Hi friends

I have a lan connection. Out of which one is
running a httpd apache server daemon. But when i give the IP address of
that machine which is running the daemon,from some other machine on lan ,
i cant see the home page.

Instead i get the error message
" Server not accepting connections" .

Pleasec help me ..........

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
Hi,

first try to connect from localhost
Is it working from there?

Smash CZ

_____
http://messenger.msn.com

users-help@httpd.apache.org

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
No i am not using any firewall.

I am getting pop up window on my netscape browser saying

" Cannot connect to server , Server is busy or not
accepting connections, try sometime later".

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
amit khatri wrote:

> No i am not using any firewall.
>
> I am getting pop up window on my netscape browser saying
>
> " Cannot connect to server , Server is busy or not
> accepting connections, try sometime later".

I doubt your server is running. What OS do you have? If linux/unix, do:

$ ps -ef | grep httpd

and you should see a few httpd processes. If not, your server is not
running.

Then try to start it again (apachectl start) and check the tail of the
error_log file to see what it says.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
Yes i am using Linux ,

i have tried the "ps " command and it shows the process id's.( that means
that the server is running).

The error log file does not say any specific, because i have to view home
page of the server through the browser on the client side.

cheer

Amit Khatri

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
amit khatri wrote:

> Yes i am using Linux ,
>
> i have tried the "ps " command and it shows the process id's.( that means
> that the server is running).
>
> The error log file does not say any specific, because i have to view home
> page of the server through the browser on the client side.

OK. Now try command-line access to the server using telnet. Your session
should look like this:

$ telnet <hostname> 80
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to hostname.
Escape character is '^]'.

- you type in:

GET / HTTP/1.0

- then type <return><return> and see what comes back (you should get an
HTTP header followed by the default HTML page).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

RE: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
Check your httpd.conf file and make sure that server is listening on the
port 80 or a different port. if the port is not 80 then you will have to
give the port on the address bar as well. Something like
http://yourserver:serverport

HTH
Thanks.

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
hi
I have tried the telnet, and it is not connecting to the server.

The message is : " unable to connect".

What should i do now

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
amit khatri wrote:

> hi
> I have tried the telnet, and it is not connecting to the server.
>
> The message is : " unable to connect".

Do you know for a fact that the network connection is working on your
server? Do any other services work such as SMTP, DNS, FTP, telnet (port
23)? Can you ping the machine?

RE: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
on the server, try "netstat -na | grep LISTEN" and see if port 80 is
listening.

also try "lsof -i tcp | grep httpd" you may not have the lsof program on
your machine.

these will at least tell you if your server has open TCP ports.

you might also "ping" the server from a client and see if you can get there
from here

RE: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
I have tried the given command "lsof -i tcp | grep httpd" .

One of the output was:

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

tcp 0 0 10.0.0.61:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

"10.0.0.61" is IP address of my eth0 card.

Does it mean that my port 80 is working.

I have tried ping from client side , and it is working .

But telnet is not.

cheers

Amit Khatri

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
I have just connected two pc's using lan cards.
One is a client and other is server.
The server is running an httpd daemon (apache).

I have configured the httpd.conf file , with some of main directives as
follows:

ServerType standalone

ServerName localhost

Listen 80

My ethernet card has ip address 10.0.0.61

When i type the following line ON THE SERVER ITSELF

"http://10.0.0.61/"

in the netscape navigator i view the default home page saved in directory
/var/www/html.

But when i try the line "http://10.0.0.61/" from the client side

i get error message "Server is not accepting the connections"

Does the above problem has any relations with the telnet service.

because my server is able to connect through telnet ,but my client is

not able to connect to the server.

cheers

Amit Khatri

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
amit khatri wrote:

> I have just connected two pc's using lan cards.
> One is a client and other is server.
> The server is running an httpd daemon (apache).
>
> I have configured the httpd.conf file , with some of main directives as
> follows:
>
> ServerType standalone
>
> ServerName localhost
>
> Listen 80

> My ethernet card has ip address 10.0.0.61
>
> When i type the following line ON THE SERVER ITSELF
>
> "http://10.0.0.61/"
>
> in the netscape navigator i view the default home page saved in directory
> /var/www/html.
>
> But when i try the line "http://10.0.0.61/" from the client side
>
> i get error message "Server is not accepting the connections"
>
> Does the above problem has any relations with the telnet service.
> because my server is able to connect through telnet ,but my client is
> not able to connect to the server.

A few points:

1) Normally, apache listens to all active IP addresses. However, to make
sure (I never trust defaults) make it explicit with:

Listen 10.0.0.61:80

2) Your line:

> ServerName localhost

may have unexpected consequences. This is used by apache to make
self-referential URLs. That is, if you have a directory called "banana"
under you docroot and you type something like "http://10.0.0.61/banana"
(i.e. no trailing slash) into a browser, the server will respond with a
301 redirect to the banana directory. BUT it will use the ServerName to
form the redirect. So your server will respond with
"http://localhost/banana/" - which is not really what you want.

I would either;

- set ServerName 10.0.0.61
- remove ServerName altogether
- set UseCanonicalName off (to diable this redirect behaviour)

read the docs for ServerName and UseCanonicalName for more details.

3) You seem to imply that the client can't even telnet to the server -
if so, there are probably network problems. Is inetd running on the
server? Is inetd.conf set up to allow telnetd etc. to fire up on
incoming connections? Are both network cards configured and working?
(try "ifconfig -a" on both machines to test).

rgds,

Owen Boyle.

RE: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
>>1) Normally, apache listens to all active IP addresses. However, to make
>>sure (I never trust defaults) make it explicit with:
>>Listen 10.0.0.61:80

I think, if you specify 'port 80' then apache listens on all active
interfaces.
If you give 'listen ip:port' , it will listen on that port/ip combination.
Isn't it?

Re: server is not accepting connections [ In reply to ]
Santosh Deshpande wrote:

> >>1) Normally, apache listens to all active IP addresses. However, to make
> >>sure (I never trust defaults) make it explicit with:
> >>Listen 10.0.0.61:80
>
> I think, if you specify 'port 80' then apache listens on all active
> interfaces.
> If you give 'listen ip:port' , it will listen on that port/ip combination.
> Isn't it?

Correct. However, since I can't see the user's entire httpd.conf
(thankfully!) I can't assume he doesn't have another Listen or a
BindAddress directive somewhere which would cancel the defaults. Hence I
never leave any important directives to default - if i define them all I
can be sure of what they're set to.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.