-----Mensagem original-----
De: Paul Stephenson [mailto:PStephenson@ficgroup.com]
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2002 17:17
Para: users@httpd.apache.org
Assunto: RE: Protect directory

If this is done on a linux or unix platform here is how I did it, and
everyone can tell me if it is not secure.

I run the apache as user=www and group=webgroup, therefore if I make every
user that will be hosting pages, I can set the UID of the the person's
folder to their UID, and I set the user's GID in the /etc/passwd file to
'webgroup', and then I do a chmod -R o-x on the user's directory.

So in summary here is what you have:

drwxr-x--- This means that only the folders user can read, write, and
execute, but the group that is running apache has permission to read and
execute. What this means is that multiple people can log onto your ftp
site, see that there are other sites around, but they can't even do an 'ls'
on any of the directories (except for the one they own).

The key thing here is making sure that you have the /etc/passwd file and
/etc/group and /path/to/httpd.conf (for the user and group that runs
apache).

Would appreciate any comments or if I am all fudged up.

Paul