Mailing List Archive

Invalid command 'AuthDigestFile'
Greetings. I have searched the archives and the faq but I couldn't find much
about this issue. I am using Apache 1.3.22 on Red Hat Linux 7.1.

I want to setup MD5 authentication.

My error log contains:

/websites/intranet/html/.htaccess: Invalid command 'AuthDigestFile', perhaps
mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

My httpd.conf contains:

LoadModule digest_module modules/mod_digest.so
AddModule mod_digest.c

/websites/intranet/html/.htaccess contains:
AuthName "Sales"
AuthType Digest
AuthDigestFile /etc/httpd/conf/.htdigest
require valid-user

A partial listing of /etc/httpd/conf
# ls
total 188
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 47 Feb 26 13:12 .htdigest
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35416 Feb 26 13:40 httpd.conf

I am guessing that there is something wrong with mod_digest but I don't know
what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mitchell K. Smith
A+,MCP
Information Systems Manager
ePlus Technology of PA
130 Futura Drive
Pottstown, PA 19464
610-495-7800 ext. 264
mksmith@pa.eplus.com

RE: Invalid command 'AuthDigestFile' [ In reply to ]
> From: Mitchell K. Smith [mailto:mksmith@pa.eplus.com]

> /websites/intranet/html/.htaccess: Invalid command
> 'AuthDigestFile', perhaps
> mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
> configuration
>
> My httpd.conf contains:
>
> LoadModule digest_module modules/mod_digest.so
> AddModule mod_digest.c

I don't know what exactly is causing this problem, but I can tell you that
you are wasting your time with mod_digest. As the documentation says, this
module is obsolete. Try mod_auth_digest instead.

Joshua.

RE: Invalid command 'AuthDigestFile' [ In reply to ]
Joshua,
Thanks for the tip.
I still need some serious help though. (My inexperience is showing)

I added the new digest module like this:

httpd.conf
LoadModule digest_auth_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
AddModule mod_auth_digest.c

Also remmed out the mod_digest

Now I get:

Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 150 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_auth_digest.so into server:
/etc/httpd/modules/mod_auth_digest.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

I copied mod_auth_digest.c into /usr/lib/apache

I guess I need to compile something to get the .so file?

RE: Invalid command 'AuthDigestFile' [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Mitchell K. Smith wrote:
> I copied mod_auth_digest.c into /usr/lib/apache
>
> I guess I need to compile something to get the .so file?

Yes. Go back to the original instructions you used to compile apache and
they will tell you how to add optional modules. If you didn't compile
apache yourself, then either ask the people who did, or try it yourself
now.

Joshua.