
>
> To get around this I bought a raspberry pi and installed Apache on it. The IP address of this is 192.168.1.168. I created a simple password protected webpage with the link to the boiler IP address and port forwarded this.

Sounds like Apache as a proxy is called for here, not a link and a 2nd
port forwarded directly to the boiler.

Re: Server won't direct to Internal IP address [ In reply to ]
On Friday 06 January 2023 at 01:51:13, jason kerr wrote:

> I can access the Apache web server when internally on the LAN and use the
> boiler control page, however I can't get the boiler control page to display
> when accessing the webssever from an external IP. I can access the
> webssever externally but when I click on the boiler link it tells me that
> it cannot be found.

1. What *is* that boiler link - when you hover on it, what URL is shown?

2. What, exactly, does the browser say after clicking on it?

> I can also successfully ping the boiler IP address from the raspberry pi.
>
> Is there something I am missing ?

Probaby a reverse proxy.

Antony.

--
Ich habe gerade ein Bier getrunken.
Jetzt habe ich kein Bock mehr :(

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Re: Server won't direct to Internal IP address [ In reply to ]
The full message is.

This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.194 took too long to respond. Try: Checking the connection
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Re: Server won't direct to Internal IP address [ In reply to ]
On Friday 06 January 2023 at 11:05:42, jason kerr wrote:

> The full message is.
>
> This site can’t be reached
> 192.168.1.194 took too long to respond.

So, that tells you that the *Raspberry Pi* is not trying to connect to the
boiler on behalf of the browser, but is simply telling the browser to connect
to the boiler itself. In other words, the Pi is not doing anything useful in
this setup.

As others have already suggested, you should look up how to configure Apache as
a reverse proxy, so that http://192.168.1.168/somepath ends up connecting
*from the Pi* to http://192.168.1.194 and then returning the response to the
browser.

Antony.

--
"Hi, I've found a fault with the English language and I need an entomologist."
"I think you mean an etymologist."

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Re: Server won't direct to Internal IP address [ In reply to ]
On 06/01/2023 11:14, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Friday 06 January 2023 at 11:05:42, jason kerr wrote:
>
>> The full message is.
>>
>> This site can’t be reached
>> 192.168.1.194 took too long to respond.
>
> So, that tells you that the *Raspberry Pi* is not trying to connect to the
> boiler on behalf of the browser, but is simply telling the browser to connect
> to the boiler itself. In other words, the Pi is not doing anything useful in
> this setup.

So, it's a feature! Sorry, I'couldn't resist.

Re: Server won't direct to Internal IP address [ In reply to ]
On 06/01/2023 10:05, jason kerr wrote:
> The full message is.
>
> This site can’t be reached
> 192.168.1.194 took too long to respond. Try: Checking the connection
> ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
>
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2023, 00:58 Frank Gingras, <thumbs@apache.org
> <mailto:thumbs@apache.org>> wrote:
>
> That error isn't helpful - show the full and unredacted error.
> Also, a ping isn't a useful test.
>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 7:51 PM jason kerr <jjakerr@gmail.com
> <mailto:jjakerr@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I have a wood pellet boiler that is connected via ethernet
> cable to my home router. I can access the boiler to perform
> various functions whilst on the local LAN but not externally.
> There is no way to password protect this page so I didn't want
> to forward the ports and make it available for everyone. The
> internal IP address of this is 192.168.1.194
>
> To get around this I bought a raspberry pi and installed
> Apache on it. The IP address of this is 192.168.1.168. I
> created a simple password protected webpage with the link to
> the boiler IP address and port forwarded this.Â
>
> I can access the Apache web server when internally on the LAN
> and use the boiler control page, however I can't get the
> boiler control page to display when accessing the webssever
> from an external IP. I can access the webssever externally but
> when I click on the boiler link it tells me that it cannot be
> found.
>
> I can also successfully ping the boiler IP address from the
> raspberry pi.
>
> Is there something I am missing ?

Have you checked if the site is enabled? I don't know what Raspberry
Pi's OS is but if it is using some form of Debian or CentOS distros then
try something like this:

# apache2ctl -S
# apachectl -S
OR
# httpd -S

Re: Re: Server won't direct to Internal IP address [ In reply to ]
Why not set up a secure shell tunnel from the device you're using when
outside the LAN into the RasPi and tunnel to 192.168.1.194 on whatever
port you need.
Then connect to 127.0.0.1:{tunnel_port} on the device.
I do this with PuTTY all the time so I can use a single port forward and
have public key authentication to get to things on the LAN in a more
secure way.